Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

non return valve

WCF

Help Support WCF:

My son works out of 25l containers the pump controller are van mounted, he uses a ‘Y’ connector so he can pump from 2 x 25l containers at a time, each time he swaps the barrels he gets a air would a non return valve on each piece of pipe where the filters are attached stop this? See photos for explanation of what I mean Any suggestions people please would be much appreciated.

@spruce lol

C116622B-29D7-4439-8C54-E22D58E63AD7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son works out of 25l containers the pump controller are van mounted, he uses a ‘Y’ connector so he can pump from 2 x 25l containers at a time, each time he swaps the barrels he gets a air would a non return valve on each piece of pipe where the filters are attached stop this? See photos for explanation of what I mean Any suggestions people please would be much appreciated.

@spruce lol

View attachment 17171

An airlock is simply caused by the pump sucking air into the pipe because the water in the containers is now finished. Unfortunately for your son he is now drawing water from 2 containers so once air enters the pipes the air bubble will rise to the top and stop water being sucked from the other container which could well be nearly full.

All a non return valve will do is stop any remaining water in the flowing back into the tank after the air has 'broken the vacuum.' It will hold the air bubble in the pipe and the only way to get it out is to suck it through the pump after you replace the empty containers with full ones. A non return valve won't stop him having to 'bleed' the air out of the pipes.

Our first setup was a trailer with 3 x 150 liter tanks mounted lengthways. When the tanks emptied the lowest tank (trailer with one wheel on the kerb) was the one that would start to allow air to be sucked into the system even although the other outlets were still under water. We found that once the water level was just above the outlet of the tank air started to be drawn in.

The only way you are going to stop this is the replace the plastic containers with a single upright tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Spruce does make total sense ? I have a rectus fitting on the reel inlet that he disconnects each time he changes barrels, bit of a pain but does only takes Few seconds each. 

Back