Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

You have £X to start up and build a round from scratch tomorrow. How do you do it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The pandemic has stopped the supply chain for new vehicles and pushed the price of older vehicles up. It will balance itself out eventually but there are some garages charging new prices on low milage used vehicles because you can't get the new ones. I guess the domino effect follows down the line.
Looking in auto trader vans are drastically reduced in price as they cannot sell them I saw a transit custom reduced by 9 k a few weeks ago , brand new I think anyone in the market for a new van now will pick up a bargain.

The sales team should get a list of what is coming due as this is the time to 'strike' to sign up their existing customer for a new lease.
Aye, sounds right, they offered him a choice of 3 colours on a new 70 plate and I think they have sold his already. Its only 2yrs old and less than 10k on the mileage so they won't have it long. £150 a month for a 4 door Peugeot 108 and he won't even need to buy a tyre for it, I realise why folk are leasing now.  

I think there are some more regs coming in within London early next year effectively banning non Euro 6 vans!! So hopefully supply of non Euro 6 vans will increase early next year.
Off topic here but my vehicle has a fault due to the Ad Blue system (Euro 6) and is booked in for repairs and could take around 2 weeks to repair.  So I'll be without a vehicle for around 2 weeks, just when things were starting to pick up for me and schools returning!

Off topic here but my vehicle has a fault due to the Ad Blue system (Euro 6) and is booked in for repairs and could take around 2 weeks to repair.  So I'll be without a vehicle for around 2 weeks, just when things were starting to pick up for me and schools returning!
Is it worth hiring a van? If it's warranty then get them to supply a van if they need it for 2 weeks. Maybe a load of barrels, a battery (from existing van), a pump, and controller etc?

Two weeks seems like a huge amount of time for a repair. Can't they diagnose then give you back van while they order parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks? I would try another garage.

Is it worth hiring a van? If it's warranty then get them to supply a van if they need it for 2 weeks. Maybe a load of barrels, a battery (from existing van), a pump, and controller etc?

Two weeks seems like a huge amount of time for a repair. Can't they diagnose then give you back van while they order parts?
It's being carried out under the dealership's warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty and there's nothing in there about supplying a replacement vehicle.  I will get a courtesy car though!  Because of injuries to my arms, I cannot be bothered with the barrels so I have written the period off!

It has been in twice for diagnostics, they don't know what the problem is until they strip out the ad blue system.  I have taken it to two Ford garages and both have said the same thing.  It will take at least a week, but more likely finished in the second week.

Very annoying.

2 weeks? I would try another garage.
As mentioned above, two Ford garages have said it will take up to 2 weeks, but at least one week.  

Think I will but some leads from Green Pro and spend the time delivering leaflets and doing quotes etc.

It's being carried out under the dealership's warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty and there's nothing in there about supplying a replacement vehicle.  I will get a courtesy car though!  Because of injuries to my arms, I cannot be bothered with the barrels so I have written the period off!
Although there is nothing to say you have a replacement vehicle doesn't say they can't help out towards a hire van? I wasn't thinking of lugging barrels more as a container. i.e. pump to fill them up then hook up to pump and reel. 

I guess it all depends on how much you will lose. Plus what kit you will lose on van, is pure production in van or at home? If it's at home maybe even buy a 250 lts tank to use for a week or so. Oh maybe even strap on in on the hire car? 

2 weeks work to repair an adblue system seems huge to me but as you have a couple of opinions saying same thing must be true. I always thought an adblue system was a tank, pump, mixer and a ecu. I am probably over simplifying things.

If you can do something productive I suppose it's not wasted time. Hope it all goes well and they fix it within the week and you get lots of good new custys.

Mine had this back within 2 days

It was the first sensor on the system telling all the other sensors something was wrong

They had to contact ford head office for help seems to be a common problem

Just had another recall letter 

But at least they are on it as regarding  customer service 

Mine had this back within 2 days

It was the first sensor on the system telling all the other sensors something was wrong

They had to contact ford head office for help seems to be a common problem

Just had another recall letter 

But at least they are on it as regarding  customer service 
They have replaced the NOX sensor - but this did not fit the fault. 

Although there is nothing to say you have a replacement vehicle doesn't say they can't help out towards a hire van? I wasn't thinking of lugging barrels more as a container. i.e. pump to fill them up then hook up to pump and reel. 

I guess it all depends on how much you will lose. Plus what kit you will lose on van, is pure production in van or at home? If it's at home maybe even buy a 250 lts tank to use for a week or so. Oh maybe even strap on in on the hire car? 

2 weeks work to repair an adblue system seems huge to me but as you have a couple of opinions saying same thing must be true. I always thought an adblue system was a tank, pump, mixer and a ecu. I am probably over simplifying things.

If you can do something productive I suppose it's not wasted time. Hope it all goes well and they fix it within the week and you get lots of good new custys.
I'm still building up my client-base so I can manage to move things around without too much hardship.  My set up is a delivery tank/pump in my vehicle and using water from Spotless.

Two weeks does sound a long time - the problem is, they have to strip everything out to reach the ad blue system.  I have already re-scheduled the first week's batch of customers.  Should the work extend into the second week, then I may start getting a little stressed!  I'm also worried they may have to reset the ECU and potentially losing the software installed by GrippaTank, and having to book another install in with them which could lead to further delays!

If the vehicle is new I'd be asking if the vehicle is fit for purpose. Don't take bull? from a dealership

Interesting, what software did GrippaTank install on the ECU?
No idea - it operates the "smart" battery that powers the pump and reel.

If the vehicle is new I'd be asking if the vehicle is fit for purpose. Don't take bull? from a dealership
No, it's 3.5 years old.  I bought it used and fortunately the fault occurred within 2 days of the expiry of the dealership warranty. I cannot fault the dealership at all and they did offer me a van but I declined as I did not want to mess around with barrels and a backpack for a week or two.  I did that last year and suffered injuries to my arm which I do not want to aggravate as they are still causing problems (tennis elbow and carpal tunnel).

Lot's of interesting replies here since starting the thread, I have read all of them and I am keeping up to date but I've have a really busy week and not had much chance to sit down and write a proper reply.

It seems the main talking point in terms of budget allocation is around the vehicle (which does make sense considering it's the most expensive piece of the jigsaw). I see both sides in terms of people saying it's best to start off cheap and use the surplus towards gaining custom, and I see that having a tidy reliable van is important with how much it's relied on. Obviously the latter usually isn't cheap which then means leasing could be a good option because you're getting a new (should be) reliable van without a large outlay and still being able to dedicate a large portion of start up cash towards marketing and gaining custom. I haven't really ever leased/financed anything and don't really like the idea of being tied down like that.

As lots of you have already said used vans aren't cheap at the minute either. I'm keeping my eyes open on autotrader to get a feel for what's around if the time does come to pull the trigger.

If I was starting again I would be looking to buy a round.

Lead generation and other methods are good but if your area is saturated this will take time and time is money.

There is a chance that with a busy area and starting out you will also inherit a lot of rubbish and problem customers other cleaners have dropped.

If you have the work and are getting busier then you buy from van dealer with warranty because without the van one has no business. I was out today looking for a new exhaust for my Crafter and its a hard task. So many different types out there and that's with supplying my reg number. Ordered one on internet so I will wait and see if it fits when it arrives. If I continue to get the work then my next target is a new van with a small 350l tank for the add-ons.
But going through warranty can be more troublesome then actually getting it fixed from your local mechanic , trade cars are more expensive by 20% more because they factor there 12 momths warramty in ? id rather pay 20% less and a hars task looking for a car exhaust? Hows it so hard ? All u do is phone your local car factors (ull have several based within 10 milea from u ) u give them your vehicle reg and they will have it ordered within 24 hours ? 

i have all ford transits , so parts are  common and cheap , theres a lot of transit breakers which helps me a lot , 1 time i needed a new steering rack... i thought i would save some money and get a second hand one , a month later i needed a new one , ? u have to take the rough with the smooth lol

My brother leases a new one every 2 to 3 years and the dealer wants his 2 year old lease car back for a new one. I think they have a seller lined up by the sound of it.
 Lease cars go straight to auction , if u wanna but cheap loon at BCS car solutions , cheap cars and much better then renting ! Theres that many good mechanics about now with low prices its actually worth owning your own vehicle and saving on £££ , i was paying £250 , per month for a van thats 3k per year , 9k per 3 years !

But going through warranty can be more troublesome then actually getting it fixed from your local mechanic , trade cars are more expensive by 20% more because they factor there 12 momths warramty in ? id rather pay 20% less and a hars task looking for a car exhaust? Hows it so hard ? All u do is phone your local car factors (ull have several based within 10 milea from u ) u give them your vehicle reg and they will have it ordered within 24 hours ? 

i have all ford transits , so parts are  common and cheap , theres a lot of transit breakers which helps me a lot , 1 time i needed a new steering rack... i thought i would save some money and get a second hand one , a month later i needed a new one , ? u have to take the rough with the smooth lol

Lease cars go straight to auction , if u wanna but cheap loon at BCS car solutions , cheap cars and much better then renting ! Theres that many good mechanics about now with low prices its actually worth owning your own vehicle and saving on £££ , i was paying £250 , per month for a van thats 3k per year , 9k per 3 years !
A 6 van operation with old vans running around scrap breakers 

Get yourself a good accountant and listen to his advice and you will have a nice fleet ?

I had to put my van in to Ford this month for some work under warranty and I could not fault them.

Dealt with it quick and sorted the problem van was back within half a day communication was also good.

I have had old vans and now new and new gives me greater peace of mind and comfort.

I have enough problems looking after one van never mind six. Received my exhaust yesterday and it looks like the correct one, £120 from Online Automotive and very impressed with them. Will get it fitted this morning.

A 6 van operation with old vans running around scrap breakers 

Get yourself a good accountant and listen to his advice and you will have a nice fleet ?
Why would i want 6 vans  that are new? So i can have higher repair costs for when my vans get bumped? No thanks and i have a 16 plate and 2x 12 plates so not that old is it ? Lmaooo dont judge ? ??

Ive had 2 brand new vans and ive learnt my lesson ?

u should meet me one day @sundance i can teach u a few skills regarding business ??

u shouldnt tell me what to do either cos im levels above u when it comes to business ??  

Latest Posts

Back