Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tough year and end of last year

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I don’t ever do add ons. Haven’t cleaned a conservatory roof or fsg for years. I just do the same ole windows every month or 2 months. I have one job a year where I clear out the gutters at a care home. It’s part of the contract. Every November after the leaves have fell. Takes a day for £700. Even then I’d rather not have it. 

I don’t ever do add ons. Haven’t cleaned a conservatory roof or fsg for years. I just do the same ole windows every month or 2 months. I have one job a year where I clear out the gutters at a care home. It’s part of the contract. Every November after the leaves have fell. Takes a day for £700. Even then I’d rather not have it. 
Variety is the spice of life, so they say.

Once you ve got a lot of good paying regular window cleaning work the add ons lose their appeal when you ve been cleaning for years IMO.....its all to do with reaching a comfortable level of income week in/week out....hassle free.....

Even if i can make a bit more on the add ons I'd rather not do them because they are much harder work esp in the extreme heat we ve got at the moment!

I might be able to do windows day in day out if someone was helping me. Like I do the front and they do the back that's how the old windies used to do it. Saves alot of leg work especially with the backpacks now. The problem with add-ons is they seem to grow arms and legs. Did a roof clean over weekend and they added in the driveway, now I have to softwash the patio and a bit of indian sandstone and fix the leaking gutter and clear the downpipe. Turns out the rubber seal is missing from the running outlet which attaches to the gutter. Not a difficult job but still takes time when you have other jobs lined up. Now I'm pencilled in to stain the high soffits and fascia because the painter only does lower level but I'm buying a 2 grand tower scaffold which will come in very handy for roof cleans aswell. ?

I'm buying a 2 grand tower scaffold which will come in very handy for roof cleans aswell.
Blimey @scottish cleaning service you reinvest plenty of money in your work. Fair play to you.

I have a small round I’m trying to grow but hate gutter cleans really. Some customers want them emptied, which is important, but leaves sloppy muck over them sometimes so they need cleaning anyway. Other customers don’t seem to care if their gutters are full, they’re only interested in that they are clean on the outside.

Blimey @scottish cleaning service you reinvest plenty of money in your work. Fair play to you.

I have a small round I’m trying to grow but hate gutter cleans really. Some customers want them emptied, which is important, but leaves sloppy muck over them sometimes so they need cleaning anyway. Other customers don’t seem to care if their gutters are full, they’re only interested in that they are clean on the outside.
Probably the best investment I have done is advertising. Spent another grand this week advertising for a year on Checkatrade tradespeople leaflets that get posted through the doors by the post office. As I'm the only one doing roof cleans and pvc cleans I know I will be very busy from now on. Received a gutter clear last night which is 10 miles away and will do it off the ladder with my gutter pro tool and the bucket hooked onto a ladder limb. ?

I might be able to do windows day in day out if someone was helping me. Like I do the front and they do the back that's how the old windies used to do it. Saves alot of leg work especially with the backpacks now. The problem with add-ons is they seem to grow arms and legs. Did a roof clean over weekend and they added in the driveway, now I have to softwash the patio and a bit of indian sandstone and fix the leaking gutter and clear the downpipe. Turns out the rubber seal is missing from the running outlet which attaches to the gutter. Not a difficult job but still takes time when you have other jobs lined up. Now I'm pencilled in to stain the high soffits and fascia because the painter only does lower level but I'm buying a 2 grand tower scaffold which will come in very handy for roof cleans aswell. ?
Sounds like a nightmare to me....I'd hate doing all that other work.....but we re all different.....

You sound like a guy I'd like to know if you were local.....I'd be able to get you loads of work where I window clean.....?

Probably the best investment I have done is advertising. Spent another grand this week advertising for a year on Checkatrade tradespeople leaflets that get posted through the doors by the post office. As I'm the only one doing roof cleans and pvc cleans I know I will be very busy from now on. Received a gutter clear last night which is 10 miles away and will do it off the ladder with my gutter pro tool and the bucket hooked onto a ladder limb. ?
@scottish cleaning serviceFair play to you mate. I’m not at that stage/affordability yet but there is a local window cleaner to me who is on checkatrade. Loads of people questioned him about going on there as a window cleaner (rather than a plumber or builder etc) but he gets a lot of work from it and some quite big local contracts as the companies use it for finding all of their tradesmen when they need work doing. £1000 seems a lot on paper but it’s less than £20 a week overall for a year so if it gets you more work than that every week, and brings in a few new regular customers then well worth it.

Yes the old pro gutter tools are great. I bought the set a couple of years ago for about £30 I think, and paid for themselves multiple times over, and they make some jobs so much easier.

Yes the old pro gutter tools are great. I bought the set a couple of years ago for about £30 I think, and paid for themselves multiple times over, and they make some jobs so much easier.
I never understood why they never brought out a double sided one so you don't need to change over when in the middle of a gutter. I decided to make my own and stick it on a Purdy painting pole, everyone questions where I bought it from and I say B&Q, well I got the 18mm ply from there. ?

Sounds like a nightmare to me....I'd hate doing all that other work.....but we re all different.....

You sound like a guy I'd like to know if you were local.....I'd be able to get you loads of work where I window clean.....?
Aye, a broker in London wanted me to come down to Colchester and setup my business because they couldn't get reliable tradespeople. He said I would have made a mint as most folk commute to London. The reason I can do most things is because I have spent a fortune on courses. Best course I did for cleaning was Michael Conways Softwash course but I also have, 17th edition electrical, electrical smart meter course, Gas course, working at heights, and courses in the Fire Service, being a time served Joiner helps. Anyhow, my customer said I missed a window last week, see if you can spot it? She must think my name is Percy Thrower, not sure if its ivy or whisteria but I'm going to purchase a good pair of pruners for next clean. ?

Ivy.jpg

I never understood why they never brought out a double sided one so you don't need to change over when in the middle of a gutter. I decided to make my own and stick it on a Purdy painting pole, everyone questions where I bought it from and I say B&Q, well I got the 18mm ply from there. ?
How could anyone do this, that's like having a nut that tightens and loosens clockwise

And of course I presume you can live off your pension, so you can afford to invest in new gear from your business earnings, which will also cut your tax bill too.

And of course I presume you can live off your pension, so you can afford to invest in new gear from your business earnings, which will also cut your tax bill too.
Everything I make gets reinvested so under the tax threshold  last two years. This year will be different unless I buy a new van. I guess. Only thing left to buy is a 6.2m tower which I will be ordering next week unless a customer fails to pay me. Lost a customer today and not sure why but it means I don't have to move my van when I do all the rest next to him. I can see him coming back in the future but not sure if I would have it back. ? 

#Tench0771, How did your fishing trip go on the Bristol Channel a few weeks back? Did you have a good time? Hope you're feeling a lot better and that you found your way up out of the downer you were going through. ⚓?

Everything I make gets reinvested so under the tax threshold  last two years. This year will be different unless I buy a new van. I guess. Only thing left to buy is a 6.2m tower which I will be ordering next week unless a customer fails to pay me. Lost a customer today and not sure why but it means I don't have to move my van when I do all the rest next to him. I can see him coming back in the future but not sure if I would have it back. ? 
Nice choice to make.

Nice choice to make.
I would say it's nice, but the issue is he could be liable for a tax investigation spending up to 2-3k plus and beyond on certain things without the client base/work to warrant that investment, GrippaTank system 4-5k and multiple poles with around 100 window cleaning jobs,  2k scaff tower for one job having previously bought and sold one spending 2k on a woodchipper but only cut down a neighbours small tree in HMRC eyes this could be seen as tax avoidance 

Farmers are well known for blowing loads on new machines and not paying much tax but farmers do need what they need and tractors crop sprayers and so on are 20-30k second hand and way beyond but it's warranted investment 

Back