Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Concentration of soap in the belt-hung spray bottle

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DannyB

Hi everyone

I wonder what's the proven concentration of washing up liquid (or washing up liquid plus vinegar) in the belt-hung spray bottle that you would use while working on the ladder. Should the solution be so thick as in the bucket that stays on the ground level, or much thicker? And when it's appropriate to use the spray bottle, is it better to spray from the bottle directly on the window glass, or rather on the cloth or the applicator?

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a hard time figuring you out Danny, no offence. But dip the mop in the bucket, climb up the ladder, wash the window, climb down the ladder, move on to next window. Pretty straight forward!

Have a hard time figuring you out Danny, no offence. But dip the mop in the bucket, climb up the ladder, wash the window, climb down the ladder, move on to next window. Pretty straight forward!
It's really very straightforward, Jacob. The bucket is certainly available not only for the ground work, but also for work on higher stories windows while you being on the ladder, and you can wet the mop before climbing on the ladder - it's quite clear even to me. Absolutely no-nonsensical.

But even in the world of so amazing possibilities, some people use belt-hung spray bottles, too - don't they? And especially when you're doing first clean and the windows are very dirty, you may even use a wet cloth on the glass before using a mop, and you may wet the cloth even more than once while being on the ladder, am I right? Really, if I didn't see the belt-hung spray bottles also on Polzn Bladz's belt, I don't think I would think about the belt-hung bottles at all...

bottle on a belt is a timewaster in my opinion. i used one for about 6 months messing about filling it becomes a drag quickly

but if you had a prestige job ,it might look good on the belt -a showmans tool

bottle on a belt is a timewaster in my opinion. i used one for about 6 months messing about filling it becomes a drag quickly
Sure, it's also a possibility to have it on the belt only to impress. But what about dirty sills? Wouldn't it at least make sense to use a bottle with some solution of Cif, and to wet a cloth or the sill itself from such bottle?

I have a bottle on my belt bit its just an old ecover bottle not a spray one. I use it when I'm working away from the bucket. Its a lifesaver when working in awkward spots when your applicator dries up. the stuff in the bottle is a stronger solution to whats in the bucket so if the window doesnt have enough suds then I give a little squirt and its good to go, but its still weak enough to use independantly from the bucket for some time before it get too claggy.

I usually give about 2 seconds squirt in the bucket, and about 1 second squirt in the bottle if that helps.

Unless a first clean which if that dirty I'd waggle my stick at it to get the frames etc clean i exclusively use either a spray or bottle on my belt

The spray i am not so keen on now after the breeze blowing wrong the other day and whichever side i did it blew on to the already cleaned ones and made them all spotty with a fine mist

I have a 5l old virosol container in the motor filled with soap, vinegar and pure which i keep my bottle topped up from

I use an old flash concentrate bottle (the huge one they do)

Excellent as with the weird cap it won't let you squeeze out too much at once

Now when i use my trolley i have the applicator and wagtail on top of the drum (gonna make a couple of holders for them tomorrow, pre mix bottle in my pocket and microfibre in the other pocket or over my shoulder..streamlined my kit big time

Many thanks, TolishAPurd and daveboy1. You both know very well what you're talking about.

Agree less is more, specially when carring it on the waist all day.

one benefit of a spray bottle is to get one up on aggresive dogs. a big dog used to charge at me every visit and one day he was attacking,i had only 2 or 3 seconds to spare before the bite when i sprayed him between the eyes ,bullseye! he stopped in his tracks and then ran indoors.

from that moment on i used to relish each visit. id carefully adjusting the nozzle before i left the van,long reach jet was the winner , then like a marksman id tiptoe off and stalk him /emoticons/smile.png

The answer to your question Danny is whatever mix you feel gives you a workable solution.

The sprayers on belts are brilliant, when on trad I used to use one all the time, made life real easy.

No we do a lot of builders cleans we are using them again as having buckets of water around sites where you still have tradesmen finishing up and paying no attention is not so practical.

most sprayers on the market dont last long if you use them much , cheaply made tat . one that really does last i forget its makers name,itll come to me ,its called mayfly or lacewing no thats not it - some kind of fly i will edit this once i find it , not expensive under a tenner

I have to agree with @Jacob

Danny - just clean windows mate, stop the science, no offence, but it really doesn't matter, just shove a load of fairy in the bucket, and crack on, it really doesn't even need to cross your mind...

That soap is just as good as the asda eco stuff

The pop up lid fits perfectly on the 1l asda one too so i now have some pop up big bottles as the normal flip lids always snap off on me

So close Jake but no cigar, you were right about the volume of the squeegee but forgot to divide that by the width of the blade (as you said not the length) :whistle:
Ah yes I must remember that, I should have also used the square route of 0.4555 on the squeegee handle + 76% of the atmospheric pressure,

But hey, you can't have it all can ya'

:rofl:

+ 76% of the atmospheric pressure,
But hey, you can't have it all can ya'
Yes, but that's where it all falls apart, the pressure changes minute to minute so at the end of the day the solution you start with at 8am is null and void by 8.01am.

At least this brings us to the conclusion which is: Sod window cleaning it's way too complex, lets all go get shelf filling jobs at Tescos.

Latest Posts

Back