Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New starter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

lcdcm123

Hi, looking to start a new venture and get into window cleaning and just looking for any advice please. I’m completely new to it so just wondering where to start. Are courses recommend or just practise on your own friends and family etc then start advertising and get insured. I’m in a flexible job right now so there isn’t much of a rush in regards to the transition.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi, looking to start a new venture and get into window cleaning and just looking for any advice please. I’m completely new to it so just wondering where to start. Are courses recommend or just practise on your own friends and family etc then start advertising and get insured. I’m in a flexible job right now so there isn’t much of a rush in regards to the transition.

Thanks for any help in advance.
I assume you have worked out that the area you intend to work in is not saturated with window cleaners? Try Googling 'window cleaner near me' and see how many ou get!!!

Before you invest in equipment ask for advice here as their is some right rubbish kicking about.

Read everything on this forum ( I do mean every post), take lots of notes as different people do things differently. Watch lots of UK window cleaners on youtube and study in slow motion how they do things. Then practice on your own windows many many times perfecting our technique.

If you have never been self employed then you have to remember every decision is yours and yours alone! You have to do everything from accounts, equipment procuring, producing pure water, marketing, leaflet designs, electrics (so you can repair your control system in a van), plumbing (again to enable you to do repairs), people management, debt management, customer facing not to even mention actually cleaning the windows.

I'm not trying to put you off just give you a little insight into what's involved. All the info you need is on this forum but you need to do a lot of reading and sifting - OH and don't expect to earn what some post on here or do as many houses as some can manage. It will take a few years to get quick and maintain a good quality clean.

I assume you have worked out that the area you intend to work in is not saturated with window cleaners? Try Googling 'window cleaner near me' and see how many ou get!!!

Before you invest in equipment ask for advice here as their is some right rubbish kicking about.

Read everything on this forum ( I do mean every post), take lots of notes as different people do things differently. Watch lots of UK window cleaners on youtube and study in slow motion how they do things. Then practice on your own windows many many times perfecting our technique.

If you have never been self employed then you have to remember every decision is yours and yours alone! You have to do everything from accounts, equipment procuring, producing pure water, marketing, leaflet designs, electrics (so you can repair your control system in a van), plumbing (again to enable you to do repairs), people management, debt management, customer facing not to even mention actually cleaning the windows.

I'm not trying to put you off just give you a little insight into what's involved. All the info you need is on this forum but you need to do a lot of reading and sifting - OH and don't expect to earn what some post on here or do as many houses as some can manage. It will take a few years to get quick and maintain a good quality clean.
Thanks for your advice I’m currently self employed so no what comes with it I will give a good search of the forum thanks again

If things go well, expect probably 2 years hard slog , before you earn a decent living.

Remember getting the equipment is easy , getting enough work is very tough.
I would also say that one picks up a lot of dross at the start and customers that other windies have dropped. First year you will be paying out all the time on equipment unless you know someone in the game. You can also look around to see if someone is selling any rounds which got me interested at first. My old windy wanted to sell me his round but my relatives talked me out of it so he sold out to a bigger company. That company dumped all the domestic and only wanted his care homes and commercial work. Later on when I did start up I picked up a bit of his domestic customers where I lived so I think it was a blessing in disguise that I never bought his round and saved myself many thousands into the bargain.

Back