Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Softwashing painted render

WCF

Help Support WCF:

LiamChecks

Hey guys,

I’ve just started softwashing a property that has had a lot of algae and black mould buildup, the owner painted it about 11 months ago and it still looks good however you can start to see the old staining coming through.

I mixed at a 3% hypo mix (with sufactant) and went ahead, after two applications and plenty dwell time, it looks exactly the same. Is this because the paint is stopping the hypo from getting to the algae, and what’s the best solution here?

Lastly, bit odd I know, but how do you wash your clothes after soft washing!? I’m sticking mine in the washing machine with some detergent but the amount of bubbles and froth is insane!! ?

Thanks,
Liam

What exactly do you mean by a 3% mix? But yes I would think the paint is doing its job and waterproofing it.
I don't know how effective they'd be but you could try biocides that claim to be designed to be absorbed and kill below the surface e.g. Lightning / Bio Cleanze.
This isn't exactly the same thing but it might work....or a stronger hypo mix? That would be my first choice because hypo still seems to work in a similar way as far as residual effect goes, i.e. keeping surfaces cleaner for longer by killing all the spores above and below - but of course that's just an opinion and not exactly scientific

What exactly do you mean by a 3% mix? But yes I would think the paint is doing its job and waterproofing it.
I don't know how effective they'd be but you could try biocides that claim to be designed to be absorbed and kill below the surface e.g. Lightning / Bio Cleanze.
This isn't exactly the same thing but it might work....or a stronger hypo mix? That would be my first choice because hypo still seems to work in a similar way as far as residual effect goes, i.e. keeping surfaces cleaner for longer by killing all the spores above and below - but of course that's just an opinion and not exactly scientific
Thanks for your reply mate. I mean diluted from 15% hypo to 3% diluted. Fairly strong for render so was surprised - perhaps I’ll try some bio cleanze see if that works. Am I right in thinking the dilution rates for biocides like that are more like 40:1 instead of hypo’s 5:1’s etc?

Thank you mate

If the algae is growing through the paint it needs the paint removing otherwise you are fighting a loosing battle it needs removing with a doff or thermo tech washer , it’s a slow and expensive process and getting all the paint up after is a pain , sometimes it’s better to walk away. We turned down a large hotel softwash job for this very reason

Thanks for your reply mate. I mean diluted from 15% hypo to 3% diluted. Fairly strong for render so was surprised - perhaps I’ll try some bio cleanze see if that works. Am I right in thinking the dilution rates for biocides like that are more like 40:1 instead of hypo’s 5:1’s etc?

Thank you mate
Yes 40 to 1 or even 50 to 1 this time of year they say (Bio Cleanze that is).
Don't know about other biocides dilution rates. I don't use it very often but when I do I tend to go with a stronger mix than that.
This is a fairly new biocide product that I haven't tried yet but intend to next time I need a bio. By liquipak who I've bought other stuff from and they're pretty good and value for money - lot cheaper than other brands at £31 / 5 litres.

Yes 40 to 1 or even 50 to 1 this time of year they say (Bio Cleanze that is).
Don't know about other biocides dilution rates. I don't use it very often but when I do I tend to go with a stronger mix than that.
This is a fairly new biocide product that I haven't tried yet but intend to next time I need a bio. By liquipak who I've bought other stuff from and they're pretty good and value for money - lot cheaper than other brands at £31 / 5 litres.
Smart Seal products are a bit more pricey and have more reviews, I used the Xtreme patio cleaner the other week on my own block paving and it did the job as expected.

Smart Seal products are a bit more pricey and have more reviews, I used the Xtreme patio cleaner the other week on my own block paving and it did the job as expected.
As long as you were happy with the results that is the main thing, but all these types of products are still hypo based. They're just over priced, own brand money spinners using sodium hypochlorite so I'd rather mix my own for a fraction of the cost and be able to control the dilution rate as necessary..

As long as you were happy with the results that is the main thing, but all these types of products are still hypo based. They're just over priced, own brand money spinners using sodium hypochlorite so I'd rather mix my own for a fraction of the cost and be able to control the dilution rate as necessary..
Montys miracle cleaner. My mate said this is great. I emailed them and they told me sodium hypochlorite is in it so as you say. Nothing else will remove lichen so it needs to be in there.

Talking to a legal guy tonight and he was saying his friend is looking at a £35k drone to clean external buildings. All you do is program it and away it goes with the hose and sprays away. I said the moment someone opens a window and gets sprayed with softwash and maybe loses an eye then you are finished. Unless one has been at a chemical incident with the fire service then you don't realise the professional people involved. H&S, SEPA, Technical Advisor, Scottish Water, Police, Fire, Ambulance, Ambulance Technical Team, Council and all the rest. I would rather use a cherry picker and a sprayer, it will be a lot slower but you can still get someone opening a window and sticking head out and looking up to see what you are doing and then it drips on their face. I think there is easier ways to make money but all to their own.

Montys miracle cleaner. My mate said this is great. I emailed them and they told me sodium hypochlorite is in it so as you say. Nothing else will remove lichen so it needs to be in there.
Don't mean to be petty but chems like BAC50 and DDAC will get rid of lichen but nothing does it as quickly and effectively as hypo. You know what you're getting with hypo

If you paint over it and it’s algae it will grow through the paint causing even more problems that’s a simple job to remove it .
Thanks Pjj. Your recommendation here then is to DOFF off the layer of paint, treat the building, then paint? I won’t take this job but just for future reference, if someone paints over stained render, you tend to stay clear from treating? Unless perhaps it’s very porous material?

Thanks Pjj. Your recommendation here then is to DOFF off the layer of paint, treat the building, then paint? I won’t take this job but just for future reference, if someone paints over stained render, you tend to stay clear from treating? Unless perhaps it’s very porous material?
It needs all the paint removing back ti bare concrete to do the job properly if you paint over the algae it feeds on the paint and will grow through it again and the problem keeps in occurring , we walk away from a high number of jobs due to this fact .

Latest Posts

Back