Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need more length on pole or new pole, what to do?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

Got an SLX 18 with an extension so 22 ft, but it doesn't reach windows on second floors set back- now where near. Shall I get another 2 or 3 extensions from Gardiner?

I have a grafter Ionics 32 but it's really 28 feet, try that or get an extension for that? Hate this heavy pole though.

Sell both poles.
Buy a good 35ft pole. Remove bottom 3 sections and order a new end cap. Now you have about 18ft with 3 extensions for when needed.

I no understand, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
green has it right 35 ft pole cover all your graft, take couple sections of and your down to your standard

22ft pole or 25ft

22ft gardiner ideal standard pole closes down shortgreat for tight spaces

25ft all rounder covers 95% graft longer abit akward when going around connys

working at height steady pole

this is the pole I use all the time, then when needed anything higher I pull out the killer

slx 47ft heavy but gd just as well dont use it a lot

All a bit confusing whether to just buy 3 more extensions ( I have an SLX 18 with one extension) and three more would take it to 34 ft. I could keep the 3 or 4 extra extensions in the car for when needed I suppose or as Green said just get a 35 ft pole.

Spoke to the lady at Gardiners and she said I could get the 35 ft pole as a second pole to my SLX 18/22- it would cost £450 or get 3 more extensions to my SLX 22 which would cost £250. I have an old Ionics grafter as a backup pole if this one breaks. Just get the extensions?

She said getting the 35ft pole and using the bottom 2 as an 18ft pole was ok but had no protection against touching an electric pilon!! As it's all pure carbon apparently.

She said getting the 35ft pole and using the bottom 2 as an 18ft pole was ok but had no protection against touching an electric pilon!! As it's all pure carbon apparently
This BS really winds me up. Was she trained by solar steve? When was the last time you heard of anyone touching a sodding electric pilon with a wfp?

More chance of a lotto win.

Spoke to the lady at Gardiners and she said I could get the 35 ft pole as a second pole to my SLX 18/22- it would cost £450 or get 3 more extensions to my SLX 22 which would cost £250. I have an old Ionics grafter as a backup pole if this one breaks. Just get the extensions?
She said getting the 35ft pole and using the bottom 2 as an 18ft pole was ok but had no protection against touching an electric pilon!! As it's all pure carbon apparently.
She has advised you correctly :thumbsup:

Before buying any option though, as you have an older 28ft Grafter pole, why not use this once on the job and see exactly what height pole you need for the work? This way you may be able to get away with only buying 2 extensions or just a 30ft pole. This could save you money.

This BS really winds me up. Was she trained by solar steve? When was the last time you heard of anyone touching a sodding electric pilon with a wfp?More chance of a lotto win.
I'm sorry that our industry leading advice has wound you up /emoticons/sad.png

Having the advantage of interacting regularly with over 10,000 clients using carbon poles we are aware of 3 of our own clients in the last 4 years who have done just this and touched domestic overhead powerlines. In 2 of these cases this was with just an 18ft SLX pole the other was with a 22ft CLX pole.

In each case the top of the pole exploded and was destroyed, but the operator was unhurt as they were holding the insulated handle section of our pole. For this reason as a responsible company we have to advise clients in the best working practice - we also prefer our clients to stay alive as the chances are they will buy more from us /emoticons/wink.png

One of these incidents was reported on in the Window Cleaning magazine by Lee Burbidge about 18 months ago.

Also a client of a South African Distributor of ours ended up in hospital as he was using a Super-Lite modular pole without the insulated #6 section and he was badly burnt when he hit an overhead power cable. So the risk is a very real one - however it is up to individual clients to assess the risk of them hitting power cables and if they want to use a section without an insulated handle they can - we could never advise this for obvious safety and legal reasons though.

Surprisingly there are still some pole manufacturers who do not insulate the handle section of their poles.

She has advised you correctly :thumbsup:
Before buying any option though, as you have an older 28ft Grafter pole, why not use this once on the job and see exactly what height pole you need for the work? This way you may be able to get away with only buying 2 extensions or just a 30ft pole. This could save you money.

The 28 ft Ionics grafter is so heavy extended that it's a headache to use and anyhow too short for the occasional window I clean on a third floor.

Best to get 3 extensions so 34 ft or get a new 35 ft pole and have a new pole as well?

The 28 ft Ionics grafter is so heavy extended that it's a headache to use and anyhow too short for the occasional window I clean on a third floor.
Best to get 3 extensions so 34 ft or get a new 35 ft pole and have a new pole as well?
That would be the solution in this case.

Personally I find the benefit of having two poles is good, but the extension would be a cheaper option - remember if doing this to also buy/make a longer hose pack for using when the extensions are added. saves having too much hose in use when used without the extensions::):

I am par time still and working in my car; will get a van eventually. Will check how much yellow hose is on my SLX18, then decide whether to get the 35 ft pole aswell.

Still haven't decided, I work p/t on my growing business from car- just pay the extra £200 so £450 and get the SLX 35 and have another pole? I will only occasionally use it though lol

On the topic of electric pilons-

I will almost certainly will hit my SLX 18 into one of these at some point-

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/A0BH2H/telegraph-pole-in-residential-street-haringey-london-england-uk-A0BH2H.jpg

Will I get electrocuted?

The chances of hitting one of these though is slim-

bt pole - Google Search

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a phone line your should be ok, the ones ive hit havent done anything but you never know just be careful

Yeah there's a big chance I will hit one of those wires coming off the wooden poles with the metal things sticking out for climbing up, I guess they're for telephone lines not sure. How about hitting a wire coming off one of these with ladder?

When i did some work with Damo it was a doddle to add or remove sections as all his extensions etc are interchangeable with all his gardiner poles

Disconnect at the brush end and the hose drops out, put extensions on, feed hose back in and reconnect the brush end

Takes 30 seconds and well worth temoving again when you know the next house doesn’t need it to reduce weight

By the time you swap poles there is not much time difference in it

And saves you 200 notes

U can't use the bottom to as an additional pole as the angle adapted is to skinny for the whole that's left.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

Back