New to it and after advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Mooners, Jan 6, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Mooners

Mooners Member

Hi All,

I’ve just joined up as I’m gathering as much info as I can with a view to setting up a window cleaning business myself, a complete change of career. First up I must say the site is great although it’s information overload at the moment….which is great of course.

Some advice is needed as to what would be the best start up kit.

The aim is to go down the WFP route and have a van mounted system.

Just starting out, would it be recommended to buy a 2 man system with the view of future growth or just stick to a one man system for now? Also what tank sizes for both would you recommend?

Another dilemma is do I go for buying a pre existing set up as seen on ebay? The only doubts I have with this is the mileage on most of these vans is sky high. Maybe not a good idea buying one of these vans if it’s going to be a money pit and not going to start of a morning.

Is buying a used van (with sensible mileage and service history) and getting a new system fitted the better option? This gives me the peace of mind of some manufacturer support with the RO system that I have inside the van. Perhaps the sensible option though a little more costly.

Is it worth while going for a mid sized van maybe LWB or maybe a little bigger (box van) with the intention of being able to store other equipment that may be needed as part of the business and future growth?? Or just keep it fairly small and compact??

On the above note any recommendations on who to purchase a new system from? I’ve done a bit of research but would be good to get recommendations.

I’m under no illusions this is going to be a walk in the park and am full of admiration for the people that do make a business out of this profession. I’m sure there are many that try and fail.

Any info/advice gratefully received.

Advertisement
  2. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Welcome Windy Miller :thumbsup:. Do you have a start up budget?

3. Mooners

Mooners Member

Hi Tuffers, I'm planning on around 10k to get up and running including marketing etc.

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

10k :). Well, you could buy a decent van, I'd definitely go for a Dispatch, Expert new shape. Put a 500L DIY single system in. Get a website and maybe buy some work to get you going. If you have time on your hands, go canvass.

5. Natty1972

Natty1972 Forum Addict

Evening mooners Welcome to the party ... I know of a bloke that spent £30 k on a new van set up , £10 k should get you a good van set up ,, are you planning on getting a company set up or a DIY set up

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Hi & welcome Mooners :thumbsup:
    My advice first off is before spending out any money is to try it out first to see if you like the job or not as wfp work is not as easy as ppl think it is. I'm sure if you contact a supplier like purefreedom they could line you up with a wfp window cleaner you could go out with for a day before you commit yourself to buying anything.

10k is a lot of money to throw at setting up a small business so you want to make sure it's for you surely? There are plenty of other options out there that you could spend 10k on setting up so not just look at window cleaning.

7. Mooners

Mooners Member

Hi Smurf, thanks for the advice. I'll do that and let you know how i get on

8. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Hi mooners. I just got a small van to start out. You might want to think about the areas you're likely to work in... Cramped villages and cities with narrow roads and bad parking, or sprawling suburbs with loads of access, or countryside maybe. Then you might want a compact city van, a transporter or transit, or landrover defender type respectively.

9. Mooners

Mooners Member

Big thanks for the helpful advice Jimroot

10. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

I've also decided on a career change to windows/gutter etc about two months ago. I'm on a much smaller budget than you. This forum has been invaluable. Helps to do a formal business plan too, even if it's just for you but as if you have to Justin it to the bank, that way it helps you see what's realistic and what you have and haven't identified.

A diy water fed setup might be good even if you can afford off the shelf, as then you'll understand how it fits together and can fault find better if it goes wrong.

Advertisement