New to waterfed poles

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by DDs, Mar 19, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. DDs

DDs Newcomer

Hi

I'm having a career change just now and looking at a few options of starting my own business, Window cleaning is one I'm doing research on and the only thing I was wary about was going up ladders (bad experience decorating :D) I know the basics of starting up a business and ive read about marketing etc on here but I need help on what equipment i will need. I'm unsure whether to start with a backpack and work up or just get the trolly unit. What would be best to start with? I don't want to go out and spend a few thousand and not use most of it. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Hello mate
    You would prob be best reading through previous threads as it's been asked many times .. Then if you need be more specific

3. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

Hi DD
    If you are going to work from a car or small van then I would make sure you can fit at least eight 25ltr barrels of water in it along with your trolley. I can vouch for the Pure Freedom trolley (there are other similar ones) as it's the one I use and I believe it to be the most compact when it folds down. It's also easy to maintain. I opted for the trolley from day one as I felt it looked more professional than a backpack strapped to a sack barrow. However, the latter is a much cheaper option (less than a quarter of the cost of a trolley in most cases) as a starting point and there are many on these forums who swear by them and use them all the time. I was loaned a backpack to get me started and once I saw how good the WFP method was I went straight out and bought a purpose built trolley and never regretted it.
    Whatever option you go with though, don't skimp on your Pole. Buy the best you can afford. I can thoroughly recommend Gardiners Poles especially the SL-X range. The latest bit of kit to revolutionise the way we work is the Uni-valve and tubeless pole kit from ex-ceed that you may have read about on this and other forums. This is used to switch your water flow on and off and save you having masses of hose at your feet.

You will also need to decide whether you can or want to buy your pure water locally or produce it yourself. If you want to produce it yourself I suggest starting another thread or reading through some older ones to get an idea of what you will need. You will need to know what your local water quality is before you start. You will need a TDS meter. They're cheap to buy.

There's a start! :thumbsup:

4. albootyerbaws

albootyerbaws Well-Known Member

check this video great help.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. tlwcs

tlwcs Guest

Your so naughty albootyerbaws

6. albootyerbaws

albootyerbaws Well-Known Member

:laugh::laugh:

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

What other things were you thinking of doing apart from window cleaning, if you don't mind me asking?

8. DDs

DDs Newcomer

I'm a barber so opening my own shop. Cost wise it's about 5-6k for a basic shop so much more expensive and earnings can be £500-800 per week so a decent return but I hate being indoors. I was then thinking cleaning houses and ovens but again indoors and boring. I've looked into a food van doing fresh pizza and a selection of world foods just something different from the usual burger and bacon roll but I dunno if it would work and I see more burger vans than window cleaners here. I enjoy working outdoors and know how to work hard so window cleaning might suit me.

9. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

So how will you fit in both as the shop will need full attention surely ?

10. DDs

DDs Newcomer

I'm not doing both it's 1 or the other. I'm willing to put hours in but I like a day off every so often :D. I'm not rushing into anything yet just looking at what I need and going to go around my area see if there's any potential customers. I live in a well off area and I'm hoping if 1 neighbour has a window cleaner others might want to keep up with the Jones's. I've never seen a window cleaner round my area so either there isn't a need or they just don't exist here.

Advertisement