Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best way to clean stained wooden (painted) sills

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mrtaytay

Got a house to clean tomorrow that has painted wooden frames and sills. The customer has just texted asking if I can remove the stains on the edge of the sills. You may have noticed this kind of staining before.....vertical lines caused (I think) by rainwater running off the sills. It can normally be partially removed with a wet micro fibre and a bit of elbow grease. However, this customer is particularly fussy so I wondered if anyone had a quick effective method of removing this type of staining. I might be wrong, but didnt someone on here say that magic sponges shouldnt be used on wooden frames and sills?.

Got a house to clean tomorrow that has painted wooden frames and sills. The customer has just texted asking if I can remove the stains on the edge of the sills. You may have noticed this kind of staining before.....vertical lines caused (I think) by rainwater running off the sills. It can normally be partially removed with a wet micro fibre and a bit of elbow grease. However, this customer is particularly fussy so I wondered if anyone had a quick effective method of removing this type of staining. I might be wrong, but didnt someone on here say that magic sponges shouldnt be used on wooden frames and sills?.
I wouldn't touch it because once you start a job like this, and can't get it clean, you are stuffed. any kind of liquid will seep into the grain, and will not come out. Easier to re-paint.

Magic sponge and neat Virosol will get it off Tay :thumbsup:

CBA25CA1-5B76-4478-ADB5-875D85EB53FA_zpslbr2qvwb.jpg

C8FBD4A6-E12C-4668-A7E0-113B5647FC31_zpsli5gerzr.jpg

I wouldn't touch it becausit once you start a job like this, and can't get it clean, you are stuffed. any kind of liquid will seep into the grain, and will not come out. Easier to re-paint.
Its a bit difficult though when they are a regular customer. I just gave It a go with a scrubbing brush and soap and water today.....only partially effective as the lines could still be seen.

Magic sponge and neat Virosol will get it off Tay :thumbsup:
CBA25CA1-5B76-4478-ADB5-875D85EB53FA_zpslbr2qvwb.jpg

C8FBD4A6-E12C-4668-A7E0-113B5647FC31_zpsli5gerzr.jpg
Cheers Tuffers. Looks like you did a brilliant job there. I just tried to do it with soap, water and a scrubbing brush and the results were ok, but far from brilliant. I had it in the back of my mind that someone on here had said that magic brushes and painted sills/frames dont mix.

I've used a mix of soap & hypo on good condition white painted manky wood before.

If the wood & paint is no good I will advise that the windows should be replaced.

Who has painted wooden windows these day anyhow as are a pain in the ****. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back