Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water freezing on the glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Got up to +3 today but it still froze on house windows in the shade after 12pm just outside the city of durham so only got 2 houses done all day bit gutted as i expected to get a decent amount of work today.

Half day tomorrow as off to Leeds to see Pete Tong and a half day on wednesday to recover I might just get all caught up next week its swings and roundabouts in this game.

It's my first wfp van mount winter and expected these temperatures in February, anyway it was -4 in Lancs last night, so I put my mini radiator in ( it's been on most the weekend actually) anyway had a little bit of ice in the external fill port but it cleared yesterday to fill my van up.
I arrived at work at 9 .00 am and the first 4 houses, although the system was running fine it was freezing on certain windows, so went for a coffee. And tradded a few bungalow's which seem to tolerate the temperature a little better than wfp.
By this time the sun was out, so i positioned the back doors to the sun and everything was a lot more manageable. After this I worked until 3.30pm, by then the temperature was dropping like a stone, I did go back and do the icy windows as I wasn't sure if it would be an acceptable finish,
I did leave the odd window above doors to avoid slippy thresholds etc., and called at Wickes and picked up a couple of bags of grit.
Anyway tomorrow I'm working inside care home and by lunchtime I'll hit the houses.
It's been a baptism of fire the past few days, oh, and when I got home tonight my garden tap had frozen so had to pour some warm water over it and fill the van.
I always try and get some work done , (within reason) because the following day could be worse.[emoji300][emoji301][emoji300]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I dont go out when its below 2 degrees If someone slips and breaks an arm or leg it will cost you an arm and a leg in compo.Its not worth risking it even slipping  yourself and doing your back in or whatever could put you out of work for ages.Even if nobody slips when you are there if you leave water and it freezes if they find out you where there they could claim.

Same here in north yorkshire .really bad day for wfp i usualy work in all conditions however i never really got going today got 8 houses done then had to throw in the towel and call it a day .water freezing on windows hose freezing up and arrived at my first job thismorning and realised pump ect was frozen as i forgot to put my radiator in the van lastnight. Silly question but how do you run your pump dry to prevent overnight freezing..

Just pull inlet hose of pump and run it for a few minutes, make sure you have your pole connect to the hose reel and your univalve or tap or whatever you use is open so you can run the lot dry.

Depends how your system is set up, my inlet hose to pump is simply dropped into the top of the tank so all i do is pull the hose out of tank then run it all dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used isopropyl in tank for first time today got about 5 hours done till it started freezing up again just before 4

I dont go out when its below 2 degrees If someone slips and breaks an arm or leg it will cost you an arm and a leg in compo.Its not worth risking it even slipping  yourself and doing your back in or whatever could put you out of work for ages.Even if nobody slips when you are there if you leave water and it freezes if they find out you where there they could claim.
So you don't need to pay bills in winter then??

Last edited by a moderator:
I always put away money when I am busy to cover holidays and times when I can not work this is costed into my pricing and the amount I have to clean.We also do grass cutting in the summer when the weathers good and work long hours so its not a problem when we cant go cleaning.

Horses for courses mate

I clean all year round

Not had more than 2 days off in the last 12 months due to weather

I enjoyed it once i got going today

Snow everywhere 

Army boots and thermal socks

Got my hair cut before i started and then realised i had left gloves and beanie at home

Still felt nice and warm

It's all about keeping your feet warm

reel & hose snug in my kitchen since sunday night,  thought about going out this morning,   NO,   weather changing for better b tuesday onwards,     i knew the water would freeze on the glass so i did not bother.

imagine you are a customer and get  windows done and you see all ice droplets on glass, you would think whats going on here,   they may be there all day.     out every day when able to,      i usually look at weather in middlesbrough,     then check out the 3 first sites, gives you a good idea of week ahead.

Trying to get every round done ASAP.   worse weather in jan & feb

Back