proper chucking it down

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by colinvansmith, Nov 29, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. What do you guy do when it is proper chucking it down with rain and windy. In situations like this we don't go out but then feel guilty as its losing us money. Where is the cutoff though, when is it too wet to clean windows using a wfp. I know in theory we can clean in any weather but for example i was out this morning and was soaked within ten minutes i don't mind going out in light rain but when its proper heavy i just can't find the mootivation, what about the rest of you.

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

In light rain we will continue, I am on the west of Scotland and have lost about 5 days work over the last week or so, and it looks like the next few days will be the same. But its all relative, last year we lost plenty of days over December with all the snow we got, and we did pretty good that year over all.

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Like laddergarder, i generally carry on as normal in light rain, but heavy rain is a bit trickier. If i am in the middle of doing a house and it starts chucking it down, i will finish it off and retire to the van where i will try to suss out what the weather is likely to do. If it looks like its just going to be a shower them i will have a cuppa or something, but if it looks like its going to be on for a while, i may just call it a day, depending on how far away from home i am. BUT,..., some of my work is quite far away, so in those cases, i may decide to carry on, even if it means knocking on doors and asking customers how they feel about my carrying on (and yes, i know, in theory at least, it doesnt make any difference, but if a customer doesnt want me to clean their windows in the rain, i respect their wishes). One day, i had 1 house left to do, and it started chucking down with rain, but the town i was working in is 1 hours drive away from where i live. I went to the last house, knocked on the door and explained my predicament to the woman, she completely understood and was quite happy for me to carry on!. Of course, not every customer would feel the same way!. As for the wind, well a lot of my work is out in the country, so wind affects me more than i suppose it would if all my work was in a city, or large town, so i do pay attention to the forecasts regarding wind speed. Wind gusting up to about 30-35mph, i would chance it, but higher wind speeds i would probably stay home. If it started getting real windy when i was out, i would go by how it feels, esp. with my upstairs pole, safety 1st eh!.

4. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I had a big house to clean this afternoon. The customer told me she wasnt worried about the rain so I carried on. Trouble is, the rain became torrential...even my undies were wet through!!...I didnt mind that but was concerned about how the windows would turn out..I mean, how can you check the detailing when the windows are wet through?. Anyway, she insisted on giving me 4 quid extra, telling me that I had undercharged her. That happened this morning as well...one bloke insisted on giving me more money...happened three times last week as well....perhaps there is a message there!!

5. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Thats a pretty good deal mrtaytay, and undies will dry!. But thats why, under certain circumstances, i will ask the customer if its ok with them to carry on, though i've never been offered extra money, doh!.

6. nearlyclean

Supplier

Forget my rain coat once and a customer lent me theirs so I could carry on and get the job done :) most say you have a family to feed and we want our windows cleaned and where I live it rains 90 % of the time anyway.been wet through a few times and a nice hot bath and a big dinner sorts that out

7. Masons

Masons Guru

Why feel guilty if it's a torrential downpour?
    I never leave work because of rain unless I don't feel guilty doing it.
    If you feel guilty your conscience knows you were making excuses and not that it was too bad.

I work in all weather, but depending on wether a job will be worth cleaning if I have to go home dry all my cloths and clothes and if I look a fool to potential customers watching I leave.

How smart will you look collecting your money looking like a drowned rat.... You won't be giving yourself much credit.

Advertisement