Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Split charge relay kit

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

A friend of mine has gave me a leisure battery so now i just need a split charge relay to get it all working. Rather than getting someone else to do it, does anyone know if the kits on ebay are any good?

I'm not any good with anything electric but after watching a few youtube video's it doesnt seem that difficult?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you checked the leisure battery is ok. If it’s been stood a while it may not be.
If you put split charge relay in the search box you probably will find the correct information.
Most use the Durite make.
Just a few help points. My van has a split charge relay fitted but I do not do enough miles for it to be much use to be honest. My work is extremely compact. So it has no time to kick in. You do need to do some miles for it to work.
So although it’s fitted I manually charge my battery. Have a read on the topic, then decide.

Have you checked the leisure battery is ok. If it’s been stood a while it may not be.
If you put split charge relay in the search box you probably will find the correct information.
Most use the Durite make.
Just a few help points. My van has a split charge relay fitted but I do not do enough miles for it to be much use to be honest. My work is extremely compact. So it has no time to kick in. You do need to do some miles for it to work.
So although it’s fitted I manually charge my battery. Have a read on the topic, then decide.
How long your fully charged battery last usually?

How long your fully charged battery last usually?
That will depend on a lot of things , what’s being used from it ,how long for ,the age of the battery , the amp hour size of the battery , state of charge , temperature etc . You shouldn’t discharge a lead acid battery lower than 50% of its capacity .

That will depend on a lot of things , what’s being used from it ,how long for ,the age of the battery , the amp hour size of the battery , state of charge , temperature etc . You shouldn’t discharge a lead acid battery lower than 50% of its capacity .
I'm just starting up so it's really not going to be getting used much to begin with. Do you think I'll be better off just using a smart charger to begin with and taking it in the house on a night rather than fitting a split charge relay?

Also only going to be used for the pump for the water tank/pole

I'm just starting up so it's really not going to be getting used much to begin with. Do you think I'll be better off just using a smart charger to begin with and taking it in the house on a night rather than fitting a split charge relay?

ime no electrician @spruce would be in a much better position to answer this , but would need to know the type and amp hour capacity of the battery .

after reading about leisure battery's its probably best to buy new rather than using the one that was given to me (its been sat for a few years)
Most likely ill buy a

Lion Leisure Battery 100Ah Low Box​

A friend of mine has gave me a leisure battery so now i just need a split charge relay to get it all working. Rather than getting someone else to do it, does anyone know if the kits on ebay are any good?

I'm not any good with anything electric but after watching a few youtube video's it doesnt seem that difficult?
Ideally get one with a Durite relay as they other ones might be iffy quality. Make sure that every time the cable passes through metal you use a grommet to protect the cable from getting cut.
It also depends on the vehicle, if it has a smart alternator then a basic split charge relay won't work.
They are not great at putting back charge into the battery as most of us only do a few miles, so not enough to recharge the battery.

Best to 'bench' charge each night if at all possible. Any bench charger should only put a maximum of 10% of the amps that is the Amp Hours of the battery, i.e. 100Ah battery should be bench charged at a max of 10 Amps.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ideally get one with a Durite relay as they other ones might be iffy quality. Make sure that every time the cable passes through metal you use a grommet to protect the cable from getting cut.
It also depends on the vehicle, if it has a smart alternator then a basic split charge relay won't work.
They are not great at putting back charge into the battery as most of us only do a few miles, so not enough to recharge the battery.

Best to 'bench' charge each night if at all possible. Any bench charger should only put a maximum of 10% of the amps that is the Amp Hours of the battery, i.e. 100Ah battery should be bench charged at a max of 10 Amps.

would this combination work together then?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I haven't had a good experience with lion starter batteries in my previous van. None of the local parts outlets sell them for the same reason. Plenty of failures and warranty refusal by lion.
Go onto the NCC verified battery register and look for a suitable lead acid leisure battery that has a good depth of discharge cycles to 50%. You will be surprised how many poor performing batteries are out there on sale.

would this combination work together then?

The charger is reasonable. I have a Numax 10 Amp Battery Charger-Probably the best rated car battery charger from Numax 12 volts 10 amp which seems to work well and might be a little cheaper.
As for battery - I would go for the Halfords Leisure Battery HLB750 | Halfords UK as it's only £1 more and the cycles are 225 as opposed to 80 on the one you linked to. It is slightly less capacity but it is heavier which to me suggests more lead so better battery.
Have a look at Eurocar parts for leisure batteries as usually they have decent deals with decent % off but you have to time it right.
There are better battery brands out there but if you just want to walk in somewhere to pick one up then your choices are limited.

Just so you know most battery companies see window cleaning as abuse of batteries so won't honour the warranty unless of course you don't tell them what you are using them for ;)

You should never allow a battery to drop below 12.0v when it's rested i.e. not under load. Allowing it to drop lower will reduce it's life.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The charger is reasonable. I have a Numax 10 Amp Battery Charger-Probably the best rated car battery charger from Numax 12 volts 10 amp which seems to work well and might be a little cheaper.
As for battery - I would go for the Halfords Leisure Battery HLB750 | Halfords UK as it's only £1 more and the cycles are 225 as opposed to 80 on the one you linked to. It is slightly less capacity but it is heavier which to me suggests more lead so better battery.
Have a look at Eurocar parts for leisure batteries as usually they have decent deals with decent % off but you have to time it right.
There are better battery brands out there but if you just want to walk in somewhere to pick one up then your choices are limited.

Just so you know most battery companies see window cleaning as abuse of batteries so won't honour the warranty unless of course you don't tell them what you are using them for ;)

You should never allow a battery to drop below 12.0v when it's rested i.e. not under load. Allowing it to drop lower will reduce it's life.
There is just so much misinformation out there regarding lead acid battery use and charging.

According to one source, a battery at 12.0v after being rested is low on charge, 12.5v is 50% charged and 12.7v and above is fully charged. My Victron battery monitor follows this same charge/discharge profile. It shows current drawn, battery voltage and percentage discharge.

Our diesel heaters using Webasto boilers will cut out at 10.4v under load. Spring controllers are also set at a cut-out at a similar voltage under load. Draining a battery below 10.4v under load drastically reduces its longevity if done frequently.

Do you need a split charge relay or battery to battery charger to begin with @ashley1337 . No, but once on your feet business wise, then I consider it a baby's dummy.
It's good to have when you need it. In 18 years of wfp cleaning, it's saved the day at least half a dozen times. But if I didn't have it, we would have made a plan, ie. go back to the job once the battery was sorted. On my son's first van which I transferred across to his current van, I fitted a change over switch, so if his leisure battery failed, he could switch over to the van's starter battery to finish off.

Back