Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

heavy red algae staining - best strategy

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Its better with two folk when cleaning with Hypo. One doing job and other as a look out. A Postman darted in when I was doing it and it dripped on his red jacket. Last time I saw him he had a white strip down the back of his jacket and reminded me what could have happened if it landed on his skin. Don't really do it now bar a Sunday for friends.

Who has approved the additive though, Benz had to go through a process to get it registered as an approved product. How and what they did I don't know but initially their Lightning Cleanze wasn't an approved product. People complained about it and their hand was forced to pay the money to get it tested.
These additives are designed by chemists that understand what can safely be put with what , then guess they get them approved so they are allowed to be put in hypochlorite, bit like anyone that designs something that has to work with another object , like an engine manufacturer with work with a gearbox manufacturer to make sure the gearbox can handle the power from the engine . The data sheets that come with the surfactants say it’s approved to be added to hypochlorite, it’s all way above my pay grade ???? I did have a customer who is an industrial chemist and he explained it to me a few years ago but didn’t fully understand it to be honest .

These additives are designed by chemists that understand what can safely be put with what , then guess they get them approved so they are allowed to be put in hypochlorite, bit like anyone that designs something that has to work with another object , like an engine manufacturer with work with a gearbox manufacturer to make sure the gearbox can handle the power from the engine . The data sheets that come with the surfactants say it’s approved to be added to hypochlorite, it’s all way above my pay grade ???? I did have a customer who is an industrial chemist and he explained it to me a few years ago but didn’t fully understand it to be honest .
Don't mix Fairly liquid with hypo. Folk do it and think its okay but can be detrimental to our health.

As I said I don't know, only went on a course to learn how to softwash and have come away with more questions then I went with. As I said earlier the data sheets wont strictly apply as you've now got 2 different chemicals so strictly speaking you need a data sheet for that. We were told that, God forbid, you cause a serious amount of damage your insurance company will ask for the CAS number of the chemical you were using. They will then check that on the registry and check you were using it for it's intended purpose and hypo isn't intended for cleaning buildings. Anyway my brain hurts so off to watch some boring telly.

I spoke to @Part Timer yesterday about this and phoned the HSE , several manufacturers and suppliers , Evan the HSE said and I quote it’s a “grey area “but they advised having data sheets for all chemicals and additives being used with you along with coshh details , rams etc at this time there is no recognised industry standard , this was supposed to have been implemented several years ago but still hasn’t ,until there is something in place things will remain grey , it’s very confusing for all . But if you try your best to comply with the current vague details that Evan on the HSE web site seam to contradict themselves that’s all you can do . So far from what they said only warnings have been given from the EA about potential pollution incidents etc . Time will tell how all this pans out .
Thanks very much for that and good of you to share it.

Thanks very much for that and good of you to share it.
Ime a great believer in sharing knowledge and this subject is a difficult one as there is no specific regulations at this time , a little knowledge can be very dangerous ime still learning and dont profess to have the knowledge that some do on hear , but ime always willing to learn but like to get facts from those who do know what they are talking about like the HSE as it’s them that should be overseeing all this and informing us .

The only thing, potentially, I can see wrong in this is that as you've added 2 different chemicals together the data sheets don't apply as it's now a cocktail rather than a single chemical, @kevinc250 might have a better insight
I do wonder sometimes if we all get a bit too wrapped up in the whole surfactant issue. I know the purpose it serves but the reality is hypo still works perfectly well without one, including on vertical surfaces.
I can see (& smell) the benefits of a scent masker, but as for a surfactant itself it seems to work equally well with or without one.

I do wonder sometimes if we all get a bit too wrapped up in the whole surfactant issue. I know the purpose it serves but the reality is hypo still works perfectly well without one, including on vertical surfaces.
I can see (& smell) the benefits of a scent masker, but as for a surfactant itself it seems to work equally well with or without one.
When I first started I didn’t use a surfactant, but since using it do find many benefits the main two are it does cling to the vertical surfaces much better and slows it drying out a lot , we don’t use scent mask anymore as several of us were allergic to it .

Ime a great believer in sharing knowledge and this subject is a difficult one as there is no specific regulations at this time , a little knowledge can be very dangerous ime still learning and dont profess to have the knowledge that some do on hear , but ime always willing to learn but like to get facts from those who do know what they are talking about like the HSE as it’s them that should be overseeing all this and informing us .
Yes I agree completely and with so much misinformation available online these things do need some official clarification. Grey areas only encourage different interpretations. No doubt sonner or later soft washing will end up being regulated

Yes I agree completely and with so much misinformation available online these things do need some official clarification. Grey areas only encourage different interpretations. No doubt sonner or later soft washing will end up being regulated
Yes I agree the sooner the better , until there is regulation there cannot be any recognised courses as there is nothing to base the training on . None of the courses at this time are a recognised qualification,I have been on 3 courses and have certification but it’s not worth the paper it’s written on, having said that any training is good to raise awareness and safety of how to do the job but we need some formal agreed process for all this, the HSE said it should have been in place years ago but still isn’t at this time who knows when it will . As soon as there is an approved course with a level 2,3 or what ever that’s recognised I will be the first to book on it

if i'm honest, judging from the photo's given, there are many options, only you guys go off on one citing laws and regulations when really the op needs more education or is not very secure in softwashing the thing i have learned in life is that your current tutor may not be the best so, you you move on to a better tutor and then move upwards and onwards
for me give me those jobs all day long-perfect for me.

Back