Thoughts on this R O ???

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by baconlover1, Jan 29, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. baconlover1

baconlover1 Newcomer

has anyone brought one are these or is there a better one ??

Advertisement
  2. baconlover1

baconlover1 Newcomer

3. heyoh

heyoh Active Member

What I gathered (still gathering) from Spruce, a 4021 membrane with a sediment and carbon filter is what gives you the best value/price combo. I myself am planning on buying these:
    http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000002.pl?PRODREF=H20&NOLOGIN=1 - 2 of these for the prefilters (sediment and carbon)
    http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000002.pl?PRODREF=CSF20&NOLOGIN=1 - Sediment filter
    http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000002.pl?PRODREF=CCF20&NOLOGIN=1 - Carbon filter
    http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000002.pl?PRODREF=RH20&NOLOGIN=1 - Membrane housing
    http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/RO_system_spare_parts.html#aHF5_2d4021 - 4021 Membrane
    That's £367.
    You will need some extra bits to connect them, a little bit of DIY.

Although I would like Spruce or someone to confirm if that is all you need.

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I'm sure doug atkinson can also give advice and maybe a nice priced package too ;)

6. doug atkinson

doug atkinson Well-Known Member

I hope to have a video up by the end of the week showing you a bit more about RO Systems so will give you and idea what is best to buy. ;)

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Nice one doug... let us know when it's live ;)

8. baconlover1

baconlover1 Newcomer

Hi guys thanks for the reply and advice a video would be very helpful as you guys know what your talking about and as a newbie i seem to just confuse myself as there are so many options but just need a set up to get me a 1000 litres of water asap lol

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#9 spruce, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    As I have said we managed OK with a RoMan type 450GPD r/o for many years. There were the two of us, me with my 2 man 650 litre system and my son with his 500 litre system. We both used about 400 litres a day each and we processed water into a 1000litre IBC tank, drawing it off as and when needed. The r/o was and still is controlled with a float level switch and solenoid valve so when the tank was full it switched off.

In theory we could both fill up in the morning but it was better for me to fill up at night and son in the morning. He also doesn't work Tuesdays so that gave us a slight chance to replenish water stocks, especially in winter when water purification is much slower. He then started to use our backpack more as he found it easier with hose management which meant he was using less water, which helped.

It was when son in law joined us part time 2 and 1/2 years ago that we really began to struggle with water having to plan and ration it so we could all put in a good days work. After a year the membranes on the 450 GPD were losing the processing efficiency ( they were over 6 years old), so we opted to go for a 4040 which means that I wouldn't have to worry about water again especially if SIL wanted more work and we expanded a bit.

So if you are considering an R/o a 4021 is more than ample for a single operator and will readily keep up with 2 of you if you expanded. You will just need a little water fill up management. After all, on paper it (4021) will produce twice as much water as my 450 GPD r/o did. I like the choice between using an HF4 and HF5 membrane depending on our water pressure. We didn't have that choice with our previous r/o. (Using a HF5 membrane on our water pressure (50psi) a 4021 will probably process 3 times more water than our 450GPD one did.)

I did look at the 4021 but decided that if I needed to upgrade to a second 4021 housing and membrane (which produces the same amount of water as a 4040 does) then I would have the expense of 2 replacement membranes where I would only have 1 on the 4040. As the price of a 4021 membrane isn't much less than a 4040 membrane, I would see it to be quite expensive further down the line.

However, 16 months ago, upgrading to a 4040 was like a major step into the unknown. Do I buy a more expensive HF5 or will an HF4 work just as well? How long will these membranes last considering how much faster they are working? Would 10" prefilter housing be OK or would it be better to buy 20" prefilters from the onset? In the end I decided it was best to use the over engineering principal, so bought 20" prefilters and an HF5 membrane even although PureFreedom advised that at 40psi there would be no difference between membrane performance. I opted to not include a booster pump in the system but was prepared to add that if I had to.

The assembly went fine but it took ages to get the drips sorted out. I couldn't believe how much water this r/o was producing and even now can't get my head around it, especially without a booster pump.

I have just got a water meter on the system as I have always been concerned that we don't change our carbon block filter often enough. I'm using Gardiners fiberdyne c/b at the moment but am still using the sediment filters. The other issue I have is not knowing when water is being drawn. If SIL fills up at lunch time, the IBC tank will be full by the time I get back in the late afternoon.

I like the longevity of the EZ sediment/chlorine block filter of 350,000 litres. Again I realise that the sediment filter would get blocked up quite quickly and we wouldn't see the benefit of the long life the filter is capable of, so at the moment stick with the standard prefilters.

I'm happy with the decision to go with a 4040 for our little business. I have found that not having to worry about water is a major weight off my mind. We aren't on a water meter, but the way we have our 4040 setup, we run it at about 50/50 ( 55% waste to 45% pure.) This is a water saving as our previous r/o sent 3 litres of water to waste to produce 1 litre of pure. We can do this with a lower tap water tds, but with a higher tds of tap water you would need in increase the waste element of that ratio.

I look forward to Doug's input from a supplier's point of view as he a much greater knowledge base. What I know is limited to my experience. We have issues here that others may not experience, such as a lot of sediment in the water. But we don't have the issues some have with hard water as ours is around 115ppm.

There is one thing I would be very interested in is regard to the carbon block filter. In Africa we had to add chlorine to our swimming pool every evening as the sun removed it during the day. Does this mean that a filter element removed from service would be reusable after exposure to sunlight as the trapped chlorine would dissipate?

10. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

^^ love reading this fellas posts :)

Advertisement