Is this brodex system worth asking price.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Reach For The Glass, Mar 25, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Reach For The Glass

Reach For The Glass Well-Known Member

Hi guys

Been offered a brodex di / ro system with pre carbon filters, 250 ltr tank, controller, pump all sealed and caged ready to go.

Guy reckons it takes his tds from 395 to 0 ppm on board. Does this sound right?

What would you say it's worth its 3 years old.

No hose or reels included.
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

I think you posted the same thing twice mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

3. Reach For The Glass

It has mate not sure why.

4. Reach For The Glass

Is it worth £600?

5. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

No idea mate. I'm not clued up on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Did you ask him why he is selling it?

He probably would say that he wants something bigger.

And that's what I would say to you. A 250 liter tank is too small to get through a day's work. We find that a single operator will have a good day using 400 liters. Each of the lads had a 500 liter tank fitted to their vans so they had extra on the occassion they needed it. Once you run out of water, thats the day over with.

Another thing to bear in mind is that a 4040 membrane will cost you £250+ to replace. If the membrane is working at 90% efficiency the pure from the r/o would be at 40ppm. The resin in the di vessel will bring that down to 0, but the resin won't last long. A membrane working at that efficiency will need to be replaced. So just because he says it will bring the tds down to 0 doesn't mean the r/o is working properly.

What you have to consider when buying second hand like this is; is it worth £925 as you will need to count on having to replace the 4040 membrane and replace the resin in the di vessel. If you don't then its a bonus.

So is a second hand Brodex 250 liter system worth £925.00. Not in my books.

7. Reach For The Glass

Cheers spruce.

He has just replaced the 40/40 membrane brand new.

It's a friend of mine. He has just taken it out of a 2010 berlingo he owned and bought a brand new lwb vivaro and put a 500 ltr brodex system in with flat tank. He also has to fit his carpet cleaning machine and pressure washer in the van.

So with a new 40/40 membrane is it worth 500 notes?

My concern was the 250 tank. What's that maybe 15 jobs max? Maintanance cleans.

8. Cghwindowcleaning

Cghwindowcleaning Well-Known Member

Brodex are renound for very poor customer service I believe they have just gone into administration again something to bere in mind should you need any parts.

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#9 spruce, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Brodex parts can sourced from other supplies and 'encouraged' to fit. They used to use Shurflo pumps but now use another make with their logo all over it. The controllers can also be made to fit as Spring used to supply them. Williamson pumps supplied Brodex with Varistreams before Spring.
    Other than that the tanks are pretty robust.

Sorry I didn't mean to infer that your friend was trying to hide something; so yes with membranes working correctly and the resin polishing off the remaining tds, 0 is expected.

Again, my concern is the size of the tank. A local windie had a 300 liter tank in the van and it wasn't big enough for a full day's work on his own. If the r/o, prefilters can be made into a stand alone system processing water into an IBC tank in your garage/shed, then you maybe able to top up during the day. However if its 3pm you may decide to not go back out again.

This is one way that a small tank can stifle business growth.

Whilst on the subject of Brodex's system you need either a combo fiberdyne/sediment filter or a second prefilter (first sediment and second carbon block.) Brodex only supply 1 prefilter which is a sediment filter. They believe that the chlorine in the water isn't enough to damage membranes. Every other supplier disagrees. So fitting a carbon block or fiberdyne prefilter to remove chlorine will extend the life of your membrane.

Another thing to watch is the Brodex Di vessel. They omit to fit an O ring on the riser tube that fits into the head. This omission means that not all the resin in the di vessel is utilised to polish off the water prompting early replacement. This means more resin sales.

Is the system worth £500 with a new membrane. Yes, I would say so, but the question is; is it worth buying for yourself due to the size of the tank?
    Something can be a bargain, but if you can't use it then it isn't a bargain for you.

Maybe you could rob the tank of all it's fittings and buy another tank and frame and utilise all the parts.

10. window wizard

window wizard Newcomer

well worth £500, I started off with one of these systems, don't be put off by the 250 litre tank. I paired mine up with another white new 250 litre tank with a inch hose joining them at the bottom, both tanks have to be very similar in height ect but you will then have a 500 litre system.

Advertisement