Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do I clear algae from my RO

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Evening chaps, recently had an issue with Algae growing inside my RO system. It’s all over the sediment filter and inside the tubing between the carbon filter and the RO itself. It was also in the output tubing but I changed this for blue stuff instead of clear. Pics of the problem attached.

I’m sure this will be one for @spruce and @doug atkinson but any help is appreciated. I’m due to change the membrane shortly and don’t want to do it if I’ll cause damage to a new one ??‍♂️

17A6E231-6875-4E68-BD92-F2C7F29844E8.jpeg

7824FA86-A9F8-4C4C-A883-EB4AEE258532.jpeg

If changing the membrane I would put a hypo mix through the system remove the di first and then give it a thorough flush with fresh water that will kill the algi  off , my concern would be preventing it coming back , I assume it’s exposed to sun light ?? Might pay  to change the tubing to black that’s what mine has and never get any growth . 

If changing the membrane I would put a hypo mix through the system remove the di first and then give it a thorough flush with fresh water that will kill the algi  off , my concern would be preventing it coming back , I assume it’s exposed to sun light ?? Might pay  to change the tubing to black that’s what mine has and never get any growth . 
The blue tubing I've replaced the output with will do that I think mate. It's different to my old house. The garage at the old house had a solid door, this new garage has a plastic window across the top that will let in sunlight. That's clearly adding to the problem. I think I'm going to use some 1/2" stem to barb connections to switch to hose throughout instead of any JG tubing.

I did think about Hypo. I figured if I cleaned it out to last until the new one arrives that should work. I wasn't sure if running Hypo through the system would cause long term damage or not. Do we think that running Hypo through and then flushing for quite a while before changing the membrane.

I could just buy another system if absolutely needed. Also seems it might be worth changing the blue filter housings instead of clear ones.

The blue tubing I've replaced the output with will do that I think mate. It's different to my old house. The garage at the old house had a solid door, this new garage has a plastic window across the top that will let in sunlight. That's clearly adding to the problem. I think I'm going to use some 1/2" stem to barb connections to switch to hose throughout instead of any JG tubing.

I did think about Hypo. I figured if I cleaned it out to last until the new one arrives that should work. I wasn't sure if running Hypo through the system would cause long term damage or not. Do we think that running Hypo through and then flushing for quite a while before changing the membrane.

I could just buy another system if absolutely needed. Also seems it might be worth changing the blue filter housings instead of clear ones.
I do know people that flush hypo through there membranes and say that it  makes them last longer , I cannot see that but short term flushing it with a weak mix I don’t think would hurt the hoses and fittings , I flush my tanks out annually to prevent bacterial growth ( slime in the tank) works a treat, would be interesting to hear what @doug atkinson has to say , I haven’t put it through my membranes only the pumps hoses and tanks , I pump it around the system ,leave it for a couple of hours then empty it all out and flush through , never have any issues at all . 

I do know people that flush hypo through there membranes and say that it  makes them last longer , I cannot see that but short term flushing it with a weak mix I don’t think would hurt the hoses and fittings , I flush my tanks out annually to prevent bacterial growth ( slime in the tank) works a treat, would be interesting to hear what @doug atkinson has to say , I haven’t put it through my membranes only the pumps hoses and tanks , I pump it around the system ,leave it for a couple of hours then empty it all out and flush through , never have any issues at all . 
It would be interesting to see if it can fix it. Little conscious I'd be paranoid trying to purify anything afterwards.

I've done the sums on it and two replacement housings (blue not clear) and a replacement membrane comes in at £460 and a whole new system is only £660. Not out for wasting £200 on nothing, also concerned the problem could happen with a new system also, but if it could take a day to fix it seems like money well spent ?‍♂️

To be honest don’t really know. I do know some cleaned their tank with Milton which is used to sterilise baby’s bottles and it worked for them. You would have to make sure you rinse it out. 

Do you leave your system stagnant for some time. If is May be worth adding a UVR system to prevent the Algae.

Sunlight I would say is a prime consideration.

Back in the beginning of wfp I had one of Peter Fogwill's wfp trailers with 3 x 150 litre tanks on the back. The tanks were exposed to the sun. In summer I had to clean each of those tanks once every 2 weeks because they were green with algae. In winter it wasn't so much of a problem.

To be honest don’t really know. I do know some cleaned their tank with Milton which is used to sterilise baby’s bottles and it worked for them. You would have to make sure you rinse it out. 

Do you leave your system stagnant for some time. If is May be worth adding a UVR system to prevent the Algae.
I have been leaving it stagnant for a few days at a time. Forgot to turn the light off regularly too which won't have helped the situation. Silly of me really, even over the Christmas break I remembered to set it to flush daily for 20 mins.

Sunlight I would say is a prime consideration.

Back in the beginning of wfp I had one of Peter Fogwill's wfp trailers with 3 x 150 litre tanks on the back. The tanks were exposed to the sun. In summer I had to clean each of those tanks once every 2 weeks because they were green with algae. In winter it wasn't so much of a problem.
I think I'm going to block up the garage windows, change the tubing to non see through and move over to solid filter housings.

Thanks for your help chaps.

I have been leaving it stagnant for a few days at a time. Forgot to turn the light off regularly too which won't have helped the situation. Silly of me really, even over the Christmas break I remembered to set it to flush daily for 20 mins.

I think I'm going to block up the garage windows, change the tubing to non see through and move over to solid filter housings.

Thanks for your help chaps.
Can’t you just cover them up with a blanket?

Can’t you just cover them up with a blanket?
I was gonna just block up the windows with some cardboard. No one will see it anyway. It's the fake plastic windows they put on garage doors on all the new builds nowadays. At the old house we had a solid door, once had a small issue with the tubing turning green but that disappeared once I started turning the light off.

I was gonna just block up the windows with some cardboard. No one will see it anyway. It's the fake plastic windows they put on garage doors on all the new builds nowadays. At the old house we had a solid door, once had a small issue with the tubing turning green but that disappeared once I started turning the light off.
I meant cover your R.O system ?

Latest Posts

Back