Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Possible insurance claim against me

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Very sorry to hear you're in this position, and fully understand you're dilemma. However, firstly I genuinely don't understand how a few litres of water could possibly distort a solid wooden door, possibly plywood but not a wooden door.
I would also strongly advise not to contact your insurance company as you will be stuck with your current provider, and their extortionate prices as most other providers won't touch you with a barge pole as you've had a claim in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
The door cost a grand so that is why the customer is looking to be compensated. Any thoughts?
The customer should have had the door stained ASAP she is trying to push the blame onto you for their own stupidity anyone with half a brain would have had it stained ASAP if rain was forecast no matter how big the porch is, she would have completely forgot about you turning up so wouldn't have thought to get in touch and ask you not to clean it.

I don't understand at all where she is getting the it must be left for 2 days before staining more so not with the weather we have been having. I'd leave her to get back in touch with you!

Anyway, I’m glad I have waited before making a claim now as the more I’ve talked to people and the more I think about it, the more I believe I’m not to blame. I spoke to a very experienced builder today and he said leaving the door over night in this weather is enough to warp it due to the airs moisture content; it should be treated either before fitting or immediately after. He’s also not sure where this “2 days before treating” has come from. I will think about my response for a bit before sending it to her. I think one thing’s for sure, she is going to be p*****d.

Anyway, I’m glad I have waited before making a claim now as the more I’ve talked to people and the more I think about it, the more I believe I’m not to blame. I spoke to a very experienced builder today and he said leaving the door over night in this weather is enough to warp it due to the airs moisture content; it should be treated either before fitting or immediately after. He’s also not sure where this “2 days before treating” has come from. I will think about my response for a bit before sending it to her. I think one thing’s for sure, she is going to be p*****d.
My thoughts on the 48hrs might be it was potentially been fitted during a spell of rain and maybe the fitter advised leaving it for a day or two to avoid trapping any moisture in, which is fair enough,

But if it were me I'd have been checking the weather ahead and the directions for the woodstain they'd be using and if rain was forecast within 24hrs I'd have cracked on and stained if it's water based stain they need two coats of stain to make it waterproof, I wonder if they only managed one coat 🤔 it really is anyone's guess and only the customer knows all the facts which they may be withholding from you 🤷

If you weren’t warned about the door, how could you reasonably have anticipated any problem? The customer would need to establish negligence, and it’s difficult to see any. Your insurers could well take exactly the same line.

My thoughts on the 48hrs might be it was potentially been fitted during a spell of rain and maybe the fitter advised leaving it for a day or two to avoid trapping any moisture in, which is fair enough,

But if it were me I'd have been checking the weather ahead and the directions for the woodstain they'd be using and if rain was forecast within 24hrs I'd have cracked on and stained if it's water based stain they need two coats of stain to make it waterproof, I wonder if they only managed one coat 🤔 it really is anyone's guess and only the customer knows all the facts which they may be withholding from you 🤷
Yes that would make sense, however being under quite a large porch I’d imagine that wouldn’t be the reason for them not treating it. Like you say, only the customer knows all the facts and Im now in the position where any correspondence needs to be written so there is evidence, otherwise I’d much rather speak over the phone.

If you weren’t warned about the door, how could you reasonably have anticipated any problem? The customer would need to establish negligence, and it’s difficult to see any. Your insurers could well take exactly the same line.
Yep, and I don’t want to waste everyone’s time by reporting it. So have decided to leave it. Customer has still not replied to me basically saying “not my problem” (I worded it a bit nicer than that!) so I’m keen to see what and if she replies.

Update: customer finally replied to my text. She said I hadn’t notified her I was coming (I never do as she doesn’t have any access issues). The door was sealed (not sure how well as it leaked and got water stains). She finally went on to say not to clean the front door in future! Not sure I will be going back to be honest.

Latest Posts

Back