Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

General inquiry, how do you count windows?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

I’m interested to know how you all “count” windows. On a number of occasions customers have said how many windows they have (i dont ask as i price in person via viewing, but in their mind its to help me gauge size of the house i guess ?‍♂️

e.g. front of semis with bay windows, there are often 4 or 5 windows on the bay, now to some customers that classes as “a window” to me it classes as 5 windows (you’d have to move the ladder & get up & down it 5 times, you also have to shuffle your feet and wfp 5 times) same at the bottom, one bay but 5 windows.

so theres 10 straight away before the front door or single window at the top above the door. It crazes me to think people class bay windows as one window. 

As for a 4 pane unit e.g. 2 top openers and two larger bottom panes i just class that as one large window. 

Some people would say if it has a pane, surrounded by a frame, its a window. 

still. It doesn’t really matter as in my mind i’ll price what a jobs worth...but just generally interested, as i do scratch my head when people say they’ve got 12 windows, you show up and there’s more like 25 ? cheers.

- my general assumption would be is each individually fitted unit is a window?

Last edited by a moderator:
I count the panes of glass when I'm pricing. I never go on a customers description of their windows. "1 window" can be anywhere from a frosted side window to a 12 pane bay.

I use Google earth if I don't want to drive there as you can use the 3d to get an all round view of the house from every angle in surprisingly high detail. Enough to count the number, size, type and position of the windows as well as assess access.

I count the panes of glass when I'm pricing. I never go on a customers description of their windows. "1 window" can be anywhere from a frosted side window to a 12 pane bay.

I use Google earth if I don't want to drive there as you can use the 3d to get an all round view of the house from every angle in surprisingly high detail. Enough to count the number, size, type and position of the windows as well as assess access.
Precisely! That made me laugh lol

The truth is, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The number of windows you’ll need to clean will depend on a variety of factors, including the size and type of window, the level of dirt and grime build-up, and your personal cleaning preferences.

Back