Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hiring my first employee

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bella

I'm currently in the hiring process for my first employee. While I'm unsure whether it's being overly cautious, I'm concerned about the possibility of the employee taking my customers. Would it be advisable to include a non-competition clause in the contract, specifically limited to the customers assigned to them? I'd appreciate insights from employers

I'm currently in the hiring process for my first employee. While I'm unsure whether it's being overly cautious, I'm concerned about the possibility of the employee taking my customers. Would it be advisable to include a non-competition clause in the contract, specifically limited to the customers assigned to them? I'd appreciate insights from employers
I doubt they are worth anything in this game unless you’re talking about big commercial jobs. If you were to pursue a potential employee in this situation it would result in a legal situation which will cost you money, time and stress.

There are lots of things a contract should include like if they damage equipment/vehicles who pays (probably insurance excess), do they get sick pay or statutory sick pay, what happens when too wet or cold to work, etc..... None compete clauses are good but if it where to go to court the employee could claim you are stopping them working - which I don't think is legal. Plus your cost to get it to court!!!!
Unfortunately best to get a solicitor who knows employment law to draw up a contract to cover you!

i used to keep a [fake] copy of the customer list in the van glove box just in case a worker was tempted to start on his own ,i had it in a flashy black/gold binder .Nobody took the bait!
I have had 15 or so workers over the yrs[all parttime to start with], non set up on their own after leaving .

Would you not be with the person working ? Expecting someone to work on his own all day everyday is a bit much imo. If you do that and there doing the same work every month then it's human nature they are going to have some sort of dialogue with alot of customers each month and could potentially take them from you quite easily.

When I worked for someone 2 weeks out the month me and someone else done the same run all the time and when i left I could have easily took atleast 80%. When I was telling them I was leaving they said they would switch over to me. I got on with the guy who owned the buisnes, he has over 14k houses a month to do so has plenty. He was always fair with me tbh and although he has 14k houses now, he started with none and built it up. He was good enough to give me a job and moraliy I'd think it was wrong.

There's been instances where I've seen others take work in the same circumstances with ease though.

Back