Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie question about wfp

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chipsnbeer

Hello all. New member here and finding the forum a brilliant source of information.

I'm a trucker at the moment but working 60+ hours a week and 5-10 hours a week commuting is taking its toll on my health so I've been looking into being a window cleaner.

Originally I thought about offering traditional window cleaning but I'm starting to think wfp would be much safer.

I've been looking on the window cleaning warehouse website at the water fed pole systems / setups but it all looks like double dutch to me - are there any reputable companies that offer the van and wfp system as a complete setup? Or is it easier to buy the kit and have it fitted than it looks?

I'm still learning traditional in my spare time but finding that I'm getting direction lines when moving the squeegee. They seem to dry off leaving the glass seamless but it's off putting and making me feel like I'm just not grasping it. I have the Unger s plus and the red rubber.

Thanks very much all.

Hello all. New member here and finding the forum a brilliant source of information.

I'm a trucker at the moment but working 60+ hours a week and 5-10 hours a week commuting is taking its toll on my health so I've been looking into being a window cleaner.

Originally I thought about offering traditional window cleaning but I'm starting to think wfp would be much safer.

I've been looking on the window cleaning warehouse website at the water fed pole systems / setups but it all looks like double dutch to me - are there any reputable companies that offer the van and wfp system as a complete setup? Or is it easier to buy the kit and have it fitted than it looks?

I'm still learning traditional in my spare time but finding that I'm getting direction lines when moving the squeegee. They seem to dry off leaving the glass seamless but it's off putting and making me feel like I'm just not grasping it. I have the Unger s plus and the red rubber.

Thanks very much all.
Hi mate

Welcome to the forum. To be honest yes I would just go straight for wfp. Not only is it safer but it is much quicker to. You can buy a ready made set up. Or you can go about setting it up yourself. Obviously it will be more expensive if you buy a van already set up but takes away a lot of hassle.

Theres a lot of things to consider before you jump in such as is your area saturated with window cleaners? Do you want to filter your water yourself? or is there a spotless pure water station nearby you can fill up at? Its cheaper to filter it yourself but its a lot less hassle to buy it.

What I did was I went out with a window cleaner for a day just to study how he went about his day and to look at his set up. This really helped. I do think its still useful to keep your hand in the traditional side of things though as some custys will want you to clean the insides to. Those red rubbers arent particulary good I bought a load and had a load of fine streaks to. Better off sticking with pulex or unger.

Don`t forget to use that search bar for any info you wish to access and good luck to you.

Thanks very much all.
Hi. I'm a ex tramper of 20years class 1 and long hours and silly start times and finish times etc as you knw what its like out there. I watched loads of you tube videos etc. Took lots of notes. I started my window cleaning business nearly 2 years ago waterfed pole is the way i went and Not looked back bud. I've got better family time with my kids and wife now. Lots of information on this forum aswell to help you. What area are you from?

Hi wfp is the way to go yes companies are out there which offer the whole set up .Depends on your budget I went with Ionic quality systems and touch wood no issues it’s now over ten years old still looks like new.Ionic do also second hand systems. You won’t regret coming into this trade with wfp it open the doors to lots of add ons which are a good earner.
Best of luck work hard you will get there

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I live in Birmingham so yep it's very competitive, but I was thinking of buying a round so I could atleast have a bit of work to hit the ground with then working from that.

Silly question but, do the pure water companies like Ionic or Xline have official fitters? Or is it a DIY approach to buying it all then find someone to assemble it all?

I'll definitely use the search, I have loads to learn about wfp as I didn't know you could purify it at home

Thanks guys

Ionic’s supply and fit their own systems and have a few approved centres around the country that fit their systems for them ,their stuff is good but expensive if you are on a tight budges look at Ionic’s sister company pure o2 they will usually price match any other quotes from different company’s and there kit is crash tested ,

i used to drive taxis many years ago to bring some more cash in . before i got too much work on haha.
the main reason i stopped was my leg getting pins&needles and going a bit light headed very rarelly but it happened.
i thought its time to stop as it was effecting my health being in a seated position for so long.

WFP cleaning was the best thing i done. canvassed and door knocked regularly.
it paid off big time . for the last 10 years its been great. never had so much . work when i want . holliday when i want .
im tall so Driving all day did not suit me .
Go for it
Try get a couple of days work with someone local while you build up enough work to go solo

Thanks very much all.
Generally speaking soft squeegee rubber is best for most weather conditions and hard is for hot weather / hot glass / hot water.
Have you tried using the S shape technique so you squeegee the whole pane in one swipe? It means fewer swipes and less run lines.
Othersise make sure you wipe the blade after each swipe and that they overlap. Use a dry microfibre cloth for clearing off any lines. When it starts getting damp use a fresh dry one or kitchen roll is good as well.
But anyway, as everyone says wfp is the way to go. It's the only sensible way to go forward. It's handy being able to trad but the money is in wfp. I'd recommend you looking into it all and understanding completely the differences if you want to sound credible to customers - what are the advanyages of pure water from a customer's perspective?

Just PM'd you Clean Zero. Thanks everyone for all your help I really appreciate it. K in Kent you're right about getting more knowledgeable about wfp - it gives more confidence to the customer. Do you think it's worth going on a wfp course or just reading as much as I can on windowcleaningforums and youtube? At the moment for traditional I'm using red rubber and fairy liquid and trying to squeegee the same way tradman does off youtube - the hardest part i'm finding is the first part, cutting in. Once I've cut in I can glide down the window but cutting in then going back over the part I cut in from (going over it dry to get rid of the smears at the top corner) is what I'm finding tricky. Thanks all

Latest Posts

Back