Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Toughest GFS yet !

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DeLaCruz

This one is a GFS clean on a beach cafe, honestly it’s the toughest one I have come across in last 4 years. I have used a virosol mix on it, and a weak hypo but after an hours scrubbing it’s still has unmovable black spots on it. Due to it being difficult access I am unable to scrub as hard further back so decided to try and find a cleaning agent that would break down the staining.

I am tempted to try the ionics contact foam and just spray a fairly concentrated mix on using backpack and spray nozzle. Anyone used this stuff on really stubborn staining ?

If not does anyone know of any other products that would be able to break down the most toughest stains ? Feels like the sun may have baked it on hence the difficulty of removing it - not sure. 

picture shows results after an hours cleaning ?CE6A6748-9EC0-42E0-9E35-60D129D7F1A4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is a GFS clean on a beach cafe, honestly it’s the toughest one I have come across in last 4 years. I have used a virosol mix on it, and a weak hypo but after an hours scrubbing it’s still has unmovable black spots on it. Due to it being difficult access I am unable to scrub as hard further back so decided to try and find a cleaning agent that would break down the staining.

I am tempted to try the ionics contact foam and just spray a fairly concentrated mix on using backpack and spray nozzle. Anyone used this stuff on really stubborn staining ?

If not does anyone know of any other products that would be able to break down the most toughest stains ? Feels like the sun may have baked it on hence the difficulty of removing it - not sure. 

picture shows results after an hours cleaning ?View attachment 26298
I see you're in Cornwall. Pass it on to pjj?

i am going to stick my neck out here but, from what i can see and its not the best photo and from what you've used to clean it with so far @DeLaCruzi would suggest nipping down to morrisons or tesco's and buy a couple of bottles of bleach i prefer the morrisons berry blast at 39p a bottle, add that to a backpack full of tap water and see where you go, i really would suggest you do that, spray first then agitate with the brush and leave for a few mins then brush again with the flow on low and see where you are with it, it looks like organic growth and neither virosol and hypo will touch it as it will have a fatty protective layer on the surface

try the bleach mate it should work if i am correct with what i see in the photo.

i am going to stick my neck out here but, from what i can see and its not the best photo and from what you've used to clean it with so far @DeLaCruzi would suggest nipping down to morrisons or tesco's and buy a couple of bottles of bleach i prefer the morrisons berry blast at 39p a bottle, add that to a backpack full of tap water and see where you go, i really would suggest you do that, spray first then agitate with the brush and leave for a few mins then brush again with the flow on low and see where you are with it, it looks like organic growth and neither virosol and hypo will touch it as it will have a fatty protective layer on the surface

try the bleach mate it should work if i am correct with what i see in the photo.
Nice one Kevin much appreciated mate 

If it's beach side the salt air and weathering in my opinion can etch UPVC 

It's not the toughest of substrates and can melt with the incorrect choice of chemical 

Have you tried isopropyl glazing wipes held onto a DA applicator or unger cloth holder 

I would say if hypo can't clean it nothing will clean it.
Hypo won't touch it as @kevinc250said..it looks organic so the hydroxide that is added in bleach will take the fatty protective layer off exposing the organic growth underneath for the bleach/hypo to work on.

That is why I always have cheap bleach in the van for stubborn jobs like this.

Hypo won't touch it as @kevinc250said..it looks organic so the hydroxide that is added in bleach will take the fatty protective layer off exposing the organic growth underneath for the bleach/hypo to work on.

That is why I always have cheap bleach in the van for stubborn jobs like this.
I think this is ware some get confused they don’t realise the difference in how hypo and cheap bleaches work and what they contain, I didn’t understand it until someone went through it with me . 

tbh, i use the shop bought bleach now on every facia clean or conservatory clean, its just so easier to use does what i need it to do and its so easy to obtain i've stopped using tfr now unless its for driveways.

on the odd occasion when i have to use farm yard hypo i'll add three 750ml bottles to the hypo this replaces the scent mask and surfactant you would normally need to add and due to the hydroxide added its pretty good on wood decking or fences .

its also very good on really dirty first cleans or the ones that are green and covered in spider poo, just rember to mix it well as it comes in a gel form so may need stirring or shaking to make it mix with the water (tap water is better).

if your vans a white one try this added to a bucket of warm tap water before you clean it.

just a few uses for the cheap shop bought bleach.

tbh, i use the shop bought bleach now on every facia clean or conservatory clean, its just so easier to use does what i need it to do and its so easy to obtain i've stopped using tfr now unless its for driveways.

on the odd occasion when i have to use farm yard hypo i'll add three 750ml bottles to the hypo this replaces the scent mask and surfactant you would normally need to add and due to the hydroxide added its pretty good on wood decking or fences .

its also very good on really dirty first cleans or the ones that are green and covered in spider poo, just rember to mix it well as it comes in a gel form so may need stirring or shaking to make it mix with the water (tap water is better).

if your vans a white one try this added to a bucket of warm tap water before you clean it.

You are talking about the thick toilet bleach arnt you ??? Would the normal thin bleach in the same isle in the supermarket do the same thing ??? Or is that different?? 

I think this is ware some get confused they don’t realise the difference in how hypo and cheap bleaches work and what they contain, I didn’t understand it until someone went through it with me . 
Don't hold back there, feel free to share the secret sauce. ?

You are talking about the thick toilet bleach arnt you ??? Would the normal thin bleach in the same isle in the supermarket do the same thing ??? Or is that different?? 
the normal one will work just as well paul, i just find the gel type although, watered down sticks a bit better to the surface,

put it another way, the thin bleach if you popped in your toilet, most of it would go down the pan-literally whereas, the gel type would cling to the bowl allowing contact time, enough to sort out saturday nights curry out?, crude i know but the hydroxide dissolves dirt and fat the bleach well, just lightens the stains if any are present.

use the thin bleach on horizontal surfaces and it'll be fine but the gel type on anything vertical just to help things along.

to use farm yard hypo i'll add three 750ml bottles to the hypo this replaces the scent mask and surfactant you would normally need to add and due to the hydroxide added its pretty good on wood decking or fences
When your doing an old tanalised wood clean do you use anything before applying this or is it just a case of spray, light scrub and rinse it ? (attached a quick clip of the job)

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2022-01-24 at 09.25.35 (2).mp4

i can see from the clip that its above the sand? and i guess the tide is out, it looks like  a cafe? i could be wrong though, anyway it is covered in alghi but also dirt from people sitting and walking all over the surface so, taking all that into account hypo is not really and option as it would brighten the wood possibly damaging the lignin in the process however, benz lightning cleanze [i know i know its my go to] would work well but try two bottles of the shop bought bleach in a backpack mix well to distribute it in the water, 

a light scrub with a brush and leave for a quarter of an hour and rinse off.

see where you are after that and if it needs more- it needs more, this way takes longer but is safer for you and with wood its always better to apply lower doses and strip layer after layer of dirt off that going in guns a blazing and having wood that goes white from the hypo.

hope this helps, 

Please can I ask a bit of a newbie question here.... When using bleach like this, how are you applying it to the gutters fascias and soffits?

And are you just rinsing it off with pure water afterwards, or the customer's tap supply?

And what do you do with the bleachy runoff water, just rinse it all down the building as far as possible?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere already! Can anyone point me in the right direction with this please?

Hold on? You add store bleach to hypo? Surprised you haven’t had the backlash everyone else gets on here when they try adding anything to hypo. 

We use farm yard hypo but are always adding the expensive surfactant and scent mask to it in order to get the best performance. It seems as though you’re indicating that they do the same job? 

Also very intrigued with the idea of using thick bleach in a backpack of water for all first cleans and gsf cleans. I’d be concerned about it leaving clean streaks on render and patios etc. Do you ever have this problem? 

Hold on? You add store bleach to hypo? Surprised you haven’t had the backlash everyone else gets on here when they try adding anything to hypo. 

We use farm yard hypo but are always adding the expensive surfactant and scent mask to it in order to get the best performance. It seems as though you’re indicating that they do the same job? 

Also very intrigued with the idea of using thick bleach in a backpack of water for all first cleans and gsf cleans. I’d be concerned about it leaving clean streaks on render and patios etc. Do you ever have this problem? 
Shop bleach and hypo are basically   same thing but sure @kevinc250will correct me if Ime wrong , shop bleach has a bit of sodium hydroxide in it that normal hypo doesn’t have . We use the thick toilet bleach neat on sandstone windowsills as it clings and won’t run off , I personally wouldn’t want to put it in a back pack as think it would gumm up the pump as it’s almost gel  like , we use the thin shop bleach ,to add to normal hypo .

We use hypo mixes on plastic cleans , windows , etc if you are careful it won’t clean the surrounding areas and on this type of thing it only needs a weak mix and when washed off won’t be that noticeable on walls etc , this also gives you the opportunity it offer a full softwashing clean we get a lot like this .   

If you are concerned about  leaving clean streaks then just wet the area down before applying the hypo mix that will stop it Cleaning the area . 

Please can I ask a bit of a newbie question here.... When using bleach like this, how are you applying it to the gutters fascias and soffits?

And are you just rinsing it off with pure water afterwards, or the customer's tap supply?

And what do you do with the bleachy runoff water, just rinse it all down the building as far as possible?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere already! Can anyone point me in the right direction with this please?
Back pack or trolly either sprayed on or applied through a WFP brush 

A mix of 1x750ml bottle of bleach which is an average of 4.6-4.8% available chlorine (percentage of hypo) in a 25l barrel of water won't bleach any walls etc when doing a first clean although it brings the frames etc up spotless.

I usually use a spray bottle and work on 1 inch of bleach and the rest water and works with any size bottle.

Back