Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting up in a hard water area

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TroyD

Hi all,

Have just joined so not sure if in the right place. I am hoping to start up over the next few months with wfp and pressure washing. I have experience doing it but have not had experience in a hard water area with a reading of 340ppm. I have seen many different RO systems, would anyone have any recommendation on where to start with it? Should I just jump straight in and buy 1000L tank and RO system, if so which RO system and would this be too big of a jump if I have not got the wfp yet? Just wondering what you all think is the best starting point.

Many thanks,

Troy

Hello Troy

Welcome to the forum
The first steps that I'd recommend is to get yourself a water pressure gauge that can be obtained from Screwfix, Toolstation etc
The are available in two fitting formats hoselock and 3/4 tap fitting.

The main information that goes towards finding the right system for your needs and business size

You've already add that your water is 340ppm which is a great start.

You'll need to know your mains water pressure to determine whether an RO would require an additional booster pump due to low pressure mains water.

There are many other members who know RO's better than myself so I'm sure they'll support your enquiry

Mains water pressure tester

I'm unsure on what tester you have for TDS but we always recommend that you have a genuine HM Digital tester as they are calibrated and many cheap ebay or amazon testers give extremely unreliable results

Have a look through the water fed pole thread and also use the search facility as you'll most likely find out more information

All the best
Austin

Hello Troy

Welcome to the forum
The first steps that I'd recommend is to get yourself a water pressure gauge that can be obtained from Screwfix, Toolstation etc
The are available in two fitting formats hoselock and 3/4 tap fitting.

The main information that goes towards finding the right system for your needs and business size

You've already add that your water is 340ppm which is a great start.

You'll need to know your mains water pressure to determine whether an RO would require an additional booster pump due to low pressure mains water.

There are many other members who know RO's better than myself so I'm sure they'll support your enquiry

Mains water pressure tester

I'm unsure on what tester you have for TDS but we always recommend that you have a genuine HM Digital tester as they are calibrated and many cheap ebay or amazon testers give extremely unreliable results

Have a look through the water fed pole thread and also use the search facility as you'll most likely find out more information

All the best
Austin
Also to add: Doug at Daqua is the man for help and also sells all the products you'd need. https://www.daqua.co.uk/roproducts.htm

Hi all,

Have just joined so not sure if in the right place. I am hoping to start up over the next few months with wfp and pressure washing. I have experience doing it but have not had experience in a hard water area with a reading of 340ppm. I have seen many different RO systems, would anyone have any recommendation on where to start with it? Should I just jump straight in and buy 1000L tank and RO system, if so which RO system and would this be too big of a jump if I have not got the wfp yet? Just wondering what you all think is the best starting point.

Many thanks,

Troy
Daqua every time. He is a little more expensive as he sources top quality product, which is what window cleaners need. For example, there are cheaper Chinese manufactured membranes available, but they aren't as efficient. Less efficient membranes mean spending more money on resin to polish the pure off.
Do the suppliers you see cater for the drinks and aquatics industries, for example? The water they use doesn't need to be as pure as possible. They also add another filter to make their purified water taste better. We don't need that.

It will be as the sales saying goes; "the bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the joy of a low price." This is certainly true with regard to window cleaning products in our industry imho.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Main idea will be to get 1000L IBC.

Get RO system from Daqua and see how I get on. Still in early days but I don’t want to jump in buying all the wrong things, will obviously make mistakes but trying to limit them !

Really pleased that you have all taken the time to respond. Many thanks to all.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Main idea will be to get 1000L IBC.

Get RO system from Daqua and see how I get on. Still in early days but I don’t want to jump in buying all the wrong things, will obviously make mistakes but trying to limit them !

Really pleased that you have all taken the time to respond. Many thanks to all.
An IBC would definitely set you up the right way. As for water transfer then you could add an IBC course 1" threaded outlet cap to a transfer pump with ease.

Double check your TDS and water pressure then give daqua a call and tell him what you would like and he'll see you right

One other useful tip: I know we are heading into summer but think about winterproofing & frost protection. Where you will have your system operating plus mains power and water supply along with drainage

Personally, if I were starting up, I’d just get my water from spotless to start with.

If after a few months you think you can make a go of it, and your starting to build a customer base, then I’d start thinking about producing it yourself 👍🏻
Then your not wasting money.

On the subject of Spotless Water, I see that they are still advertising a pickup point at the old Teesside Window Cleaners site in Middlesbrough. That can't be right, surely.

Personally, if I were starting up, I’d just get my water from spotless to start with.

If after a few months you think you can make a go of it, and your starting to build a customer base, then I’d start thinking about producing it yourself 👍🏻
Then your not wasting money.
Thought about this but it isn’t sustainable in the long run as the nearest spotless is about 30 mins away. But I think first few trips I will do that

Back