Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scotland window cleaners licence

WCF

Help Support WCF:

They don't do a criminal check... They say they do, but they don't ask enough questions on the forms to be able to. I believe they'd need you to fill in a full Disclosure Scotland form, which they don't request. They also don't even ask if you've been known by any other names, which would be critical information when checking someone's criminal history. I've also submitted insurance documents with a different name than mine (due to changing my name back when I divorced) and got issued a licence no problem!

Unfortunately though, they can enforce it if they suddenly want to... They are allowed to fine you quite substantially, so although it seems they don't enforce it, it would be quite a risk to ignore it [emoji848]

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
But how do they know who you are Beccy, unless you voluntarily gave them your name? I think we have the right to not tell anyone,and that includes police our names,unless we've committed a criminal offence.
[emoji848]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If they follow my hose they'll find a van with a number plate, and my business name, website address and phone number plastered all over it! I'd be hard pushed to convince them I wasn't me!

If they follow my hose they'll find a van with a number plate, and my business name, website address and phone number plastered all over it! I'd be hard pushed to convince them I wasn't me!

But that doesn't mean to say youre Beccy?
You could be one of Beccy's workers?
It's up to them to prove who you are.
And you've not broken any laws, so can't see how they can force it out of you?
[emoji4]

But how do they know who you are Beccy, unless you voluntarily gave them your name? I think we have the right to not tell anyone,and that includes police our names,unless we've committed a criminal offence.
emoji848.png

I agree you shouldn't have to give your details to anyone even the police but if they see you with a squeegee or wfp and no licence as part of the t&c's of the licence is to display it . Then gives the police reasonable suspicion you are committing an offence under   Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. and you would have to give your details 

I total agree with the concept of a licence just not the price difference and the enforcement issues

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a big difference between an act and a law,from a legal point of view.
If it's a civil matter between you and the council,then the police can't enforce it.
Loads of police have been sued for wrongfully assisting councils/bailiffs,so they're a bit cautious now,especially if you have your phone out and are recording everything.

I agree with the concept of the licence too,and I'm playing devil's advocate here a bit,as I'm interested in what powers councils have.
I totally agree that the pricing of licences is nuts!

yeah loads of videos of police on youtube but what they don't show is most but not all end up giving there details and been reported for the offence as that's all the police can do is report you to the prosecutors fiscal then its up to them if they take it further. seens to be a very fine line between acts and laws. An Act of Parliament creates a new law or changes an existing law. An Act is a Bill that has been approved by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords and been given Royal Assent by the Monarch. Taken together, Acts of Parliament make up what is known as Statute Law in the UK. Acts are weird tho as the police can't enforce the communications act for the tv licence but as for the  Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 they must be able to enforce it as it covers taxi licences premises licences and they can enforce them i think it just comes down to which ones they wont to enforce and what the an get away with

Well to have to have a t.v licence in the first place is insanity in my mind. Gun licence yes,driving licence yes,I can see the point of those,but a t.v licence. .. Err no!
On that point,if a t.v man comes knocking on the door,and asks if you have a t.v you can politely tell him to do one. You can refuse to give your name,and as long as you don't allow him in,there's nothing he can do. If he returns,you can then write and remove implied rights off access.
Id be interested to see what the council did if you refused to play ball with them,and give them your details.
Id like to know how they can enforce that?

nothing they could do take the reg of your vehicle or ask customers for info where your working would be good to find out if anyone has ever even been reported for cleaning windows without a licence let alone fined

My bottom rung broke off 3 days ago, im absolutely gutted and kinda lost faith in them so I need to splash out on new ladders

I wouldn't mess with any Act. The other windy cleaner that does my bit doesn't have license and the police jarred him. I got one from Renfrewshire and it was £60 a year plus £60 for insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if they could impound you're van. £120 a year is beer money to give you a good night's sleep. That other cleaner is losing all his customers, when he reappeared with WFP and still no license.

yeah apparently in the eyes of a court theirs no difference between acts and law .Do you know what happend to the windy the police caught am guessing not much if he was back with a WFP
To parly is French for, to talk. That's where the word parliament comes from. The reason they pass a bill first is because they need to know the size of the bill (in money) parliament will receive each year. Then it moves on to an act. (make an act, make a lawyer plenty money so the saying goes) The reason its called an act is because the law will act if you go or even try to go against the act, try and fight against it and see what happens? the windy cleaner who got pulled up with the police, was told in no uncertain terms to get a licence or they will charge him with perverting the course of justice or perverting the windy cleaner act as I call it. cheers m

Back