Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question for skyvac camera owners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

matt1458

I’ve got a few thoughts on the skyvac camera system, and to be honest not many of them are particularly complimentary but I’d love to know..

Has anyone that owns it ever managed to keep it in the same angle it was in when they fitted it to the vac end on the ground?

I’ve tightened every conceivable part to within an inch of its life yet it doesn’t seem to matter what I do with it within 3 minutes of actually having the camera on the slightest touch, or a bird farting 4 doors down, moves the camera so much it becomes instantly useless, usually pointing in the complete opposite direction to the actual gutter…

Fingers crosses it’s me being an idiot..

I connect mine to the gutter pole and I have to be very careful not to brush it against anything or it will move out of position. It would be a lot better if they just designed it so that it had one point of focus - directly towards what you are sucking up.. So if it got knocked it would not move position. I think my camera take a 1/4 thread screw, I am going to drill through the SkyVac Camera gutter pole clip and insert the 1/4/thread screw so that the camera is set to one position because it is a pain in the ****... Another thing I wish they would do is put some kind of rubber protective casing around the camera so that when you knock it against stuff the casing/lens would not get damaged...

If it's a ball and socket type then you could try some nail varnish on it to stop it moving a bit, worst care you can use nail varnish remover to clean it up.

It's a shame it's a proprietary fitting as that clip and ball/socket looks very poorly designed. Gardiners have a solid version that I use with a cheap Amazon action camera that links to phone via wifi but needs an action camera type fitting.

If you could somehow mount the skyvac camera into a go gro silicone frame it would be cheaper option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126-010548.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126-010548.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231126-010610.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126-010610.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231126-010636.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126-010636.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 10
Ok so I think this is my confirms my suspicion, the vac and pole systems are great, the camera system that’s the best part of £600 and is way lower quality than a GoPro and rearranges itself to point towards the sky at a moments notice really isn’t great.

I’m starting to wonder about the filters too, they look AWFULLY like standard wet n dry vac filters, which don’t cost £60 to replace..

The Sky Vac latest camera 900 quid is crystal clear... As for the filters stick with whatever the manufacturer sells for the machine you have, otherwise it will mess up your warranty if a motor blows and they ask you what filter you used. I know a guy who has had sky vac industrial for about five years and is on the original filter so they are built to last.

The Sky Vac latest camera 900 quid is crystal clear... As for the filters stick with whatever the manufacturer sells for the machine you have, otherwise it will mess up your warranty if a motor blows and they ask you what filter you used. I know a guy who has had sky vac industrial for about five years and is on the original filter so they are built to last.
I have still got my original filter it’s a bit grubby but I pressure wash the filter on low revs and it cleans the dirt out of it 100% I have a total of 3 filters and alternate then if they get dirty on a job , you can wash them through with garden hose to remove the majority but I find pw will do a really good job .

I have still got my original filter it’s a bit grubby but I pressure wash the filter on low revs and it cleans the dirt out of it 100% I have a total of 3 filters and alternate then if they get dirty on a job , you can wash them through with garden hose to remove the majority but I find pw will do a really good job .
I tried to clean one but it fell to bits. Think it was in the machine for months and rust took hold.

I tried to clean one but it fell to bits. Think it was in the machine for months and rust took hold.
That’s strange my oldest one must be 5 years old ?… can’t remember when I bought it now but the metal around the filter is galvanised or something similar the white filter material what ever that is is very robust it’s been pressure washed dozens of times and is a bit discoloured but fine , I do however take it out of the drum after use and let it dry out

£249 plus you have to have a half decent phone that could be £500+ these days, then you have to find adapters to fit the gutter pole, the window cleaning pole for the camera, then you have to find a fitting to hold your phone to those poles...Then you have to have the correct software on your phone. Drop out of WIFI/Blue Tooth can be an issue with them.

With the Sky Vac kit its all there, no drop out of signal to the monitor, no issues with updates or needing to buy a new phone because the camera has been discontinued or the App no longer works.

I started off with phones and a number of cameras and got bored off having issue after issue. If you're busy on gutters it's worth what it costs.

£249 plus you have to have a half decent phone that could be £500+ these days, then you have to find adapters to fit the gutter pole, the window cleaning pole for the camera, then you have to find a fitting to hold your phone to those poles...Then you have to have the correct software on your phone. Drop out of WIFI/Blue Tooth can be an issue with them.

With the Sky Vac kit its all there, no drop out of signal to the monitor, no issues with updates or needing to buy a new phone because the camera has been discontinued or the App no longer works.

I started off with phones and a number of cameras and got bored off having issue after issue. If you're busy on gutters it's worth what it costs.
Oh I agree the alternatives are more hassle, that’s the exact reason I bought a skyvac camera.

My point was more for the quality of the camera (and the perpetual pain in the **** mounting system they use) is ridiculous money for what it is

Back