Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Plastic Weld Glue For Leaking Tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Iron Giant

Staff member
Just discovered this morning that my static tank which is a 350ltr water butt is leaking from the centre seam underneath ? I have the tank lifted off the floor with two pieces of timber so there is no doubt with the weight of the water it has split in the middle with it sagging it is only a slight drip but has overnight let out quite a bit of water,

My question is has anyone used a plastic weld glue they can recommend or would a two-part epoxy glue do the job, not sure how long I'd need to leave it to cure enough, I then have enough timber and some laminated board to create a base for it to sit on moving forward, my tank is full of water right now ready to fill my van tank this evening so I'll have to stick it out for another day yet. Thanks

One of the local lads had a Wydale 650 litre tank in a Purefreedom frame. It started leaking from a seam. He tried a few diy ways to fix the leak (not sure what they all were) but he eventually replaced the tank. Sorry.

Now I remember he also asked someone who repairs plastic bumpers if he could help. He said no, as his repairs were cosmetic and not structural.

One of the local lads had a Wydale 650 litre tank in a Purefreedom frame. It started leaking from a seam. He tried a few diy ways to fix the leak (not sure what they all were) but he eventually replaced the tank. Sorry.

Now I remember he also asked someone who repairs plastic bumpers if he could help. He said no, as his repairs were cosmetic and not structural.
Thanks for this, there is some plastic weld glues available which are meant to be more flexible for certain types of plastic more flexible plastic etc, Loctite do one so it won't hurt to try over the weekend as I can't be without it even if ultimately it ends up needing replacing which will take a few days anyway to be delivered.

I have just ordered an Enduramax black 500ltr upright tank from Tanks Direct £264 Inc delivery with a big enough lid opening to drop my sub pump into to transfer my water, the footprint isn't much bigger than my current smaller tank

I have just ordered an Enduramax black 500ltr upright tank from Tanks Direct £264 Inc delivery with a big enough lid opening to drop my sub pump into to transfer my water, the footprint isn't much bigger than my current smaller tank
Far better than faffing around, if @spruce had given up then you knew it was doomed. Would still reinforce the bottom of the frame where the tank sits though.

Just discovered this morning that my static tank which is a 350ltr water butt is leaking from the centre seam underneath ? I have the tank lifted off the floor with two pieces of timber so there is no doubt with the weight of the water it has split in the middle with it sagging it is only a slight drip but has overnight let out quite a bit of water,

My question is has anyone used a plastic weld glue they can recommend or would a two-part epoxy glue do the job, not sure how long I'd need to leave it to cure enough, I then have enough timber and some laminated board to create a base for it to sit on moving forward, my tank is full of water right now ready to fill my van tank this evening so I'll have to stick it out for another day

My question is has anyone used a plastic weld glue they can recommend or would a two-part epoxy glue do the job, not sure how long I'd need to leave it to cure enough, I then have enough timber and some laminated board to create a base for it to sit on moving forward, my tank is full of water right now ready to fill my van tank this evening so I'll have to stick it out for another day yet. Thanks
I have a 500 litre ecosure tank, (not supposed to repair them) with a leak on the seam low down I repaired it using fibre glass a lot of layers. 1 course sandpaper over a much bigger area than the split.
2, build layers of fibre glass.

I have a 500 litre ecosure tank, (not supposed to repair them) with a leak on the seam low down I repaired it using fibre glass a lot of layers. 1 course sandpaper over a much bigger area than the split.
2, build layers of fibre glass.
Some of these plastics tanks can be welded , like the material Ionic’s use for there tanks , the clear ibc tanks are blown mouldings and cannot be welded , try Googling plastic welders near me , it’s generally not that cheap but might be a lot cheaper and easier than changing a tank .

Off cut of the same plastic and a soldering iron
I have done this a few times in the past
Just like plastic welding
Melt a groove along the split and melt the new plastic into it

Off cut of the same plastic and a soldering iron
I have done this a few times in the past
Just like plastic welding
Melt a groove along the split and melt the new plastic into it
Yes the plastic welder is just like a big soldering iron but probably produces more heat ? On thicker material than a normal soldering iron

So this evening I got it emptied and managed to get a proper look at it all around, turns out it was leaking from one of the plugs/bungs they put in at manufacturing in the outlets ?

But on full inspection it had two cracks in base internally but not all the way through because it had sagged with been placed on top of a few pieces of decking board, the cracks are worse than the photos may show.

Attachments

• PXL_20230105_164806543.jpg
    PXL_20230105_164806543.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230105_164735265.jpg
    PXL_20230105_164735265.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 8
Far better than faffing around, if @spruce had given up then you knew it was doomed. Would still reinforce the bottom of the frame where the tank sits though.
If it can be a completely flat surface the tank sits on, then that's best.
I may just place it directly on the garage floor I only had it raised in an effort to avoid moisture forming on the outside of the tank through the winter and making the floor wet as I do have carpet down in areas to keep it a bit warmer with storing various things in there but it's hardly ever that cold and in hindsight has cost me a headache and money

Latest Posts

Back