Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump problems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jmslade

Hi I was wondering if someone can help, recently had problems with my pump so bought a new pump new variflow and battery, problem is I'm still having problems one day I switch the pump on no problems but other days nothing,so i replace the fuse clean the connections and eventually it works, I know it's a connection problem somewhere but I've uncrimped and recrimped the connections but nothing , this is losing me money. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Just re check all the connections make sure they aren't corroded , and that they are crimped on the wire not the insulation bit , don’t use scotch locks as theses are very prone to connection issues . If all else fails get an auto electrician to take a look .

It does sound like you have an iffy connection.
One thing you could try is have the pump running (maybe have hose back into tank to not waste pure) then wiggle every connection and see if the pump noise changes or stops. If the pump stops then you have found the iffy connection.
Also check the earth of the leisure battery to the chassis of van as that is sometimes a connection people forget.
Let us know how you get on.

It does sound like you have an iffy connection.
One thing you could try is have the pump running (maybe have hose back into tank to not waste pure) then wiggle every connection and see if the pump noise changes or stops. If the pump stops then you have found the iffy connection.
Also check the earth of the leisure battery to the chassis of van as that is sometimes a connection people forget.
Let us know how you get on.
Earth of the leisure battery to the chassis of the van?
Why would you even have that?

That's important if you have a split charge relay. If you have chosen to use the chassis of the van as the negative return from the controller to the leisure battery, then you need to earth the leisure battery. It can happen that the ground on the negative cable to the goes bad (an American expression) through corrosion.

When the resistance of a poor connection/earth is bad, it could well drop the volts to the controller to below 10.4v which is when the controller will switch off. The battery could be fully charged.

When I said earth I should have said negative terminal.
The van battery and the leisure battery negative terminals should both be connected to the van chassis. Then any split charge systems can charge the leisure battery.
Electricity needs to 'flow' between +ve and -ve (positive to negative is the way people generally think of electricity flow, it's actually negative to positive in terms of electron flow) on modern cars they use the chassis as the -ve so you only need 1 wire from +ve and a connection to chassis for something to work.
Most of the time controller will have 2 wires going to the leisure battery to make things simple!

Sorry if you know all that.

That's important if you have a split charge relay. If you have chosen to use the chassis of the van as the negative return from the controller to the leisure battery, then you need to earth the leisure battery. It can happen that the ground on the negative cable to the goes bad (an American expression) through corrosion.

When the resistance of a poor connection/earth is bad, it could well drop the volts to the controller to below 10.4v which is when the controller will switch off. The battery could be fully charged.
Ah, didn’t realise he had a SCR ?

Ah, didn’t realise he had a SCR ?
I don't know if he has our hasn't tbh. ?

If I didn't have and scr, vsr or a battery2 battery charger on my van, then I probably wouldn't run a negative cable from my leisure battery to the van's chassis. I would use a twin cable from the controller to the leisure battery.

If I was fitting a system for another cleaner then I would still earth the leisure battery to the van's chassis even if I used twin cable to his single controller. I would do this because somewhere down the line he could add additional equipment such as a scr, electric hose reel, battery monitor or diesel heater all benefiting with this add-on.
I came across a window cleaner who couldn't understand why his scr wouldn't work. He hadn't earthed the leisure battery to van's chassis. A simple fix that caused him no end of stress because he couldn't identify the problem. Tbh, after the earth cable was fitted he still didn't understand why the system was working with that cable fitted.

Just re check all the connections make sure they aren't corroded , and that they are crimped on the wire not the insulation bit , don’t use scotch locks as theses are very prone to connection issues . If all else fails get an auto electrician to take a look .
Cheers thanks for the help, I actually think it may be a corrosion issue on one of my wires,when I get some time I'm going to rewire the whole lot,Thanks

Latest Posts

Back