Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just starting my own round, but another window cleaner is in the area already any advice?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

KrypTiK

Hi all hope your well and enjoying your Saturday as much as I'm not haha after another defeated day out on the doors :( since I have recently purchased equipment and a ladder to start my own window cleaning round (this is my second job currently) however since starting to canvass my local area I have found there is already a regular window cleaner and I'm looking for advice on what to do or what you guys would do as I don't currently have a my own transport so having to do everything on foot until I have saved for a cheap car changing the area completely is kind of out of the question for me.

Starting canvassing I'm getting a lot of "potential customers/tyre kickers" I either get we already have such and such doing ours he's been doing them for years etc and I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my canvassing techniques or try an area 15-20min walk away and see if I get any better potential over there instead?

My go to usually goes along the lines of Hi "love/mate/pal/sir" Do you currently have a window cleaner? "Yes/No" Would you like a window cleaner "Yes/No" Id be happy to give you a quote for you windows "f*** o**/Yes" Gives quote and my contact info.

However I've found I'm not yet receiving calls about the quote and I'm wondering is it something I'm doing wrong or maybe its the fact there is already a regular guy? should I also be going round the same houses I already knocked and follow up as I'm on the fence with this as don't want to come of as cheeky or p*** the other window cleaner off haha the thing that gets to me is some of the lads I used to work with could pull new customers like second nature even though they were extremely unpleasant people and its got me questioning why I'm struggling with this so much?

Any advice from you chaps will be greatly appreciated and hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend <3

*Just for reference I have done window cleaning for years but under a gaffer so never had to do canvassing for my own work etc I'm highly experienced on the cleaning side its more the customer generation I'm struggling with*

My go to usually goes along the lines of Hi "love/mate/pal/sir" Do you currently have a window cleaner? "Yes/No" Would you like a window cleaner "Yes/No" Id be happy to give you a quote for you windows "f*** o**/Yes" Gives quote and my contact info.
Not sure of your area but personally I wouldn't use 'love/mate/pal' etc it could come across as a bit unprofessional.
If they say they don't have a windy just ask if they would like a quote.

When I quote after I have had a look round and worked out my price I explain to the customer that I clean frames, glass doors etc, work all year, windows will be left wet etc. and say I normally do 6 weekly and the price would be £xx hand over a card with quote on it and then ask if they would like me to book them in. If they are hesitant or need to chat to partner I just say you have my quote and my number let me know if you would like me to book you in.

With your limited area then you will have to be quite methodical in your canvassing ie make notes as to which house you have spoken too so you can go back at another time to try and speak to 100% of potential customers. It is a numbers game though you will get used to the knockbacks but stay professional, look professional (even just branded sweatshirt and work trousers, stay polite and smile.

It might be worth watching a few youtube vids on closing sales but don't be too pushy as you want customers who want your services long term not ones who just say yes to get rid of you.

Hi all hope your well and enjoying your Saturday as much as I'm not haha after another defeated day out on the doors :( since I have recently purchased equipment and a ladder to start my own window cleaning round (this is my second job currently) however since starting to canvass my local area I have found there is already a regular window cleaner and I'm looking for advice on what to do or what you guys would do as I don't currently have a my own transport so having to do everything on foot until I have saved for a cheap car changing the area completely is kind of out of the question for me.

Starting canvassing I'm getting a lot of "potential customers/tyre kickers" I either get we already have such and such doing ours he's been doing them for years etc and I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my canvassing techniques or try an area 15-20min walk away and see if I get any better potential over there instead?

However I've found I'm not yet receiving calls about the quote and I'm wondering is it something I'm doing wrong or maybe its the fact there is already a regular guy? should I also be going round the same houses I already knocked and follow up as I'm on the fence with this as don't want to come of as cheeky or p*** the other window cleaner off haha the thing that gets to me is some of the lads I used to work with could pull new customers like second nature even though they were extremely unpleasant people and its got me questioning why I'm struggling with this so much?

Any advice from you chaps will be greatly appreciated and hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend <3

*Just for reference I have done window cleaning for years but under a gaffer so never had to do canvassing for my own work etc I'm highly experienced on the cleaning side its more the customer generation I'm struggling with*
Theres always another windowcleaner around and so what! Move on?

There could be three or four window cleaners in the area working the same street.
If they say they have a window cleaner then leave a card and move on. You are looking for customers who don't have a window cleaner.
You might have to try another estate, but as @ched999uk says, it's a numbers game.
You might get 10 or 15 no's and then a yes. Look forward to the no's as you are getting closer to a yes.

It's not easy looking for new work these days.

I this day and age I would be offering incentives that others may not like paying online via certain apps or bank transfer.

Alot of cleaners round here on the cash. But I prefer online payers and the customers do too

I this day and age I would be offering incentives that others may not like paying online via certain apps or bank transfer.

Alot of cleaners round here on the cash. But I prefer online payers and the customers do too
Online payments are great! I only have 2 cash customers who are on the brink of expire anyway, all others are on online payment. I already used time cleaning the windows, why waste time chasing the money afterwards.
To be fair, in Denmark cash is almost vanished from society, and most people pay via an app on the phone.

I mean this with no disrespect but if you don't even have a vehicle, you aren't ready to start in my opinion.
Not true at all, I started in the village I grew up and had no issues carrying a ladder around all day as that's what I'd done previously for someone else we walked the streets in villages and towns, and there are still some that do this now as they don't drive.

His reach will be limited for the time being but if he is willing to put the leg work in and the graft he can succeed, I had a lad like one of my FB posts on Friday I remembered his name but couldn't place him, then I did he started off with a trolley on his own estate because he couldn't drive a few years ago I didn't think he'd succeed but looking at his FB business page he clearly as he is busy and driving a nice sign written van, not seen him for years as he lives in a different area

Not true at all, I started in the village I grew up and had no issues carrying a ladder around all day as that's what I'd done previously for someone else we walked the streets in villages and towns, and there are still some that do this now as they don't drive.

His reach will be limited for the time being but if he is willing to put the leg work in and the graft he can succeed, I had a lad like one of my FB posts on Friday I remembered his name but couldn't place him, then I did he started off with a trolley on his own estate because he couldn't drive a few years ago I didn't think he'd succeed but looking at his FB business page he clearly as he is busy and driving a nice sign written van, not seen him for years as he lives in a different area
Fair enough, the only kick back I'd have to that argument is do you think it's plausible and realistic in this day and age with the cost of living etc? I suppose you could "get started" as even just a few houses is extra money, but most of the new starters these days have all the gear no idea (me included ?) and I'd imagine it'd be hard to look professional amongst them.

Fair enough, the only kick back I'd have to that argument is do you think it's plausible and realistic in this day and age with the cost of living etc? I suppose you could "get started" as even just a few houses is extra money, but most of the new starters these days have all the gear no idea (me included ?) and I'd imagine it'd be hard to look professional amongst them.

Me included to begin with.

In the early days before wfp there were several cleaners in our area who left ladders with customers when they had completed their rounds of that estate. They then moved onto their round in a new village and retrieved a set of ladders with one of their customers there.
I think one cleaner had 4 of 5 sets of ladders scattered around. After he disappeared, one of his ex customers asked me what he should do with his ladders he'd left behind.

Not sure about where you work and live but there are some rough-looking cleaners in even rougher-looking vans that are cleaning expensive houses on nice estates also some lads in nice vans all sign written doing a :poop: job watched a guy for a few seconds who I have seen before wfp two windows did the glass only he had loads of complaints from people and he jacked in but came back months later with daddies backing again and the old customers took him back and I even had people sack me off for him :rolleyes:

Not sure about where you work and live but there are some rough-looking cleaners in even rougher-looking vans that are cleaning expensive houses on nice estates also some lads in nice vans all sign written doing a :poop: job watched a guy for a few seconds who I have seen before wfp two windows did the glass only he had loads of complaints from people and he jacked in but came back months later with daddies backing again and the old customers took him back and I even had people sack me off for him :rolleyes:
Yeah it's the same way here, I'm probably biased in my view point to be fair because I'm basing it off what I'd personally go for in a window cleaner/tradesmen, I'd want the sign written professional looking person but I suppose it doesn't apply to everyone

I know what you mean though, there's loads of them on Facebook at the minute, and they all seem to have YouTube channels giving tips and advice now too ? I've always thought it was crazy that the WFP guys are typically much more expensive than traditional, as trad is much harder (at least for me) and more time consuming, as well as the danger aspect.

Me included to begin with.

In the early days before wfp there were several cleaners in our area who left ladders with customers when they had completed their rounds of that estate. They then moved onto their round in a new village and retrieved a set of ladders with one of their customers there.
I think one cleaner had 4 of 5 sets of ladders scattered around. After he disappeared, one of his ex customers asked me what he should do with his ladders he'd left behind.
I suppose that's another point too, longevity wise, how long can someone really put up with walking around with a set of ladders on their shoulders before they've had enough and want to jack it in? I don't think I'd last two days doing it like that personally but I'm very much part of the all the gear no idea brigade ?

I suppose that's another point too, longevity wise, how long can someone really put up with walking around with a set of ladders on their shoulders before they've had enough and want to jack it in? I don't think I'd last two days doing it like that personally but I'm very much part of the all the gear no idea brigade ?
I did trad for 14 years no problem.
I’m overweight and a binge drinker but still managed to whizz up and down the ladder all day.
I know a guy who works in similar areas to me and has been a trad windie since the age of 20. He is now 68

Yeah it's the same way here, I'm probably biased in my view point to be fair because I'm basing it off what I'd personally go for in a window cleaner/tradesmen, I'd want the sign written professional looking person but I suppose it doesn't apply to everyone

I know what you mean though, there's loads of them on Facebook at the minute, and they all seem to have YouTube channels giving tips and advice now too ? I've always thought it was crazy that the WFP guys are typically much more expensive than traditional, as trad is much harder (at least for me) and more time consuming, as well as the danger aspect.
That's what I'd normally go for myself when hiring a tradesman, but it doesn't always apply our heating engineer doesn't have a sign written but his work is spot on and he is one of nicest lads

And I've been through a few trades over these past few years went through 4 sparkies before finding the best one pleased we got him as he had far more respect for doing the last phase and not damaging original features we've got panelled wallpaper on some of the walls that has been on over 75 years

Last edited:
I did trad for 14 years no problem.
I’m overweight and a binge drinker but still managed to whizz up and down the ladder all day.
I know a guy who works in similar areas to me and has been a trad windie since the age of 20. He is now 68
I take my hat off to you guys, I'm new school I'm only 26 and have done WFP for the past three years. It'd be hard for me to trad full time now knowing WFP is the easier, safer and quicker option (quicker for me anyway). I'm also ? at trad but I can do it if I need to.

Problem is m, even if there not completely happy with the job the current window cleaner does, 9 times out of 10, if there polite and a decent enough person then there not getting rid of him. Only time I've really picked up alot of work from someone's run is when they stop being regular and turn up when they want.

If your in am area which says they already have someone and you notice alit of the windows are dirty, ask how regular they get cleaned. You might get an idea if others would move if they say he turns up when he wants etc. Then there could be potential to pick up some.

Firstly don't worry about other cleaners, there are always LOADS in each area these days, as long as you don't try to undercut them id say all's fair. I agree with earlier comment on ditching love/mate/paI its casual and unprofessional, you dont need to address them at all, maybe start with Hi im ________, do you have a window cleaner?. Then I would add into your canvassing flow chart, after do you have a window cleaner? Yes., Are you happy with their services? There are many splash and dash cleaners out there with unhappy customers and IMO they don't deserve to keep the work if you can offer a better job at more money. It is a numbers game as others have said, one day you can trudge round all day, get insulted and come away with nothing. Another day you get loads. Also don't try to be cheap to get work. You will regret this later. Decide what hourly rate you want to earn (my area (Dorset) less than £40p/h and you're a mug!) and price jobs at that, walking away from a job because they don't want to pay you a decent wage is not stupid. Its a question of self valuation, are you a second class citizen that deserves to struggle? Also how are you going to buy the vehicle and upgraded equipment without decent turnover? Hope this helps, good luck.

Don't worry about not getting calls, they will come it just takes time. There will be loads that speak to hubby and hubby says im not paying for that ill do them myself, then they stay dirty forever. If you keep decent notes you can call back the next time the round goes down their road, a month, 6weeks or however long later and repeat till you get yes or no. It helps if they are good notes so it sounds like you know what you're doing and you don't repeat previous conversations.

if i didnt get into WFP cleaning i wouldnt be doing this work now. its ok climbing ladders when young . when you get older with more responsibilities you see the Danger a fall from a ladder can do not only to you but your Family also
I was up & down ladders for years .

if i didnt get into WFP cleaning i wouldnt be doing this work now. its ok climbing ladders when young . when you get older with more responsibilities you see the Danger a fall from a ladder can do not only to you but your Family also
I was up & down ladders for years .
Yes me too Johnny. I was always careful but still had 2 lucky escapes where I fell and was uninjured. This WFP business is much safer. Also I had issues with my knees from ladder climbing, some days I would do 2nd floor flats (ground, first, second) and now after 15 years not on the ladders my knees are now ok again.

I’ve done it for the best part of 25 years bud no problem. I’m mainly wfp now but still have no problem using ladders. That said if you where using the wfp systems we where using 20+ years ago you’d probs be beggin for a ladder? The first set up I used there was no controller, just pump straight to battery with croc clips which was basically your on/off switch. Two 50metre hose lock reels with 25mm hose joined together and 45’ fibreglass pole that was pretty much uncontrollable in the slightest of winds. These days this jobs a breeze which is good but has opened the doors to every tom, d1ck and harry to jump on the band waggon. My puplic liability halved last year as this job is now considered a relatively safe job.

Latest Posts

Back