Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

leisure battery terminal connectors

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What happened to the video. Just about to watch it and it's now unavailable? 
I deleted it because of some Internet expert trolling me saying we should put batteries in battery boxes because they'll explode as they get no ventilation. I'll upload it again later and disable the comments. 

Ps many thanks for subscribing 

explode as they get no ventilation
That's a new one on me. I thought they only explode if shorted!!! They can produce explosive gas if charged too fast or a cell goes down but it's rare. How many lead acids are 'sealed' these days - most. In years gone by the vent tube was necessary and needed to be vented outside but since sealed batts came a long that is a lot less necessary. Silly Trolls....

I do like battery boxes as I am prone to dropping things and wouldn't want to short things out. Doesn't have to be anything special a wooden box is fine.

Look forward to watching vid.

My battery isn't in a box but does have a cover made and shaped from fascia board. There was an 'expert' informing us that we should have a battery box. The reason he gave was that if a battery should develop a leak then the battery acid is contained. It made sense to me.

However, if a battery develops a short and heats up and bulges to the point that the casing splits, I doubt a battery box is of much use. The only other way a battery could be damaged is if the vehicle is involved in an accident. If the vehicle overturns then again I don't see a battery box being much use.

I then look at the systems sold by some of the suppliers. PureFreedom don't have their batteries in a box although the battery holder has a cover to prevent objects falling across the battery terminals.

I follow a couple of sailing channels. One yacht owner smelt a bad smell inside his boat. It turned out to be a very hot starter battery. He was very frightened removing this very hot battery from the boat and placing it on the jetty. He said he was worried it would explode. They left it on the jetty to flatten and cool. The battery looked as though there was nothing wrong with it after it had 'destroyed' itself. It didn't explode and didn't leak acid.

That's a new one on me. I thought they only explode if shorted!!! They can produce explosive gas if charged too fast or a cell goes down but it's rare. How many lead acids are 'sealed' these days - most. In years gone by the vent tube was necessary and needed to be vented outside but since sealed batts came a long that is a lot less necessary. Silly Trolls....

I do like battery boxes as I am prone to dropping things and wouldn't want to short things out. Doesn't have to be anything special a wooden box is fine.

Look forward to watching vid.
They produce hydrogen has as a byproduct of charging but not the amounts needed for an explosion unless you are smoking with your face next to the battery lol.

Dad was an auto electrician so did my learning from him.

Just put a cover over the top and it's fine.

Just as long as nothing can fall and sit across the terminals.

They produce hydrogen has as a byproduct of charging but not the amounts needed for an explosion unless you are smoking with your face next to the battery lol.

Dad was an auto electrician so did my learning from him.

Just put a cover over the top and it's fine.

Just as long as nothing can fall and sit across the terminals.
When I worked in the motor trade years ago we had a large commercial vehicle workshop that was always charging batteries, I remember having several batteries explode over the years and you could quite often smell the acidic smell when they were charging , battery technology is probably different now . 

Latest Posts

Back