Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WTF!!! Typical

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

Long story short.... I moved into a new house last August, needed to buy an RO as the water is 200PPM where at my last house it was around 050PPM. So I buy a setup from PF costing me £1200. All was fine, water pressure of 40psi TDS out of RO around 015PPM. Then, in the spring the water board start upgrading the pipes and pressure dropped down to 20psi, I was getting 044PPM out of the RO. So I buy a new membrane costing £300, this brought the TDS down to 017PPM. I was still not happy so I spent over £400 on a booster pump. Magic!!! Psi up to 80psi and TDS down to 009PPM out of the RO. Yesterday the whole estates water pressure was none existent, in the shower the water just dribbled out, that don't bother me I thought as I'm getting a decent flow off the booster to fill up. Low and behold today the mains pressure has jumped up to 60psi and I'm getting 120psi out of my booster and a TDS of 007PPM. If this pressure holds up I've gone and wasted £400!

Wouldn't the pressure remain the same just by turning the tap down? I would have thought this would only reduce the flow rate and not the pressure?
I agree.  Pressure and flow are two different things.  The pump will struggle to draw water from the restricted supply, could result in shortening the pump life.

For the pump to be able to generate the 120psi of output pressure the flow rate in must also be very good. Reducing the flow rate (the pump can work down at about 20lpm if needed) to a slightly lower rate means the pump will not generate as much extra pressure. As long as the flow rate in is not lower than 20lpm then all should be fine.

Of course if the mains stays at a regular 60psi then it may best to sell the pump on to someone who needs it and get some cash back :1f603:

For the pump to be able to generate the 120psi of output pressure the flow rate in must also be very good. Reducing the flow rate (the pump can work down at about 20lpm if needed) to a slightly lower rate means the pump will not generate as much extra pressure. As long as the flow rate in is not lower than 20lpm then all should be fine.

Of course if the mains stays at a regular 60psi then it may best to sell the pump on to someone who needs it and get some cash back :1f603:

Wanna buy a second hand booster Mr G?

Not really, my mains pressure is 110psi without a booster pump :1f609:

I would suggest monitoring the water pressure for a while as generally water boards go around reducing pressure rather than increasing it. Once the works have settled down they may reduce it back down to what they can get away with.

Long story short.... I moved into a new house last August, needed to buy an RO as the water is 200PPM where at my last house it was around 050PPM. So I buy a setup from PF costing me £1200. All was fine, water pressure of 40psi TDS out of RO around 015PPM. Then, in the spring the water board start upgrading the pipes and pressure dropped down to 20psi, I was getting 044PPM out of the RO. So I buy a new membrane costing £300, this brought the TDS down to 017PPM. I was still not happy so I spent over £400 on a booster pump. Magic!!! Psi up to 80psi and TDS down to 009PPM out of the RO. Yesterday the whole estates water pressure was none existent, in the shower the water just dribbled out, that don't bother me I thought as I'm getting a decent flow off the booster to fill up. Low and behold today the mains pressure has jumped up to 60psi and I'm getting 120psi out of my booster and a TDS of 007PPM. If this pressure holds up I've gone and wasted £400!
just think of the tax relef at the end of the year  :1f602:

I would suggest monitoring the water pressure for a while as generally water boards go around reducing pressure rather than increasing it. Once the works have settled down they may reduce it back down to what they can get away with.

Agreed!! I can't see it staying at 60psi for ever. I spoke to a water board worker a few weeks ago and he said they have to offer 1 bar of pressure as a minimum, so why it's now sky high is anyone's guess.

Agreed!! I can't see it staying at 60psi for ever. I spoke to a water board worker a few weeks ago and he said they have to offer 1 bar of pressure as a minimum, so why it's now sky high is anyone's guess.

It could be that they are putting the piping under a 'shake down' load to find any weak spots.

Latest Posts

Back