Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Might need to move from southwest of the UK to north Wales has anyone ever travelled back to do there round while building a new one ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Matt steel 118

My misses father is ill so she wants to live closer to him incase he needs are help , so we are looking at moving to north Wales but my round here in south west is really good so debating if travelling back every 6 weeks to get my round done is possible while building a new one there . To get it done in a week I would need a mate to smash out the work

Has anyone done anything similar I'm not sure if I can charge the prices I currently charge there .

My misses father is ill so she wants to live closer to him incase he needs are help , so we are looking at moving to north Wales but my round here in south west is really good so debating if travelling back every 6 weeks to get my round done is possible while building a new one there . To get it done in a week I would need a mate to smash out the work

Has anyone done anything similar I'm not sure if I can charge the prices I currently charge there .
Don't bother moving to North Devon, It's a 5hithole
All the roads are worse than Russian grad Ukrainian bomb damaged roads
Water rates and corruption with SWW are a joke
Loads of new build houses but no new schools, doctors, dentists or mental health support since 1982
34 miles from the M5 motorway but you need a plane or helicopter to get anywhere.

I used to drive 2000 miles a week to clean tesco express windows across Devon and travelling for work is an inefficient waste of time money and vehicle wear and tear

@Matt steel 118 it's a real "how long is a piece of string" thing unfortunately. Firstly, I don't blame your wife and yourself at all for wanting to live closer to her Dad if he is poorly. If you decide to move and the work is fairly lucrative you could always try and sell some or part of it. If there are a few days/weeks that are especially good work, and you have family close to where you live at present, is there anyone you could stay with for a few nights at a time and keep that work on? Then when you are in Wales try and build up a round? I do know someone that moved quite a way and kept their current job (not window cleaning), and it didn't last long before they looked for another job.

nephew of mine recently got turned down joining the Welsh police in Bangor. He got thru all the stages but failed at very last one, thing is they will not tell him why,just "personal reasons" this really messed him up as theres very few jobs round there so he says

nephew of mine recently got turned down joining the Welsh police in Bangor. He got thru all the stages but failed at very last one, thing is they will not tell him why,just "personal reasons" this really messed him up as theres very few jobs round there so he says
That's pathetic that they won't tell a candidate the reason why they've not made the cut. Constructive criticism and personal performance data is what drives people to do better and learn by their mistakes

He could use the data protection act to legally see all information they have on him - interview notes etc... Might not make him any happier if he knows but it would at least give him a reason.

really decent lad but maybe its for the best? few yrs ago i met a detective from the met,cleaned his windows his wife had jus died [she was a cop too] and he took me to one side one day told me hed quit ,the stuff hed seen i could see in his eyes it had been awful building up , and was moving back up north where he grew up .i said what are you going to do now ? he said i think im going to paint for a few months....

This is a very difficult one. There is her desire which is based on emotion and your side which is tempered by logic; both characteristics and natural attributes of the human species. As men, we generally want to do everything we can to please our wives, because none of us want to live with an unhappy spouse.

You say she wants to move closer to him in case he needs our help. What happens if you move and he doesn't want or need your help?

If this is a long term terminal illness, then what happens after he passes away? Terminal cancer sufferers tend to last anywhere between 6 months and 6 years if they get the terminal verdict. My wife's brother died of cancer.

Dementia is another illness or condition. Gradually over time their memory regresses and may not recognize their own family. This happened to both my parents, and they each lived for around 6 years after diagnosis. My mother had to go into a home as we couldn't care for her needs at home. She always recognized my wife, but she didn't remember who I was. My wife found it very emotionally draining when we visited her, which we did every couple of days and on week ends. TBH, we were relieved when she died. I'm sorry she is no longer with us, but she is in a better place now. My father died out in Africa a year after we moved from there to the UK on my wife's insistence that she wanted to be near her father as well as other security reasons. This caused a lot of tension in our home for many years due to its timing, but now we are older, it was the right move.

Can't she visit him and stay a few days a week at his place and still maintain your home in the south-west? Long term decisions based on emotion tend to not be sound long term decisions, IMO.

Last edited:
There is plenty of work in the Bangor / Anglesey area or north wales in general .
You don’t apply to join the Bangor police it’s the north wales force .

We’re in north wales are you coming to?
Plenty of work on the coast and Anglesey every window cleaner I know is very busy book.s are full not taking anymore windows on .

Are you full time now? Ie 5 days a week for the 6 weeks and then start the run again?
How far would you have to travel back to your work?
I did

How many miles would you have to travel. Are you full time now? Ie 5 days a week for the 6 weeks and then start the run again?
I did the same thing you are contemplating.
After working out the diesel costs, wear and tear on the van and time travelling I found myself a cheap Airbnb (was more cost effective and less tiring) and stayed where the work was for 3-4 days a week at the start and used the other time to start to build up a round in my new area. Then gradually sell off the old work as you build up work in your new area.
And also look if anything comes up for sale in your new area.
It takes time and its not great staying away from home but it does work. Just got to concentrate on the bigger picture and you get through it.
I used a spotless water near the Airbnb but if you could find one with a water supply there even better.
Ps with regards to prices / I’m in mid-Wales and into Shropshire and I’m doing the same money as I was in the South East.
If you’re hard working, good at what you do and motivated you’ll find there’s work wherever you go.
Good luck with whatever you decide

What's wrong with him?this would be my first question...if it's likely he s going to die in the next 12-18 months then no way would I move if I was settled

If it's a mobility thing and he could live another 20 years then of course I'd move with the missus

You of course could build a round again but it'll be a ball ache at times but on the other hand you might find it exciting starting again

Yes you could keep the round going until you find a buyer but they'll be added expenses,not just fuel but accommodation and water(assuming you will stay down there for 4 or 5 days at a time)

I've done it, but I only had to travel an hour each way after the move. Even then I pretty soon found myself building up a new round at the new area and gradually dropping off the old stuff as time went by.

Back