Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Risk accessing a job for hypo treatment.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Depends what you are trying to kill/ remove hypo will kill all bacterial growth ,algi,moss,mould, bacteria causing all the above , it won’t remove road grime Virosol or similar is best fir that type of application.

Some use biocides for killing moss,bacteria , mould, algi ,but they are very expensive , take quite a while to work and from my experience give varied results ,   Most want an instant clean and only hypo will give you that , but using hypo and bio products can be dangerous you need to know what you are doing for your protection ,the customers, anyone else in the area ,animals and the environment ,it’s not a case of spray everything with it .
What if you aren’t trying to kill moss if it’s already been removed via brushing ? What can you use that’s safe, and cost effective to prevent re growth for longer ? Thankyou 

What if you aren’t trying to kill moss if it’s already been removed via brushing ? What can you use that’s safe, and cost effective to prevent re growth for longer ? Thankyou 
From my experience bio doesn’t stop re grown I have experimented on my own house over several years trying different approaches the pictures below are my path it was washed less than a year ago with hypo mix 4-1 , pressure washed , and last September was sprayed with Benz biocide at 10-1 which is an extremely strong mix and in 6 months looks like this . A regular spray with bio or hypo will kill red,green, black , algi , moss lichens , mould , from my experience hypo gives just as long a preventative re growth , @kevinc250 may be able to offer some advice he’s a very knowledgeable guy on this subject 

25800BBF-B948-429C-863F-9920A7D7262A.jpeg

6734FB6A-D97D-4850-A32E-1DE750CA63E7.jpeg

From my experience bio doesn’t stop re grown I have experimented on my own house over several years trying different approaches the pictures below are my path it was washed less than a year ago with hypo mix 4-1 , pressure washed , and last September was sprayed with Benz biocide at 10-1 which is an extremely strong mix and in 6 months looks like this . A regular spray with bio or hypo will kill red,green, black , algi , moss lichens , mould , from my experience hypo gives just as long a preventative re growth , @kevinc250 may be able to offer some advice he’s a very knowledgeable guy on this subject 

View attachment 23608

View attachment 23609
I’m going to give hypo a go as it’s my own drive, can’t really get wrong with anyone other than the Mrs. Where do you guys stand doing for a job is it all legal and allowed for anyone to just spray or do you have to give warning or do a course or anything ? 

I’m going to give hypo a go as it’s my own drive, can’t really get wrong with anyone other than the Mrs. Where do you guys stand doing for a job is it all legal and allowed for anyone to just spray or do you have to give warning or do a course or anything ? 
Technically if charging some one you need a spraying ticket pa1 and pa6 I think it’s called ?? But if you use a watering can you don’t need it ??

Technically if charging some one you need a spraying ticket pa1 and pa6 I think it’s called ?? But if you use a watering can you don’t need it ??
Lovely so much good knowledge on here lol. I’ll have a look for a farm supply show on the day off. Can you use it on any surface would it be alright on the tarmac infront of my garage ? Or is it just for brick and patio ?? 

Be aware you need a proper respirator (not just any old mask), goggles, gloves and protective clothing as it will bleach any clothing it touches. Plus read up on the mix ratio. 

Be aware you need a proper respirator (not just any old mask), goggles, gloves and protective clothing as it will bleach any clothing it touches. Plus read up on the mix ratio. 
Yeah that’s the confusing part lots of talk on here about different strengths and different ratios. I don’t want any cleaning just moss prevention so may start weak can always build up I guess 

Yeah that’s the confusing part lots of talk on here about different strengths and different ratios. I don’t want any cleaning just moss prevention so may start weak can always build up I guess 
The hypo will make the block paving a lighter colour - more like when it was installed. I believe normally on block paving ration is about 1 litre of hypo to 4 litres of water. You can put it in a bucket and use a brush to apply it. That way there will be less spray. Oh and don't let it goon grass or plants unless you wet them down first and after the hypo.

Lovely so much good knowledge on here lol. I’ll have a look for a farm supply show on the day off. Can you use it on any surface would it be alright on the tarmac infront of my garage ? Or is it just for brick and patio ?? 
Be careful on tarmac if it’s new and dark black you could cause lighter blotches , if it’s older and a grey colour it’s less likely to mark it , 4or 5 to 1 is what we use and it’s been fine . 
PPE is important especially eye protection we use visors and safety glasses , masks are a contentious subject , me personal thoughts are if working in the open and using a course spray or a watering can for application then I don’t see they will do much as there is very little to breath in this is why fan jets and similar shouldn’t be used as they turn the mix into a mist , you want droplets  not mist droplets are far less likely to be breathed in . Hypo should not be used in an unventilated closed area like a room without self contained breathing apparatus. If using a mask it needs to be appropriate for bleach products not a particle mask . There are a number of ones out there with replaceable cartridges costs are between £15-40for an  avarage one it’s also important to change the cartridge at the manufacturers recommended intervals . 

Be careful on tarmac if it’s new and dark black you could cause lighter blotches , if it’s older and a grey colour it’s less likely to mark it , 4or 5 to 1 is what we use and it’s been fine . 
PPE is important especially eye protection we use visors and safety glasses , masks are a contentious subject , me personal thoughts are if working in the open and using a course spray or a watering can for application then I don’t see they will do much as there is very little to breath in this is why fan jets and similar shouldn’t be used as they turn the mix into a mist , you want droplets  not mist droplets are far less likely to be breathed in . Hypo should not be used in an unventilated closed area like a room without self contained breathing apparatus. If using a mask it needs to be appropriate for bleach products not a particle mask . There are a number of ones out there with replaceable cartridges costs are between £15-40for an  avarage one it’s also important to change the cartridge at the manufacturers recommended intervals . 
Amazing thanks for all the replies today ??

Latest Posts

Back