Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi All...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Firstly because I'm not like that, plus most was bad payers and my round was miles away from where I live.

Also there was a Gentlemans agreement that I wouldn't approach customers all the time I was still employed.

It's weird because I've found it the complete opposite. I've found it pretty easy and not at all frustrating. I was in secure (**** paying) employment when I started out and spent six months part time on the windows. I've been on my own for just over a year now and often think how stress free and easy my life is since making the switch. Out of interest, which parts have you found hard and frustrating?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Its ok now, i mean when starting out...

Well firstly when full time employed you can only clean so many windows so i went the part time job route first, that was a job in itself to find part time work, then it was hard stuck in the job when it was nice outside and sods law said it would be chucking it down when trying to clean windows, i had no savings so went from working in the car with a trolley to eventually getting a decent van and all the setup. i was/am competing with cleaners charging a fiver so canvassing or leafletting and facebook has been and still is a very slow process, ive had a lot of messers and bad payers. Ive paid 2 canvassers and both time have been a complete waste of time and money. Ive struggled with anxiety over canvassing (which im now over) and had no money in savings so was touch and go whether the bills would be paid at any given time especially when waiting for payments. Its getting easier now but im still some way off being totally stress free, i suppose it all boils down to financial security and when you havent got enough work or savings youre not going to be stress free whistling away

I worried about paying my bills almost every day when I started by myself but I soon learned there are 2 ways to treat this situation, either think about it all the time and give yourself loads of stress and headaches or just chill out take things 1 step at a time and enjoy it. The second option worked best for me but it has taken a while and I still sometimes worry about money, I took out a big loan to get my van, equipment and first customers. I now see my bills as motavation

Lets talk about canvassing for Adam, mmmm where to start, ok prior to me coming up I had a long chat with the previous canvasser and knew my back was against the wall from the get go, I only went the 200+ miles because hes a forum member I arrived and could tell Adams been thru the mill with it, his head was down and everything just seemed like everything was against him, absolutely no belief. The previous chap to canvass for him went back twice and gave him the first ever refund to anyone that he gave out (respected canvasser too). So I knew it was going to be hard work, so I met up sorted out the money and off I went. I kid you not his area is horrendous, flippen rains from 8am until 8pm like non stop everyday. 5-10 different guys on a street, at £5 a whole house, I would never book a house for that. So anyway Im out knocking and not really getting anything other than scraps whilst out, and the few good 1s I got where just mumbled and bumbled there way thru by Adam, Example butch lady, knocked the door she goes good timing I just sacked the last guy for being rubbish he was £5 whole house (sigh from me) we are £10 ( im walking off ) and shes like thats fine if its a good job I want it. 1 clean sacked, I never have problems with customers paying and yet Adam did mmmm. This went on for a week or so, at the end of the week BEFORE I left I gave him £700 refund ( try getting that off my competitors ), I did that rather than going back because it really wasnt a viable option with Adam, staring down that same barrel of the previous canvasser, no thanks. I then requested the results back knowing that when I get on the phone Id find him at least £150, never got results back from him , despite numerous calls just had a text back saying no point, people only ever do that for 2 reasons theyve had too much money back or there worried about being exposed as innept. I even let him come out with me and gave him the training info for canvassing free of charge. Has anyone heard about that. No of course not, whys that ? heres why because he lacks the excellence of execution brought on by being beaten up by a horrible area and rather than admit that chooses to blame everyone. Now I happen to know that Damo666 has used the other guy Adams talking about numerous times and has recommended him in the past with no such issues. Im not having a pop at Adam but hes been moaning since November Ive bit my tongue enough. In closing Adam does give good advice on here and tried many things but hes been pretty savaged by a horrible horrible area and it does show with his approach with the customers. Heres another forum member Ive been working with alot lately

[email protected] drop him an email ask him if hes had the issues Adam had.

I've never once had a go at you mark. I said it was a **** area and that you did your best. I only said it didn't work out which is true.

You left me with a list of about 200 quid of work that wernt ironed on. I rang or text all of them myself and got next to nothing back that's why I said there was no point you going thru it as I already had. It had nothing to do with having had too much money back, whilst from your side giving a 700 refund was a horrible result for you at the same time I still paid you 500 quid for about 50 quid in ongoing work, hardly a financial gain for me either. As for being inept thats just untrue, there's no need to get personal I mean I can pick holes in every little detail of our experience if you want...

I don't know how you can blame me for them not paying. Remember the one you had canvassed when u were with me was supposed to leave money under bin and it wasn't there. The guy pretended not to be in then after I'd cleaned walked past us and played dumb saying he'd pay online. Guess what he paid and cancelled later that day. The old woman you canvassed round the corner who had no idea what day it was, there was others who I turned up to clean and they just turned me away or i stugged to get paid. I had the same with previous canvassers and I've had the same when I've canvassed my own. So no I'm not having a pop at you and never have Ive just drawn the conclusion that people on general are flaky and canvassing by its very nature is a lottery. I agree my area is **** and saturated with windys. When I went out with you we picked up that one old lady and agreed a price. She already had a windy and when I went next day she said how much is it again I told her think it was 12 quid she said we'll my windy charges 10 can't you do it any less. I said no we'd already agreed the price the day before. That entire estate was gleaming and like you say you were just picking up scraps that's why imo people were so flaky

I'm sure you've many satisfied customers and I didn't realise you had a problem with me so I don't know why the outburst. I could go into more detail but it's done and gone so I don't see the point.

Oh and the butch woman I still clean hers now. She's one of about 5 that that actually stayed on and pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning!Personal attacks, threats, flaming, harassment of others, arguments, trolling, bullying or other forms of disruptive behavior will not be tolerated and may result in post removal, user warnings, temp/permanent bans.

Anyone who engages in such threads whether they are the instigator or just jumping in will be treated the same.
Please continue this thread in a respectful manner in relation to the original post.

@Whizz\-Bizz

Adam has actually said in another post that the one thing he did get from your time together was the confidence to go and knock doors and that he owed to you.

@adamangler

To both of you, this sounds like some personal unresolved business, if that's the case please sort it between yourselves via the message function.

I suggest in the mean time that any further comments you wish to make about one another in the open forum be exceedingly neutral to happy.

Thank you.

Ok point taken green pro just I did go hard core up there it's flippen horrible hitting doors for 8 hours and getting 7 people 6 of which was dross, and just wish I'd got results back for full picture, everyone's knows Adams version that's my version

Big respesct for the op, you certainly got balls. Personally i wouldn't invest so much without any customers.

Give whizzbiz (Mark) a shout, he's a very good canvasser, im using him for the third time. Canvassing is hard, people will drop out, there will be lots of time wasters so make sure you filter them out

Latest Posts

Back