Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with new backpack set up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ben c

Hello all

This is my first post(after months of lurking) so please go easy on me and I'll apologise in advance for any stupid questions.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to window cleaning but I'm looking at getting myself a wfp set up to try and potentially build up a day or twos worth of work to hopefully allow me to drop my current employment to part time. I'm not getting ahead of myself though and that's a long term goal so will start with friends and family until I can build up abit of experience and get my head around the techniques.

From my research I've decided to start with a gardiner back pack and slx25 pole, pure water is no problem as I currently have a 6 stage ro filter producing zero tds which is needed for my hobby.

What I'm unsure of is, which hose and length to buy? Which connectors are best? Do I need anything else to get this set up running that I've overlooked?

What would be a massive help if you could list the hose and connectors I'd need to order from gardiners website so I can buy it all together and be ready to have a play on my own house.

For a noob like myself which brush and gooseneck would be best to order with the new pole?

Many thanks for taking time to read this and I look forward to your replies

Hello all

This is my first post(after months of lurking) so please go easy on me and I'll apologise in advance for any stupid questions.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to window cleaning but I'm looking at getting myself a wfp set up to try and potentially build up a day or twos worth of work to hopefully allow me to drop my current employment to part time. I'm not getting ahead of myself though and that's a long term goal so will start with friends and family until I can build up abit of experience and get my head around the techniques.

From my research I've decided to start with a gardiner back pack and slx25 pole, pure water is no problem as I currently have a 6 stage ro filter producing zero tds which is needed for my hobby.

What I'm unsure of is, which hose and length to buy? Which connectors are best? Do I need anything else to get this set up running that I've overlooked?

What would be a massive help if you could list the hose and connectors I'd need to order from gardiners website so I can buy it all together and be ready to have a play on my own house.

For a noob like myself which brush and gooseneck would be best to order with the new pole?

Welcome. I started at 18 years old and am 35 this year. It's a great job.

EZ snap (rectus 21) connector female on the back pack option. Then buy a male and female for the hose and a male for the end of your pole. Green PU Hose is by far the best and I personally find about 11 meters is right for the sack truck. The Handy folding sack truck is the best sack truck I've used.

Standard gooseneck (the free option) and and Sill 26cm brush.

Best of luck.

Welcome. I started at 18 years old and am 35 this year. It's a great job.

EZ snap (rectus 21) connector female on the back pack option. Then buy a male and female for the hose and a male for the end of your pole. Green PU Hose is by far the best and I personally find about 11 meters is right for the sack truck. The Handy folding sack truck is the best sack truck I've used.

Standard gooseneck (the free option) and and Sill 26cm brush.

Best of luck.
Thanks for that? is that the 11metres that comes with the pole or an extra 11metres?

Gardiners state the max extension hose for their backpacks are 20m plus pole hose. ez-snap (rectus 21) connectors are decent. Normally female on backpack and male on pole hose. Standard gooseneck or swivel gooseneck - swivels take a little practice but I find I can get the brush flat on the glass from any angle.
Pole wise slx25 is a decent pole but be careful of the collapsed length will fit in your vehicle - stated length doesn't include gooseneck or brush. SLX27 is shorter collapsed but is heavier!
As for brushes it's a personal thing but you need something to get started, the 26cm sill brushes are good as they have bristles on the edges but they are heavy - weight is an issue when reaching over extensions or conservatories.

Just so you know you might need anywhere between 25 and 50litres of pure on a first clean.

Gardiners state the max extension hose for their backpacks are 20m plus pole hose. ez-snap (rectus 21) connectors are decent. Normally female on backpack and male on pole hose. Standard gooseneck or swivel gooseneck - swivels take a little practice but I find I can get the brush flat on the glass from any angle.
Pole wise slx25 is a decent pole but be careful of the collapsed length will fit in your vehicle - stated length doesn't include gooseneck or brush. SLX27 is shorter collapsed but is heavier!
As for brushes it's a personal thing but you need something to get started, the 26cm sill brushes are good as they have bristles on the edges but they are heavy - weight is an issue when reaching over extensions or conservatories.

Just so you know you might need anywhere between 25 and 50litres of pure on a first clean.
Thanks for that, so I could order the pole with 11m of hose....then buy another 20m to leave on the backpack. If I went with the slx 27 could i remove the last section until I needed the extra reach? Thanks for the heads up on the water, I normally have 200l of ro ready so I've got plenty to have a go with.

Thanks for that, so I could order the pole with 11m of hose....then buy another 20m to leave on the backpack. If I went with the slx 27 could i remove the last section until I needed the extra reach? Thanks for the heads up on the water, I normally have 200l of ro ready so I've got plenty to have a go with.
I would buy the extra hose. It always comes in handy. You'll be fine with an SLX '25. I personally wouldn't remove the last section on any Gardiner pole, it's insulated in case of electric shock. You'll only need enough hose to stick out the end of your pole so about 2m. The rest goes on the sack truck/backpack.

I would buy the extra hose. It always comes in handy. You'll be fine with an SLX '25. I personally wouldn't remove the last section on any Gardiner pole, it's insulated in case of electric shock. You'll only need enough hose to stick out the end of your pole so about 2m. The rest goes on the sack truck/backpack.
Thanks, so order the pole with free 10m and get a 20m for the backpack? ive been reading loads about different pole lengths and it seems loads of people use the 22 for most jobs. Ideally I'm guessing I could do with a few but as I'm learning I wanted to get one to cover a few more bases. Would a 22 be better then buy extensions when needed or just go for the 25 or even 27 at the start?

Thanks, so order the pole with free 10m and get a 20m for the backpack? ive been reading loads about different pole lengths and it seems loads of people use the 22 for most jobs. Ideally I'm guessing I could do with a few but as I'm learning I wanted to get one to cover a few more bases. Would a 22 be better then buy extensions when needed or just go for the 25 or even 27 at the start?
Yes, standard pole hose length (PU hose is good and only a couple of £ more) and 20m is good.
Pole length does depend on the areas you are going to work in. I have a few Victorian houses that even just getting to the 1st floor windows needs a pole longer than 18ft! Pole length/weight is a balance as you want to be able to do most jobs but a heavier pole takes more muscles to swing about all day. I started with a SLX27 and found it quite tiring at the start so I bought a clx18 and used the shortest/lightest that would do the job. After 3 years I mainly use the slx27 but I do love switching to my clx8 for bungalows and big conservatories. Be aware that the brush weight is magnified at length - horizontal (reaching over extensions or connys) more so than vertical.

Just be aware that what ever pole you go for needs to fit in your car/van and the collapsed dimensions don't include gooseneck or brush.

If you ever go to quote and you are unsure if your pole will reach don't be afraid to say to the customer that you will get your pole to check you can reach. If you can't reach be honest and say I can do all the windows and doors apart from x and the price would be £x.

Thanks for that, I have a fairly big car and will hopefully be getting a small van in the future but I'll double check the closed length first. I'll get the pu hose if that's the better one, as you say not much in it price wise. I'm currently watching videos about swivel goosenecks?............. im trying to get it right first time but not sure that's possible, hopefully that set up will get me started on the right foot.

Thanks for that, I have a fairly big car and will hopefully be getting a small van in the future but I'll double check the closed length first. I'll get the pu hose if that's the better one, as you say not much in it price wise. I'm currently watching videos about swivel goosenecks?............. im trying to get it right first time but not sure that's possible, hopefully that set up will get me started on the right foot.
I would spend an extra £10 and spec the pole with the QUICK-LOQ ANGLE ADAPTER (Free) and add a QUICK-LOQ ANGLE ADAPTER (TYPE 1) WITH SWIVEL GOOSENECK for £10. That way you have the choice plus swivels aren't great for soffit, fascias and gutter cleaning. So having both is a good idea in my experience.
While you are there I would add a QUICK-LOQ GOOSENECK - LONG TOP ARM PART as they are only £3 and are handy for the odd deep sill.

I would spend an extra £10 and spec the pole with the QUICK-LOQ ANGLE ADAPTER (Free) and add a QUICK-LOQ ANGLE ADAPTER (TYPE 1) WITH SWIVEL GOOSENECK for £10. That way you have the choice plus swivels aren't great for soffit, fascias and gutter cleaning. So having both is a good idea in my experience.
While you are there I would add a QUICK-LOQ GOOSENECK - LONG TOP ARM PART as they are only £3 and are handy for the odd deep sill.
Great mate ill get all of those? thanks for sharing your experience I appreciate it. I know this is a very invidual thing but which brushes would you recommend to start? I was going to get a flocked for leaded and then one for window and possibly another for gutters and sofits

@Ben c I used a ford focus when I started and got a pole in no problem. Don't know what car you have, but if it's an estate you'll probably be fine. The only thing with a car is you can't carry anywhere near as much water as a van, but if it gets you going then fair play to you. Don't overthink it at the beginning, just watch videos and pick a pole and brush. The good thing with Gardiner stuff is it's very easy to modify to your own liking as time goes on.
PS. I'm not sure if you can pick a swivel gooseneck as an option when you order the pole. If you decide you want one I think I have a spare so I'll send it to you if you want it. Will save you a few pennies of your initial expenses ?

The annoying thing regarding the car thing is I had a focus estate spare which I wasn't using and sold it cheap to friend a few weeks before deciding to have a go at the windows. I have a zafia so it's almost like a small van with all the seat down. Funny you mention over thinking.......... the more I read ive nearly talked myself out of trying on more than one occasion. That's a really kind offer on the gooseneck i really appreciate it?

Great mate ill get all of those? thanks for sharing your experience I appreciate it. I know this is a very invidual thing but which brushes would you recommend to start? I was going to get a flocked for leaded and then one for window and possibly another for gutters and sofits
My favourite brush is the SUPREME 23CM BRUSH - DUPONT TAPERTEC HYBRID 2 x 2mm jets but I don't use it very often now as I have gained experience and strength I now mainly use 35CM XTREME BRUSH - DUPONT TAPERTEC HYBRID and it's flocked version with 4 x 1.5mm jets.
I also used the SILL XTREME 26CM BRUSH - FLOCKED as it's not a bad weight and the SILL 26CM BRUSH - FLOCKED but this is very heavy especially when wet!
I quite liked sill brushes with extra bristles at the sides and their curved profile as you don't need to get the angle on the glass correct - you do get the hang of angles with experience. The problem with them is their weight.
Gardiners have a good table for brushes here: Gardiners Brush Guide which shows all the brushes and best uses plus weights.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

The annoying thing regarding the car thing is I had a focus estate spare which I wasn't using and sold it cheap to friend a few weeks before deciding to have a go at the windows. I have a zafia so it's almost like a small van with all the seat down. Funny you mention over thinking.......... the more I read ive nearly talked myself out of trying on more than one occasion. That's a really kind offer on the gooseneck i really appreciate it?
Absolutely, but I'm the vauxhall will be fine. It's easy to overthink it at the start. I went over it for ages going back and forth. Then I bought an unger nlite pole and backpack from window cleaning warehouse. I cleaned my windows and some freinds and a neighbour just to get used to it. After that I was fine. The biggest problem is getting reasonable customers and keeping hold of them. Once they see you are polite and reliable you'll be fine. No problem regarding the gooseneck, I'd be happy to send it to you .

My favourite brush is the SUPREME 23CM BRUSH - DUPONT TAPERTEC HYBRID 2 x 2mm jets but I don't use it very often now as I have gained experience and strength I now mainly use 35CM XTREME BRUSH - DUPONT TAPERTEC HYBRID and it's flocked version with 4 x 1.5mm jets.
I also used the SILL XTREME 26CM BRUSH - FLOCKED as it's not a bad weight and the SILL 26CM BRUSH - FLOCKED but this is very heavy especially when wet!
I quite liked sill brushes with extra bristles at the sides and their curved profile as you don't need to get the angle on the glass correct - you do get the hang of angles with experience. The problem with them is their weight.
Gardiners have a good table for brushes here: Gardiners Brush Guide which shows all the brushes and best uses plus weights.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
@ched999uk that's a nice selection of brushes. I love the xtreme flocked sill brush, but haven't tried the 35cm one. I recently got a dupont super lite which is really good for dirty frames (but a bit heavy).

Hello all

I'm guessing you have fish 🐟

When you talk of hoses are you referring to a pole hose?
If you buy a package deal IE wfp, brush head, angle adapter and select hose it will be measured so that it is enough at full pole extension and plugs into your backpack.

Do not try and run an additional hose reel from a backpack! You'll not get enough flow to clean and rinse with.

I've only ever used genuine Parker rectus 21 fittings and always carry plenty of spares
Stay away from any non Parker clones as the retaining clips fall off and the collar launches into outer orbit.

I'd spend some quality time going through the forum posts and writing plenty of notes. Familiarise yourself with terminology, part names and equipment as it will make future enquiries easier

Reference already having a job, being an employee is a lot easier than being a sole trader. This industry is tough. Many I've met who take up the trade are under the illusion that being self employed makes you rich and you can take whatever days off you fancy. When the cold wet and windy winter appears they are the ones who can't handle it and often quit. You'll need alot more than friends and family to sustain a viable business but practice pays off

Be mindful that you'll need to amend any vehicle insurance if you are using it as a business. If you are involved in an accident and you are using your vehicle for work you'll get stung. Payload weight and safe carriage of goods ie water is key. Not sure on the distances you'll travel but unsecure 25L water barrels can kill.. brake too hard and find out.
ratchet strapping everything down Is paramount

I started with a Kia Sedona for a good 12/18 months with a Gardiner Backpack. I still have my original CLX27 bought 2nd hand after 8/9 years- used only for removing cement on new house build gutters/facia's now.
Remember you'll need a decent sack truck to move the backpack around - lightweight is better for the back loading in/out of the car. Problem is had to replace them more frequently as they are not man enough for the job and the solid wheels dig into gravel!
The Zafira will easily hold the whatever pole you choose- CLX is superb for starting off but is a bit heavy but will standup to abuse but go for the SLX.
I started with the Sill brush but found it too heavy and now use the Supreme 23" and flocked for leaded windows.
I used the back pack with 35Mt reinforced hose pole which i eventually put on a cheap hose reel and it worked absolutely fine- had to change the pump only once after 2 years of use!
Hope it's of use to you and remember as you get more experienced you'll fine your own technique and what works/doesn't work for you- but get a van that does not have a sprung axel from personal experience unless it's relatively new- they don't take the weight of the water.
Finally- Any questions- just ask - there is always an answer here

Back