Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ivy on panes and frames

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dale Transparent

Hi all, looking for some advice, did a 1st clean today for a customer who has moved to a new property. Front windows had previously been covered in ivy, which she had ripped off. There aren't any roots left, but there is what seems to be sap all over the frames and panes. I tried removing with tfr, first at a 10% ratio, then neat, but this hasn't helped, also tried pink stuff (I know, it's not supposed to be used on glass) used a non-scratch Gardiner white pad for both and also used a magic sponge but nothing shifted it. Was thinking of using solvent cleaner??!! Any of you fine gentleman have any recommendations? TIA, Dale

For the glass soapy & a blade scraper might work. As for the frames, good luck, i usually tell the customer it stays or they can find somebody else. I’ve never had anybody bothered about ivy remains.
If you tried charging a high hourly rate to remove it chances are you may not get the work & its frustrating doing things like that, makes you wanna pull your hair out. Also if you end up scratching the frames or discoloring them using endless products then.....?‍♂️

For the glass soapy & a blade scraper might work. As for the frames, good luck, i usually tell the customer it stays or they can find somebody else. I’ve never had anybody bothered about ivy remains.
If you tried charging a high hourly rate to remove it chances are you may not get the work & its frustrating doing things like that, makes you wanna pull your hair out. Also if you end up scratching the frames or discoloring them using endless products then.....?‍♂️
Thanks @Incheck, the customer has been understanding and isn't expecting it to be taken off, but, she's a good customer and I wanted to make the effort for her and if it's something I come across in the future, then I may be able to solve the issue.

Back