getting over heights

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by All Round Cleaning, May 5, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

I know it sounds stupid but how do you trad guys overcome your fear of heights ???
    I'm not scared of heights it's just the scared of falling part that gets me
    ie slipping on a rung etc jus makes me a bit giddy lol .

Advertisement
  2. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

I get a funny feeling when I'm up the triple storeys, but won't have to worry anymore as will have a pole. I don't even think about it, it's just up the ladder clean back down, up clean down, up clean down all day lol

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Being scared is a good thing mate, it's always in the back of my mind I've seen some windys who obviosly arnt scared of heights and the pull some daft manovers up ladders, if you put safety first you will be fine

4. beaver0_15

beaver0_15 Active Member

u gradually just get used to it, i used to be scared of ladders n what have u, when i first worked on a building site it used to take me ten mins to get to top of ladder then id practically crawl round the scaffold, 6 years later n i barely have any fear of ladders. i get a little bit of fear n go a bit steadier when im up 3 storeys but thats about it

5. Ryan

Ryan Guest

ON my own i'm the same tbh hate it

i dont think there anything u can do if it effects you just be confidant and set the ladder up right and u be ok mate

6. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

As J. Clarkson says "It's not speed that kills. It's the suddenly stopping that does it"

Don't worry about the heights. It's the hitting the ground you have to worry about. :)

7. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

when you know your ladder is set up right and you know what you can and cant do(experience), you will have confidence, i literally run up and down the ladders sometimes, and i always feel completely safe doing it!

8. Paul

Paul Guest

Lol @ vito now that's mean :D

9. laddergarder

I think everyone feels the same when they just start out using ladders, and yes someone times experience and over confidence can lead to accidents, so that fear is not a bad thing. More often that not accidents happen on ladders for one or two reasons. It is improperly racked, or the operator did not keep a good grip of the rungs when ascending and descending.

Keep the correct ratios, 1/3 to 1/4 of the height away from the building when racking, considering levelling, the surface, both where the ladder is racked and what it is racked against. Then finally check it. A good test to ensure a ladder wont slip out is to, put two hands behind the ladder, loosely hold it, and pull it towards you. If the top lifts of the wall/sill its racked against, then its good, or if other thing happens and the feet slip towards you, don't get on it. Experiences will tell you when the surface could be dangerous.

There is weather factors to consider as well which could affect how stable the ladder could be, ice on the road, frozen ground, snow, wet conditions creating slip hazards, windy conditions etc.

As for going up and down the ladder, use both hands, buy a holster for your gear, hold the rungs not the rails of the ladder, as you ascend and descend and you will be fine.

Take you time, rack it safely, use it safely, when its safe, and you will be safe.

10. Paul

Paul Guest

Good bit of info there ladder, nice to see you back

Advertisement