Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO Problem help much appreciated

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jason Hogben

RO PROBLEMS
Hi All wondering if anyone out there has any idea what might be going on.

My system is as follows:
Commercial Kinetico water softener
Leading to
20" sediment and carbon filters
Pure freedom 40/40 with a rotoflo boost pump 800ltr per hour model that comes as standard upgrade/add on to Pure Freedom High volume ROs
My machine has twin 40/40s and runs at around 400ltr per hour product water.
My incoming tap TDS is 256 and mains water of 50psi
RO then drops product water down to 9 before Di

The RO normally runs at 80psi the sweet spot is 6bar giving 400 ltrs an hour

The roto flo boost pump is fitted with a bi-pass valve so that you can adjust the pump to run nice and smooth the pump also has a grub screw in the side of it for finer adjustment

Waste is a 1/2" gate valve with a 1.5 mm hole drilled through the gate to give me 50/50 product water / Waste water.

Problem is odd
After flush or change of Di resin
I set the machine up to run sweet turn on make my adjustment to bi-pass valve as you have to open it when flushing and all is well everything running smoothly.

After about 5 minutes the pressure on the membranes rises to 120-140 product water drops off to a trickle TDS in the RO rockets up to 520 or so.

I open the bi-pass valve to get the pressure to drop off then slowly close the bi-pass valve to bring the pressure back up to about 70psi and it starts to make water back at 400ltrs per hour, and the TDS then starts to creep down from 500/400/300/200 and back down to 9 over about 10 minutes
The fresh Di resin goes from 0 to 14 over the 10 minutes and then creeps back down to 1 even 2.

Also the pressure gauge on the membranes will not remain stable and bounces between 50 and 70psi.

The water softener has a brand new head unit on it the sediment and carbon filters are weeks old and have changed them for new ones the boost pumps has been replaced (old one was doing the same thing) membranes were replaced 6 or 7 months ago.

Sorry it's a long and drawn out question.

I've tried everything I can think of but problem continues so ideas and help would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Jase

RO PROBLEMS
Hi All wondering if anyone out there has any idea what might be going on.

My system is as follows:
Commercial Kinetico water softener
Leading to
20" sediment and carbon filters
Pure freedom 40/40 with a rotoflo boost pump 800ltr per hour model that comes as standard upgrade/add on to Pure Freedom High volume ROs
My machine has twin 40/40s and runs at around 400ltr per hour product water.
My incoming tap TDS is 256 and mains water of 50psi
RO then drops product water down to 9 before Di

The RO normally runs at 80psi the sweet spot is 6bar giving 400 ltrs an hour

The roto flo boost pump is fitted with a bi-pass valve so that you can adjust the pump to run nice and smooth the pump also has a grub screw in the side of it for finer adjustment

Waste is a 1/2" gate valve with a 1.5 mm hole drilled through the gate to give me 50/50 product water / Waste water.

Problem is odd
After flush or change of Di resin
I set the machine up to run sweet turn on make my adjustment to bi-pass valve as you have to open it when flushing and all is well everything running smoothly.

After about 5 minutes the pressure on the membranes rises to 120-140 product water drops off to a trickle TDS in the RO rockets up to 520 or so.

I open the bi-pass valve to get the pressure to drop off then slowly close the bi-pass valve to bring the pressure back up to about 70psi and it starts to make water back at 400ltrs per hour, and the TDS then starts to creep down from 500/400/300/200 and back down to 9 over about 10 minutes
The fresh Di resin goes from 0 to 14 over the 10 minutes and then creeps back down to 1 even 2.

Also the pressure gauge on the membranes will not remain stable and bounces between 50 and 70psi.

The water softener has a brand new head unit on it the sediment and carbon filters are weeks old and have changed them for new ones the boost pumps has been replaced (old one was doing the same thing) membranes were replaced 6 or 7 months ago.

Sorry it's a long and drawn out question.

I've tried everything I can think of but problem continues so ideas and help would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Jase
My brain is not working as too late in the day but I’m not a lover of pre-drilled holes as often so not work properly.

I’m surprised with a twin 4040 you are only getting 400 litres an hour as you can get that with a single membrane.

With the readings you are getting sounds like you need to replace the resin in your water softener. How long has the resin been in there for.

My brain is not working as too late in the day but I’m not a lover of pre-drilled holes as often so not work properly.

I’m surprised with a twin 4040 you are only getting 400 litres an hour as you can get that with a single membrane.

With the readings you are getting sounds like you need to replace the resin in your water softener. How long has the resin been in there for.
Thanks for coming back to me Doug. Funny when I had the water softener guys come over to fix a problem I asked if the softener risen needed replacing and he said that it was perfectly fine. I had a new head unit a few weeks back put on it and with out the softener it runs the RO at 24 with the softener it runs at 9 so the softener seems to be doing its job. A question for you Doug.

Your not keen on waste gate valve having the drilled hold in it. Could I ask why that is and do you think I should do something different???  I had a problem with gate valve fluctuating water pressure so I put the drill hole to over come that issue.

Jase

Latest Posts

Back