Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The true cost of pure water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Grumpaflump

Has anyone actually worked a true price of purifying water?

And is worth considering bought in water over purifying your own water.....?

Has anyone actually worked a true price of purifying water?
And is worth considering bought in water over purifying your own water.....?
Have you done the maths?

Is it cheaper to cook your own meals at home or eat out in a restaurant every night?

not necessarily cheaper to eat at home....my mate who is single eats out every night as it is cheaper....buying getting back on track....I know of two places offering various deals....the best one is unlimited water for £50 per month...I have never made my own water do I was just wondering it's it cheaper to make your own after paying the water company and the sewage costs plus any loss of water due to over spoil from filtration......

I'm on a water meter @ £2.92 per 1000 litres which gives me 400 litres pure.

Still worth making it.....having said that I can't find anyone who sells it anyway.

It's not a lot. maybe 2 sacks of resin and a few filters a year so 160 or so a year.

It works out about 80p per 500 ltres or £3 quid odd a week

Plus water rates but i would pay that anyway so can't really count it.

Happy to supply you for 1p a litre

not necessarily cheaper to eat at home....my mate who is single eats out every night as it is cheaper....buying getting back on track....I know of two places offering various deals....the best one is unlimited water for £50 per month...I have never made my own water do I was just wondering it's it cheaper to make your own after paying the water company and the sewage costs plus any loss of water due to over spoil from filtration......
But surely who ever is supplying water will have the same expenses to consider as you have and he won't be selling water at cost. It will save you the hassle of buying and maintaining the r/o which the seller will account for cost wise.

That's why I asked if you had done the maths. In other words, have you done an itemised breakdown of all the costs to run an r/o and then compared it to the seller's price per liter.

I'm not on a water meter so its an easy calculation as a local water supplier is. So our water would cost us about £15.00 a day which is much more than it costs me to produce it. But I haven't done a step by step calculation tbh.

I know its probably not the best type of business attitude to have but when it comes to pure all i know is I pay the guy I buy it from £14 for 650L Inc VAT and I make a shed load more money cleaning with it so happy days /emoticons/smile.png i have no idea id it would be cheaper I invest in sstem for myself. Maybe...but I pull up top up with pure and off I go no worries which seems good to me

I know its probably not the best type of business attitude to have but when it comes to pure all i know is I pay the guy I buy it from £14 for 650L Inc VAT and I make a shed load more money cleaning with it so happy days /emoticons/smile.png i have no idea id it would be cheaper I invest in sstem for myself. Maybe...but I pull up top up with pure and off I go no worries which seems good to me
No worries at all until your supplier goes bust.

My pure is less than quid a day which means I have a £13 head start on you Everday. more when you factor in your fuel costs to get there.

Imo s business should be looking to reduce there overheads as much as possible to maximise profit. in our game it's mainly pure and fuel.

And in my books that's fine ........... There are quite a number of cleaners on here who have all sorts of problems with their r/o's, some probably self inflicted . So having someone else take that hassle away can allow that cleaner to focus on cleaning windows.

We have never had an issue with the quality of the end result of pure we produced. Over the years we did have issues where we didn't have enough water and trying to share it around so we all had just enough became a time consuming 'worry'. It started to eak at my limited energy resources. Not having enough water to do a day's work is very frustrating.

Once the decision of upgrading the r/o was made, I couldn't believe what a relief it was having plenty of water. So I understand why someone would want to out source water for piece of mind sake.

I'm not convinced that outsourced water is cheaper than producing it yourself. If it was then more would do it. However, the peace of mind knowing you go top up on demand is worth the extra cost to some.

There was a recent post on here where a cleaner, @adwindowcleaning has running two vans 4/5 men using 1500 - 1700 ltr daily having to drive half each way to refill everyday ! total waste of time and money.

static systems

I doubt he would agree that continuing to buy water in was worth it. He didn't mention how much he was paying a liter but the rely probably gives us some idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a 100 gpd RO. and using an average of 2000 litres a week it just about covers me.

Very very rarely have I come across a situation where I've not had enough pure to hand.

But I get around this very simply by having 2 d.I s ready to go. if i ever am short then it doesn't take long to top up straight from the tap. my tds isn't too bad though it varys between 100-200

If it ever becomes a problem then I can upgrade R.O or get storage tanks to store it and produce all weekend.

No worries at all until your supplier goes bust.
My pure is less than quid a day which means I have a £13 head start on you Everday. more when you factor in your fuel costs to get there.

Imo s business should be looking to reduce there overheads as much as possible to maximise profit. in our game it's mainly pure and fuel.
What you say is of course valid as its your way of doing it. But thats my way. The place i use is a huge cleaning warehouse its no worries for me the company going bust as there are also a few window cleaners locally who supply to others so could switch to them. It costs me nothing in fuel as I drive past it everyday anyway. Yes you have an advantage if you make your water that cheap on face of it but equally i had no set up costs to buy a system never need filters resin etc which you do.. As spruce says no worries about system breaking not working or spare parts etc.

Yes of coursethe less overheads the better but I am more than happy what i make a day on the glass a day not to mention all the add ons. Can't imagine many jobs I could earn this hourly wage after all expenses taken out so for me I can't be bothered with the hassle.

AdamanglerHow are you making 2000 litres of pure A WEEK with only a 100gpd RO.
Ro figures are quoted in US gallons

100gpd x 3.785 for US gallons = 378.5 litres per day

378.5 litres x 7 days is 2,649.5 litres per week

Ro's never work to optimum efficiency but still possible to make 2000l per week

AdamanglerHow are you making 2000 litres of pure A WEEK with only a 100gpd RO.
Well its only approx, i use roughly 400 a day, maybe somedays less some more.

I put it on fill when ive finished everyday about 3:30 and turn it off the next morning about 8am

so its on for about 17 hours a day 5 days a week

thats without a booster pump then Adam, the trouble id have is mines in the kitchen , waterfeed from under kitchen sink via washing machine hose , then to hosepipe into RO. IF A LEAK HAPPENED FOR ANY DAFT REASON ID BE MURDERED BY MRS.

iLL HAVE TO ASK A PLUMBER IF ITS POSSIBLE TO GET A OUTSIDE FEED FITTED TO THE REAR OF THE HOUSE. as ive stated all water feeds are built towards the front of the house, with kitchen / wc etc

Back