Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pump calibration

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon

i use a 47 ft pole but only twice every 2 months at that length, i use it as a 35 ft 5 x a month the rest o the time i use it as a 25ft

do i need to calibrate with the pole as a 47 or as a 25 which it usually is

Calibrate with the 25ft pole as this is used the most. Obviously make sure the water is running through your brush when you calibrate, not just running out your reel hose.

Using the longer pole as little as you do, there is no need to re adjust the calibration I.m.o :thumbsup:

Calibration (as it's wrongly named IMO) is the pressure cut off value/setting. The higher the pole, the more pressure is required to pump water up through the hose and thus the lower the pole the less pressure is required. The same goes for the length of hose on your reel and it's internal diameter. It's a balance between to much and not enough pressure. Too much and your system will over pressurise when flow is cut off resulting in a "burst" of water on re-connection and the potential to pop off connectors, cause system leaks etc. Not enough pressure will result in insufficient flow at the brush, the flow could be intermittent or indeed not at all as the pump will cut out when the pre-set pressure value is achieved then cut back in as the pressure relieves. A good controller should auto-compensate with real time micro adjustment of the pre-set value within the scope of 25ft and 50ft height parameters.

Last edited by a moderator:
i origionally set it with the pole at full 47, but now the pump often starts up when the tap is off, little bursts n that so i wondered if i'd set it at wrong height, did it at 25ft before so i'll see tomorrow

It's normal for the pump to "kick in" in this way as the controller monitors the pressure, even a small drop will result in the pump turning over a few times to re-achieve the pre-set value. A hose swelling like in summer or if using hot water can absorb pressure and result in a brief "kick in" from the pump. Also, I might add, any leaks in the system could have the same affect.

no leaks, i thought it might be air bubbles dunno why lol ??? then decided it was calibration

maybe its just something i'll have to put up with

no leaks, i thought it might be air bubbles dunno why lol ??? then decided it was calibrationmaybe its just something i'll have to put up with
Air in the system would also cause the pump to cycle. Air will compress where water doesn't, air in the system causing issues is very common.

I added extra pole hose so should I have re calibrated it then
Have you had any side effects to adding this hose? If not then no need to do anything, if you have noticed a reduction in flow then you may need to increase the pressure cut off value. Adding a bit of extra pole hose wouldn't normally cause any issues though to be honest.

Back