Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public liability IOnsurance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We completely understand @Part Timer , unfortunately sometimes insurance companies don't make it clear what's covered – it's really frustrating and can be really costly for the tradesman. Thanks for replying, we find it really helpful in learning about your pain points and how to make things clearer so when you buy an insurance policy you know exactly what you're paying for. Thanks again. 
Well let’s ask the question straight up then, doe’s your company do an insurance that covers the item your working on?

Yes, if you're not worried about the things you said you should get £1m cover for around £70, 2-3 hours work for a years peace of mind. That would be my next phone call if I were you.

That was my way of thinking too - I only use a trolley so my hose is minimal however I'd rather have that peace of mind than the bailiffs possibly turning up to seize everything after losing a court case! Screw that!

My insurance is 5 million cover but like @Part Timer said it doesn't cover the glass worked on , if I drop the pole on jo bloggs car and damage it Ime coverd , if I break or scratch a window Ime not covered absolutely ridiculous, but the excess on most policy’s is around £250 so I wouldn’t claim anyway  evan if I was coverd unless it was considerably more than the £250 as you have to declare the claim for the next 5 years and your premium will go up , so I would just pay for the damage to the window in 20 years I have cracked two pains total cost was less than £200 , so Ime better off anyway . Still annoying though .

Well let’s ask the question straight up then, doe’s your company do an insurance that covers the item your working on?

Most don’t , gleaming is the only one I am aware of that does , but there premium is a lot dearer ,  personly  I would rather go for the not insured for the window insurance and put to one side the extra cost for the all inclusive  policy , given a couple of years the money you would save will pay for a decent window , should the need arise .

My insurance is 5 million cover but like @Part Timer said it doesn't cover the glass worked on , if I drop the pole on jo bloggs car and damage it Ime coverd , if I break or scratch a window Ime not covered absolutely ridiculous, but the excess on most policy’s is around £250 so I wouldn’t claim anyway  evan if I was coverd unless it was considerably more than the £250 as you have to declare the claim for the next 5 years and your premium will go up , so I would just pay for the damage to the window in 20 years I have cracked two pains total cost was less than £200 , so Ime better off anyway . Still annoying though .

Most don’t , gleaming is the only one I am aware of that does , but there premium is a lot dearer ,  personly  I would rather go for the not insured for the window insurance and put to one side the extra cost for the all inclusive  policy , given a couple of years the money you would save will pay for a decent window , should the need arise .
I have it in writing from A-Plan that any windows I'm working on are insured. I do a few old buildings that have big curved glass windows that would cost at least £1k+ to replace. 

With you doing National Trust type work are you not concerned that you might cause some seriously expensive damage. For an extra few hundred quid a year you'd be fully covered, 20% of which is tax deductible. 

I have it in writing from A-Plan that any windows I'm working on are insured. I do a few old buildings that have big curved glass windows that would cost at least £1k+ to replace. 

With you doing National Trust type work are you not concerned that you might cause some seriously expensive damage. For an extra few hundred quid a year you'd be fully covered, 20% of which is tax deductible. 

Yes you are probably right , the national trust , and English heritage do have copies of our insurance and have never questioned it , maybe they just want to make sure we are insured and haven’t read what’s covered and what’s not ?? . We do do some huge leaded and stained glass stuff for them ??? , might be worth looking into , does your insurance stipulate what type of window you are covered for ? Just wondering if old leaded windows would be covered , or if in the small print it’s only your modern type of window ?? 

Yes you are probably right , the national trust , and English heritage do have copies of our insurance and have never questioned it , maybe they just want to make sure we are insured and haven’t read what’s covered and what’s not ?? . We do do some huge leaded and stained glass stuff for them ??? , might be worth looking into , does your insurance stipulate what type of window you are covered for ? Just wondering if old leaded windows would be covered , or if in the small print it’s only your modern type of window ?? 
I just asked for £5 million cover and for it to include windows I was working on. I would guesstimate that the highest value windows I clean are circa £2k and only 100 or so years old. I don't however have to clean anything like centuries old stained glass panels. 

A PLAN does cover the windows you're working on too, I've got the policy because there is plenty of "have a go" window cleaners so it kind of makes me look more professional, it gives me piece of mind that no one in this compensation culture can screw me over and if I do happen to get a commercial job that needs me to be insured, I've already got it sorted, it also covers gutter cleaning too which I've just started.

We never intend for things to go wrong and certainly can't predict something screwing up so it's nice to know I'll only have to pay the excess and get someone else to sort the problem out.

I just asked for £5 million cover and for it to include windows I was working on. I would guesstimate that the highest value windows I clean are circa £2k and only 100 or so years old. I don't however have to clean anything like centuries old stained glass panels. 

Ok thanks for  that might be worth a call when it’s up for renewal , what sort of premium is it and what’s the excess ??

Ok thanks for  that might be worth a call when it’s up for renewal , what sort of premium is it and what’s the excess ??
Cost £241.13 and £250 excess, this is for window and gutter clearing only, doesn't include soft / pressure washing. It also doesn't include cover for me to use preparatory chemicals, something you will obviously have to add. It is also based on turnover and by the sounds of what you do your turnover will be considerably higher than mine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost £241.13 and £250 excess, this is for window and gutter clearing only, doesn't include soft / pressure washing. It also doesn't include cover for me to use preparatory chemicals, something you will obviously have to add. It is also based on turnover and by the sounds of what you do your turnover will be considerably higher than mine. 

Ok that’s intresting , my currant insurance is for  window cleaning, pressurewashing,gutter vaccing,softwashing they just ask what percentage I do of each job , they know I use different chemicals and they don’t seem worried about it , it does  state on the policy that all theses things are covered  , my excess is also £250 , but to be fair I would only claim off the insurance if the claim was going to be in the thousands , as I wouldn’t want all the associated hassle declaring  a claim for the next 5 years ????  .my renewal is in November so will start asking around nearer the time thanks for your help 

Has anyone actually cleaned on their Gleaming insurance?

im covered by them and have recently scratched a clients windows....wondering how difficult they are to deal with....

considerin paying for for it to be fixed as don’t really want premium to go up by masses.

im covered by them and have recently scratched a clients windows....wondering how difficult they are to deal with....

considerin paying for for it to be fixed as don’t really want premium to go up by masses.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Window-Scratch-Repair-Kit-for-Double-Glazing-Windows-Patio-Door-Remover/360842378113?epid=1962633782&hash=item5403e1bb81:g:pu0AAOxygPtS3kDL

10 minutes work and job done

I did it last summer

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I'm with them , haven't claimed ; but they did come highly recommended / i guess it will be fairly straight forward.

Back