Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pencils, fans and rinse bars which to choose?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’ve rinsed both on and off with it successfully. Success rinsing on with it though, is dependent on how much debris you pick up with it.

My DuPont Xtreme is also still in good nick though now it's now mainly used as a backup brush.
Might order one soonish lol I have a couple of brand new flocks brushes already though lol.

I normally have a change every week or so 35cm extreme one week, extreme sill the next week whenever I change a brush I think it's the best brush ever until the following week lol. 

My idea brush would be a extreme 35cm sill brush, I'm really hoping that @Alex Gardiner develops and adds them to his line of brushes. 

I really love the light weight of these brushes. If I put anything else on now it feels like I’ve got a brick on the end of the pole.

Re the swivel, I’ve been using mine so long now it’s second nature. I tried a standard fixed gooseneck a while back but it was like working with a fused wrist or elbow. I found the swivel added a whole new level of versatility that was very useful to me.

I really love the light weight of these brushes. If I put anything else on now it feels like I’ve got a brick on the end of the pole.

Re the swivel, I’ve been using mine so long now it’s second nature. I tried a standard fixed gooseneck a while back but it was like working with a fused wrist or elbow. I found the swivel added a whole new level of versatility that was very useful to me.
Totally agree with everything you say my main pole is an extreme 18 which is the icing on the cake ?

Well that’s what’s good about this job, all subjective opinions.

I just didn’t get on with it ?

Recently moved from a fixed goose to a swivel, really like the swivel until the fan jet barb snapped in half! If it had been on the fixed it wouldn't have popped off so easily today cleaning the last few houses. Still all the works been done now and I can sit back and enjoy a glass of customer brought wine this evening after a delicious Chinese takeaway.

Overall I prefer the swivel but it's not a night and day difference ime. Looking at a lightweight brush now to complement the Extreme pole I have. Currently got a supreme 35cm attached right now.

Made my order with Gardiner, got a new backpack, jets and some extras coming for Christmas, little present to myself. Brought a new sack truck for half the price I've seen elsewhere so I'm quids in ?

Well that’s what’s good about this job, all subjective opinions.

I just didn’t get on with it ?
I remember the first one I tried about 11 years ago. It was more like a ball joint with slightly less movement on the longitudinal plane than the lateral plane. A mate who swore by the thing lent it to me and it nearly put me off swivels forever. The brush was all over the show. He’d learned to control it. I never did.

the easiest way to work with minimum strain is with a 26cm xtreme brush and a carbon gooseneck on an xtreme pole.....i use pencils jets ...they are more accurate for rinsing by a country mile esp when you dont want to get water on a top dodgy rubber seal......also always carry spares brushes,etc just in case you break/snap jets or hose for a quick swap out......

Hi all

Had a nightmare past two days just before Christmas. On Tuesday my hose ripped in half but thankfully I carried a repair pack in the van then yesterday the barbed plastic on my fan jet snapped clean in half! Finished the day with one fan jet operational and the other pipe just spraying like a pencil jet over the top.

Got home and fitted some new tubing to what remains of the broken jet, glued it and added a o clip to try and keep me going for the final six houses I need to do today, be glad when I'm all done and dusted that's for sure.

anyways what's everyone's thoughts on fan jets over pencils when I order my replacement parts, much prefer the fans myself but I'm considering a rinse bar too if they are worth the extra am doing less liable to snap in half. It's for a Gardiner ultimate 35cm brush, currently with fitted with 50 degree red fan jets.
Tried fan jets and didn't like the water spray going everywhere. Especially into the vents of frames. Four pencil jets is defo my preference.

Slightly off topic, but I recently bought a swivel gooseneck and used it for a day.

Absolutly hate it. If any of you are passing through Bromley, you’re welcome to it

It taken me a year to get used to my swivel. There are some areas where its definitely a plus (when you get used to it) and there are some areas where its a definite negative. One definite negative is if you want to 'dig' the edge of the brush in to get at a bit of bird's muck. The brush just swivels when doing this.

I have a few brushes on the van but mainly use the Ultimate Dupont and Ultimate mixed. The Ultimate mixed has the swivel and the Dupont fixed. I probably use the swivel brush 70% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried fan jets and didn't like the water spray going everywhere. Especially into the vents of frames. Four pencil jets is defo my preference.

Horses for courses I guess, I'm the opposite. Got a 26cm brush head with two pencils which I wasn't keen on. Perhaps using four pencils in the larger head would give me a better feel, it's only the "feel" that I like using the fans as it's what I'm used to.

As for spray I use a backpack set at 6.30 or 7 on the dial, close to the glass I get no spary, more a screen of water but you have to keep it close.

New Gardiner backpack and sack truck looks legit, much better than my preowned version I've been dealing with past months . Backpack is shorter than the original, looks wider but isn't (and yes I measured it up as I was so curious). Sack truck has suspension and is hieght adjustable too, roll on Jan.

Back