Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working at heights 2005

WCF

Help Support WCF:

S

SolarPanelCleaning

Just noticed this

(2) Every employer shall ensure that work is not carried out at height where it is reasonably practicable to carry out the work safely otherwise than at height.

Does this mean ladders should not be used when wfp is an option................?

Without reigniting old arguments, it could be argued that you can t do the same job from the ground that you can up close, and my understanding is that you are allowed to work off a ladder for a specific task, as long as its not for a prolonged period of time. That said, if I was an employer Iwouldnt dream of sending an employee up a ladder in this game, could easily go wrong and end up with you getting sued, and it will be a hard case to fight.

Yes in a nutshell but ladders are not banned and some jobs still reqires the use of ladders if need be even using a wfp.

H&S is all about managing risks and they recognise traditional window cleaning is here to stay but you should consider alternatives instead of taking chances using ladders.

Just noticed this
(2) Every employer shall ensure that work is not carried out at height where it is reasonably practicable to carry out the work safely otherwise than at height.

Does this mean ladders should not be used when wfp is an option................?

Just noticed this

But if you are not equipped with wfp,....then it is not an option, unless they are saying it is reasonably practicable to go out get it.

Like all these things, everything is well until the wheel comes off and then they jump on you.

Mmm but if I need a cherry picker to make my job safer, I hire one. Surely the same regarding ladder work? If it can be done with wfp then you obliged to take measures to do so?

Not trying to cause arguments, merely trying to establish interpretations. Until a precedent is set in court it's a grey area. I'll do more digging.

It translates to being reasonably practicable. In my opinion there's no reason not to have wfp in your arsenal so using ladders is an unnecessary risk.

I don't fancy doing cherry picker work myself. **** that /emoticons/biggrin.png

[media]

Mmm but if I need a cherry picker to make my job safer, I hire one. Surely the same regarding ladder work? If it can be done with wfp then you obliged to take measures to do so?Not trying to cause arguments, merely trying to establish interpretations. Until a precedent is set in court it's a grey area. I'll do more digging.
I think the precedent has already been set mate. I'm pretty sure I remember a case a few years back wherethe worker fell off, and the figure I remember is about £30 000compo. Buying a WFP setup is considered a reasonable adjustment for the safety it provides. 2-3grand is small change when employing people. So you would be expected to provide it for your workers. The grey area may come when you send your worker up a ladder to get to the window that WFP won't reach and falls. You may be able to defend yourself assuming you havent made them do roof walking or anything stupid then the things lawyers would pick you up on would be ladder inspections, ladder training (you'ed need written proof of this), and PPE.

I'll add that this is just my take on things as they stand. I'm 'IOSH working safely'

qualified so I have a little academic experience but I'm no expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to hse in our game ladders are fine if used for less than 30 minutes in 1 spot

That means that it isn't necessary to get scaffolding or cherry picker or wfp as it is such a short duration

Been around the 120ft mark in a cherry picker/self propelled boom ,used these most weekends and the large machines are a little bouncy but very stable, most folk dont realise you need a license to use these even though they don't check when you hire them if you had a accident your insurence certainly would be invalid

I've been a lot higher in my climbing/ abseiling days

Would love to do abseil work on a tower block

Until you have a fall then they will ask why did you not use wfp or trad pole method instead... you plonker rodney:D

According to hse in our game ladders are fine if used for less than 30 minutes in 1 spotThat means that it isn't necessary to get scaffolding or cherry picker or wfp as it is such a short duration

I have been toying with the idea of starting climbing again

The wife isn't too impressed with my idea

£175 in sponsors is all i need and i already have most of that agreed to so no paying for me

Only bonkers ppl jump out of a perfectly servicable aircraft if you ask me /emoticons/biggrin.png

Now that has to sting

[media]

[/media]

Jumping is fine

Hitting the floor at terminal velocity when the shute don't open has gotta hurt

I don't think he would have walked away from that one somehow the poor chap /emoticons/sad.png

Latest Posts

Back