Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to sell a round

WCF

Help Support WCF:

louislloyd

*For anyone with experience in buying / selling rounds*

I’ve got some rounds I’d like to sell but unsure on what the best practice is? How do you explain to customers that you’re looking to stop serving them and that you intend to sell their contact? Also how much info do you need to give the new business before any money changes hands?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I wouldn’t tell them you are selling them on to another cleaner , I have just said ime cutting back as I have to much work and don’t want to let you down so have found a reliable guy if you are happy with that he will be taking over your job from xx date this is his details or ime happy to bring him round and introduce you etc .
I have had the new cleaner work the jobs with me so he gets to meet customers then and only then get payment in full up front BEFORE HE TAKES OVER THE WORK .

I’ve bought three rounds, two were a basic meet and greet on the doorstep i.e that was the first time the customer was aware of the changeover - with the tale of too much travel/work which was in fact true so they understood geographically it made sense, the other one the previous owner put an explanatory leaflet through also with an intro leaflet from me on his penultimate clean so we could gauge any drop off. In all cases the customers were pleased to have continuation of service and be introduced personally.
Second home owners/holiday lets/businesses had explanatory emails with I believe a nod to GDPR and passing on info.

As a buyer, I had an initial meeting and was able to view on paper number of units and sizes / frequency / prices and location although not down to full addresses - just street names or town/village etc.
We agreed a price - I paid 3.5 and 4 x monthly, at that point I paid enough deposit (£500 or a £1000) to not want to lose it and agreed a takeover date.

The handover I’ve done for all three was to go round with the owner and clean the houses together, meet the customers, I’ve kept the income from the cleans and paid the outgoing owner £150 a day. At the end of the day when the work is complete I paid the balance of 3.5 or 4 times that days work as agreed.

There’s a good deal of trust involved especially as a buyer handing over a deposit but you get a feel for things at the meeting - it’s worked seamlessly on the ones I agreed, 2 or 3 others I’ve decided against just on gut feeling and their unwillingness to introduce etc or provide enough information - like being cagey when you ask them if they’re up to date!

One round was a breeze admin wise - we were both Squeegee users so we agreed a transfer date for the data and £50 later all the round and customer info was dropped straight into my Squeegee account by the tech nerds.

tell them you are taking someone on to cover some of your work as its getting too busy. Do 1 or 2 cleans with the new buyer to show most customers you are working with him. they will get used to him and he will see any short cuts if any to speed the work up Acces and parking best to work round
Take his money 1st. Usually 3/5 cleans per sale
Ive sold around £2000 of work as i wouldnt be able to cope. Sold to decent lads so most customers stayed with the new chap.

Never tell them you are selling them on
Work will always sell if its established and decent areas

I’ve done the two different methods and both worked without a problem.
Work with the guy and introduce on the way round.
I’ve also bought and sold by drafting up a handover letter explaining my reasons for passing on my work. Also with a letter from the new guy introducing themselves and making clear that all prices, frequencies etc will stay the same. Just the face and bank details will be different.
Ultimately the customers just want their windows cleaned and cleaned regularly and properly. They couldn’t care less who does them.
Where is the work you are selling?

Latest Posts

Back