opinions please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by simon, Jan 23, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. simon

simon Guru

my lad's decided he will try n make a proper go of window cleaning so,
    how much does it cost to take him as a full employee??
    can i make him go self employed & give him some work which he will give me a % of ??

:( or is it all doomed to stress & fall outs lol

Advertisement
  2. Damo

Damo Guru

Depending on what you pay him somewhere between 80-109£ per day.

That's allowing for pay/tax/holiday pay etc.

He would be better being self employed obviously.

3. Damo

Damo Guru

With that you have suggested with the % idea wouldn't float with HMRC. He would be classed as employed.

4. Green Pro Clean Ltd

This is an interesting dilemma.

From 8-5 each day can you treat him as an employee as opposed to a son? If so take him under your wing and give him the benefit of your experience and guidance.

Alternatively if he is ready to give you a run for your money, set him up on his own with a van and gear and then share out the work load, instead of taking a percentage look at it as securing your boys future, also as tow separate companies you can pass work here and there and possible legitimately stay below the VAT threshold with you both being on good earnings.

5. dt clean

dt clean Member

round our way people pay between 40 & 90 per day for workers. They often pay cash and see it as the workers responsibility to sort tax and ni and effectively they are self employed. pay peanuts get monkeys.

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

They will have a shock when HMRC catch up and tell them otherwise.

Simply paying someone cash in hand does not make them self employed.

7. dt clean

dt clean Member

im not saying that's how it should be done. I had my lad sign a waiver to say he is to take care of his own ni and tax. I recommended getting an accountant. The work is subcontracted to him officially. There is no proof of ownership on the work.

8. dt clean

dt clean Member

Where I live there are at least 25 window cleaning businesses in the town alone and they cover pretty much all of Cheshire. I think there's at least 100 lads getting paid cash in hand

9. Green Pro Clean Ltd

dt clean there are probably more than 25 just in my postcode of NG4 alone. Just because there are many doing it it does not make it legal, I personally think we should all do things in a 100% legit manor then perhaps people will stop perceiving window cleaners as 'cash in hand top up the beer money' types and start taking us as serious businesses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. dt clean

dt clean Member

I agree but I don't worry about what I can't change I just make sure I'm doing things by the book.

Advertisement