Newbie With Questions!

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by mufcglen, May 4, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mufcglen

mufcglen Well-Known Member

hi guys,just joined the forum and have read some interesting stuff already!
    basically im looking to start building a round for myself around where i live and have plenty of time to build it up as im currently working self employed with my father doing property maintainance, im pretty much sorted for gear having a couple of sets of ladders on my transit van and have a load of unger cleaning stuff, now ive been practicing on my own house as i live on a main rd thats busy so the windows always need cleaning and the wife says i do a good job but personally theres a few things im just not happy with!

firstly when ive soaped the window and squeegied it, whats the bet way of trying to get the edges of the glass all around the window? im just wiping them with a micro fibre cloth but why's the squeegie not getting this area very well?

secondly i plan on doing the window frames and sills as part of my service, whats your guys thoughts on best way to clean them? at the mo im using a wet micro first then go over with a dry to finish?

final question is regarding buiding work up?
    ive noticed theres window cleaners in my area but am i ok to post leaflets through these peoples doors, as thats my plan to card or leaflet the whole area with my price, im not going to undercut people on purpose as i know its a no no in the window cleaning world! also should i knock on peoples door or follow up on carding?

Advertisement
  2. wax_addict

wax_addict Member

I'm just starting out myself, had my first load of customers this week, a few for next booked in.

You'll get more experienced advice from others but I've found :

Every house you learn something new and encounter little problems, be it window size and reach, different frames, access etc.. And through trial and error you learn by doing.

I always leave water around the edges, micro cloth and it's fine though. From what I've gathered it's fairly unavoidable hence the need for detailing and carrying cloths, but I figure as your technique gets better the lines become thinner and cleaner.

I've knocked doors twice, about an hour each time, picking up about 3 customers out of maybe 30 doors, ten answering. A lot higher than I expected to be fair. If nobody is in I drop a leaflet. Or if they have a windy or don't want one I ask if they don't mind I'll give them my leaflet should they need one in future. I don't ask how much their windy charges if they have one, just give them a leaflet and a thank you, no problem. Theirs no such thing as patches, just don't go out undercutting others, there's plenty of houses I figure.

Dress in your uniform, look presentable etc.. Also I bought a nice little leather Filofax thing that looks the part and where their details go.

I'm not fully confident so I tend to pick and choose easy houses for now, easy access and simple windows etc.. One or two are big with challenging windows though, gotta do them at some point. I'm very much easing myself in slowly, but so far so good.

Time wise, I'm slow as ****, but this will improve hopefully.

I have a big house next week and the lady seemed pretty adamant that she wants the frames and sills done, which I'm a bi nervous about having no idea what's the best method (I just think a scrub and dry so they're white and clean?) so looking for tips there as well.

But yeah, starting out is a bit weird. I feel like a big amateur, which I am, but I have to present myself as a professional, so I kinda feel pressured into making the job perfect at the moment, but slowly as I'm doing a few more jobs its becoming comfortable.

Best of luck mate, put the effort in and it'll work for anyone. If I can do it the next man can!

3. mufcglen

mufcglen Well-Known Member

cheers for replys pal,im just about to have a load of flyers made to start distributing around my local area that i want to target, theres one nice estate where they have loads of bungalows so wil be looking to try and get some work of them hopefully.
    i replaced all my upvc last year and just decided to start cleaning them myself and actually enjoyed it and have different techniques but just do what feels best for me to get nice results as that will be my main concern obviously is to make sure the actual job i do is spot on!
    can i ask what people are using in regards to cleaning fluid?
    i have been using the green unger stuff which isnt too bad and doesnt leave too many marks but the squeege doesnt glide on the window after ive soaped it up!
    ive read on here people using the multipurpose cleaner mixed in to theyre mix to leave it streak free so im gonna get some of that stuff to try but just need to sort the cleaning liquid now as the unger stuff isnt cheap really.
    one final question why do people do the dog ear mod to theyre squeege, is it to help with the edges of the window as i stated im having a problem with?
    hope it goes well for you pal!

p.s loving the forum,its a bounty in info, some forums ive been on they dont like newbies lol!

4. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

well good luck to you, in these times it may be difficult.

I have one house where the instructions are to wash all the frames as well as the windows. this is a three-bed detatched and is priced at £19, normally it would be about £8-£10. I took it over from another windy, and at first was not keen, but have been doing it for a couple of years now. Of course, you've got to consider the time it will take if you do all your customers this way, and it is fairly hard work, but I must say that having them done regularly keeps them very bright and clean. I was in fact so impressed that I now do my own this way, every time, even though I don't get paid!!! You are right in the way to do it. I spray the frame and glass, then wash round the frame, keeping the cloth as damp as possible, then do the windows, and finally polish all the facing surfaces with a dry cloth.

There will be alot of talk here about edges, so I wouldn't at this point be too concerned, and continue to wipe round the glass, there are other ways, but better to wait until you are a bit more used to things. One thing you can do now, is when putting your water onto the glass, is to have it wet but not pouring down the window, and when blading, or fanning, only have about 2-3mm of rubber showing each end of the channel and angle you squeegee at about 45 degrees into the direction you are going. One more thing, only use good quality equipment.

5. dasslr1

dasslr1 94 to go

i also have trouble with water around the edge of the window i use a microcloth.id heard of a method called dog ears.check it on youtube and it ll explain it more then i could . go to youtube and type in " a new way to dog ear a squeegee " hope it helps u

6. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Don't try to run before you can walk.

Advertisement