Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gocardless

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It is laughable when I hear of the reason why window cleaners won't use it is because of cost. It literally costs pennies and if you're running the business at even an average window cleaner turnover, the cost is a bit like saying you're trying to skimp on water to save money.

It's pennies for an easier life. Instead of waiting for the customer to pay you... and checking your bank account wondering when to send out that reminder for payment text... you just take it when 'you' want. It gives you much more control.

It saves you time and hassle. I've used it for 3 years from day one and don't regret it. I take cash, bank transfer and GC. My preference is GC because it caused virtually zero problems. Currently I've got cash payments waiting, bank transfers waiting but GC it's extremely rare to have any waiting / unpaid. Probably about 1 per year.

GC is very flexible. You can set up the direct debit to come out on the last day of each month, once every 4 weeks, once every 2 months, once every 8 weeks, you can take single one off payments like a first clean / fascia / gutter / conservatory roof clean. You can even take instant payments on it now.

I've got customers who are on tight budgets and for them the ability to set the direct debit to come out on a set date each month is a huge plus. Without that I'm sure I wouldn't have some of my customers. They like to have the direct debit going out on or just after pay day.

I think the old saying goes 'don't knock it till you've tried it'. Most on here who knock it haven't tried it.
I am definitely looking into it mate. My newborn daughter hasn't been to well tonight so not had much chance. I will be tomorrow though!

Depends on the customer but I know them all pretty well. I either double up on the next visit or send a reminder text. Either way, they all pay and it's minimal effort.
It might be minimal effort in your view, for me a reminder text is a pita. That's where direct debit is the main benefit, there are zero reminder texts and zero doubling up on payments. It's full control and hassle free if you set it up for automation.

15 minutes a week doesn't interfere with my evenings and weekends.
It would take me longer than 15 minutes to go through my debt list and cross-reference any incoming payments and then send texts out to those who haven't paid, genuinely surprised that it only takes you 15 minutes

It seems there’s been a shift in opinion on the forum reading this. This place used to be pro GoCardless with some of the old boys arguing against, this reads the opposite way. I personally think the angry GoCardless haters just had their Weetabix yesterday ?

With regards to the original question… GoCardless can be great for some businesses. If you’re planning to run a professional company of a reasonable size, it’s a must in the modern world. The concerns people have about customers not wanting to sign up are ?? there are 2 types of customer that won’t use GoCardless, the old lady with no email address who is always home to pay you cash… and the PITA who will mess you around and pay you when they feel like. They will sign up if you speak confidently about it and tell them that’s how you collect.

If someone is doing this as a small thing till they retire, wanting to work part time or as a side hustle they may not want GoCardless eating into their profits. Even then I would argue you’d be better off doing one job per week more and using GC than spending time matching payments up.

It seems there’s been a shift in opinion on the forum reading this. This place used to be pro GoCardless with some of the old boys arguing against, this reads the opposite way. I personally think the angry GoCardless haters just had their Weetabix yesterday ?

With regards to the original question… GoCardless can be great for some businesses. If you’re planning to run a professional company of a reasonable size, it’s a must in the modern world. The concerns people have about customers not wanting to sign up are ?? there are 2 types of customer that won’t use GoCardless, the old lady with no email address who is always home to pay you cash… and the PITA who will mess you around and pay you when they feel like. They will sign up if you speak confidently about it and tell them that’s how you collect.

If someone is doing this as a small thing till they retire, wanting to work part time or as a side hustle they may not want GoCardless eating into their profits. Even then I would argue you’d be better off doing one job per week more and using GC than spending time matching payments up.
Again I think this might be area related , I dont want to go down this route , but from talking to a few local cleaners many will not sign up to it as I said earlier one guy has lost a huge amount of work due to insisting that he will only accept GC payment . I dont find I have a problem with receiving payments i encourage BACS payments but we do still accept cash and a few cheques , I do allow some customers build up 3-5 cleans before paying as some live abroad or work away but then they will come back and pay up to a year in advance , I think the problem with poor or slow payers is ones not setting their stall out at the quoting stage I now stress a maximum of two cleans without payment , I occasionally get ones that are slow and after a reminder if they continue slow they get dumped , the Cornish do not like the thought of someone taking money out of their account , they are very set in their ways , I find ones that move down from up country are far more flexible in their approach and many pay by BACS before we have evan finished the clean . Everyone runs there buissines how they want to what suites one won’t suite the other .

Just had an interesting bit on the local news saying that a large precentage of people are going away from dd , credit cards , and going back to cash as they can budget better and not get into debt so easily , several were interviewed and surprisingly it was the younger generation and the really old doing it . Will be interesting to see how it all pans out

It would take me longer than 15 minutes to go through my debt list and cross-reference any incoming payments and then send texts out to those who haven't paid, genuinely surprised that it only takes you 15 minutes
It probably would if you've been on go cardless 6 years. It takes a bit of effort to get it streamlined and efficient but works well once you've got it right.

It probably would if you've been on go cardless 6 years. It takes a bit of effort to get it streamlined and efficient but works well once you've got it right.
Typo there, I should have written over 8 years ? I use Cleaner Planner so going through my debt list is easy just the less I have to do the better

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, it's not just the non payers that take up a little bit of your time. There are the customers that text you to say they've paid. As nice as it is it's extra time and if you're polite and reply that's also extra time. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have a bit of interaction and can make the job seem a little less isolated, but if I didn't have GC I think my phone would be lighting up like a Christmas Tree all the time. I'd rather do the clean and that's it, done, no further texts.

Over 30 years ago I remember we used to have to go to the Gas board shop and electric shop to pay the bills over the counter, I am guessing it's still the norm down your way and I know net curtains as still in vogue ?
Lol I was in spar today and yes someone was putting £20 on their key for electric ??? , also have a lot of customers with net curtains ???

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, it's not just the non payers that take up a little bit of your time. There are the customers that text you to say they've paid. As nice as it is it's extra time and if you're polite and reply that's also extra time. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have a bit of interaction and can make the job seem a little less isolated, but if I didn't have GC I think my phone would be lighting up like a Christmas Tree all the time. I'd rather do the clean and that's it, done, no further texts.
I have some that pay by BASC they screen shot the transaction and txt it to me ???

Lol I was in spar today and yes someone was putting £20 on their key for electric ??? , also have a lot of customers with net curtains ???
Times have moved on a bit then, I heard Poldark had closed his tin mine in the last 2-3 years and no longer rides through town on horseback, 1669183638186.png But they do still dress like this in your neck of the woods don't they?

Times have moved on a bit then, I heard Poldark had closed his tin mine in the last 2-3 years and no longer rides through town on horseback, View attachment 27607 But they do still dress like this in your neck of the woods don't they?
Lol have watched them doing some of the filming for this as some is only 3 miles down the road , I think all have moved forward from the clothing and no operational tin mines that I know of , lithium mining is ware it’s at at the moment looks very promising

Lol have watched them doing some of the filming for this as some is only 3 miles down the road , I think all have moved forward from the clothing and no operational tin mines that I know of , lithium mining is ware it’s at at the moment looks very promising
You've got a space port now as well so very futuristic :cool: Won't be long now before there is a need for window cleaners on Mars ?

Yes Newquay airport , and goonhilly downs has the dishes that follow and monitor the satellites all very high tech stuff in sleepy Cornwall ???
I'm fascinated by that type of stuff and was pleased to hear that they were pushing for it and got the approval, very forward thinking. I'd imagine it would bring even more tourism to Cornwall, people will come from all over the world to see the rockets taking off. Lovely place to go see them as well.

Back