Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How am I gonna get this off?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Residue as in colour staining, or as in a sticky substance? Could try some kind of tar & Glue remover, but that may also take off the stickered part of the window. Might sadly be a case of replacing the stickers.

Residue as in colour staining, or as in a sticky substance? Could try some kind of tar & Glue remover, but that may also take off the stickered part of the window. Might sadly be a case of replacing the stickers.
I used sticker remover a few weeks back when some absolute tw4t stuck a message on with brown tape and the letters were ok. All I’ve been told is the paint is gone but there are still red marks where it was. It appears to just be normal water based paint so I was considering swinging by Screwfix for some turps or similar.

Come on @Pjj I was relying on you for this one ???
All depends what the surface coating is I would use thinners but ime used to doing that on delicate surfaces but wouldn’t encourage anyone else to do it as it’s very easy to dissolve the surface and cause irreparable damage , pvc solvent cleaner is very good but again it can cause damage if you aren’t careful

I used sticker remover a few weeks back when some absolute tw4t stuck a message on with brown tape and the letters were ok. All I’ve been told is the paint is gone but there are still red marks where it was. It appears to just be normal water based paint so I was considering swinging by Screwfix for some turps or similar.
Turps is petroleum based and won't shift water based paint as far as I know. Wife says to try sugar soap. :unsure:

All depends what the surface coating is I would use thinners but ime used to doing that on delicate surfaces but wouldn’t encourage anyone else to do it as it’s very easy to dissolve the surface and cause irreparable damage , pvc solvent cleaner is very good but again it can cause damage if you aren’t careful
Turps is petroleum based and won't shift water based paint as far as I know. Wife says to try sugar soap. :unsure:

It’s a plastic film. The standard type they apply to exterior shop windows. I’ve got some PVC cleaner in the garage. I think I’m gonna take some sugar soap, magic sponge and if that doesn’t do it then I’ll try the magic sponge and pvc cleaner ? thanks chaps

It’s a plastic film. The standard type they apply to exterior shop windows. I’ve got some PVC cleaner in the garage. I think I’m gonna take some sugar soap, magic sponge and if that doesn’t do it then I’ll try the magic sponge and pvc cleaner ? thanks chaps
Just reading @spruce comments if it’s water based paint then he’s right thinners or any spirit base solvent won’t do a lot , maskme bronze wool and a lubricant would remove it ?.

Used degreaser and some PVC cleaner. Did the trick nicely. Until the next time it happens. Someone sent a box of ? to her the other week, that made the national papers too.
I wonder if there is some sort of coating that could be applied to make it easier to get future paint off? Like rainX type stuff that helps keep windscreens clear of rain?

Back