Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working out of a pick up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I had an open trailer with 3 x 150 litre tanks fitted side by side. It was a nightmare in the winter when everything froze. I can imagine the same happening with a pickup without a canopy.
I had a pump box which I brought inside along with the hose reel, but the water in the hoses was the problem.
Unless he can park it in a garage the lot will freeze, I used to park mine in the garage at our last house but it was a big garage

Apologies if I’m not getting this but do you mean on the custom?
The idea would never have entered my head
You can get kits online, but probably better off going to a local sign writing place and getting them to do it as it's some big pieces of vynil to go on each side and you'd want a proper job doing,

ultimately it's a flip of a coin with the estate having a covenant on commercial vehicles and if you have a nosey busy body on the estate and if anyone is really that bothered a disguised van is no different from a truck which is classed as a LGV, our last place had a covenant on it because of a shared courtyard for parking "No businesses" I used to have to fill my van tank in the courtyard almost obstructing a neighbours parking space but we all got on and he wasn't bothered and neither was anyone else ,but I knew a time might come when someone new moved in that it might be an issue we moved house

You can get kits online, but probably better off going to a local sign writing place and getting them to do it as it's some big pieces of vynil to go on each side and you'd want a proper job doing,

ultimately it's a flip of a coin with the estate having a covenant on commercial vehicles and if you have a nosey busy body on the estate and if anyone is really that bothered a disguised van is no different from a truck which is classed as a LGV, our last place had a covenant on it because of a shared courtyard for parking "No businesses" I used to have to fill my van tank in the courtyard almost obstructing a neighbours parking space but we all got on and he wasn't bothered and neither was anyone else ,but I knew a time might come when someone new moved in that it might be an issue we moved house
Thanks for your input. Appreciated.
Some good ideas to think about.
There are only 4 houses in the row and my gut feeling is it would be fine but as you said you never know who’s going to move in next.
I think I will probably just stay as I am until something is said and then look at the options discussed.
Don’t really want to get rid of the van to be honest as it had a new engine and gearbox curtesy of Ford after a recall and had the clutch done at the same time and that was only 12000 miles ago.
It’s a difficult one all round as I can’t really pull out of the sale as my house is sold and there’s nothing remotely like what we want anywhere near by (have school to consider).
And the family are dead set on the house.
Winds me up to be honest. My business is paying for the house just like everybody else’s work pays for their house yet my van is deemed ‘unacceptable’!
Strange world we live in sometimes!

Thanks for your input. Appreciated.
Some good ideas to think about.
There are only 4 houses in the row and my gut feeling is it would be fine but as you said you never know who’s going to move in next.
I think I will probably just stay as I am until something is said and then look at the options discussed.
Don’t really want to get rid of the van to be honest as it had a new engine and gearbox curtesy of Ford after a recall and had the clutch done at the same time and that was only 12000 miles ago.
It’s a difficult one all round as I can’t really pull out of the sale as my house is sold and there’s nothing remotely like what we want anywhere near by (have school to consider).
And the family are dead set on the house.
Winds me up to be honest. My business is paying for the house just like everybody else’s work pays for their house yet my van is deemed ‘unacceptable’!
Strange world we live in sometimes!
A truck is a serious amount of money to set up which is why I'd never have another one, no doubt there will be people popping up vw camper vans and like as well which are classified as camper vans not commercial vehicles I believe,

I guess these days people don't want nice private streets littered with vans and taking up available on street parking or visitor parking bays or the little laybys which is what I have seen over the years some people from 1-2 streets away parking there works van in another street because they have their personal motors on their drive, but no different to someone buying a house with inadequate parking and having 2-3 cars,

If you can fill your van tank as discreetly as possible within the early weeks and months then most people will turn a blind eye, we are supposed to have 5ft military-style fences in our row of four semi's yet no one does

One solution, ok not a perfect solution I agree, is to rent a garage that your van fits in. That way you are not keeping your van on your drive but nothing to stop you driving it home to fill up? That could be cheaper than changing vehicles and tanks etc. Plus the rent for the garage is tax deductable so at least part of the cost is covered.

Yes I have briefly looked into that. Will certainly have another look at that idea.
Also thought about just parking it on another road nearby but not really happy about leaving my van away from the house and obviously insurance issues.
Thanks for your input

Thanks.
I can put the van right on the drive next to the garage (definitely won’t fit in the garage) so it’s going to be sort of out of the way.
Time will tell I suppose
Could you strip the sign writing off? And keep the van look pristine. Wash it every week, make it look more like your baby than a workvan. I think as long as it’s not battered and full of rust your more likely to get away with it.

Could you strip the sign writing off? And keep the van look pristine. Wash it every week, make it look more like your baby than a workvan. I think as long as it’s not battered and full of rust your more likely to get away with it.
Certainly an option. Roof racks coming off and ladders. About time I ditched the ladders anyway!
I think you’re right in that the better it looks the less likely it will put someone’s nose out!

These covenants are a load of ****, pal of mine recently bought a house, not allowed a washing line!
I can believe it! House I’m currently in there was once a bit of land that came with it with some mill and cottages (not there now). Covenant stated that if the Bishop was passing he could stay and nothing you could do about it ?

Latest Posts

Back