Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Hose?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jelliman

I'm in the process of switching from trad to wfp trolley system, I've bought 30m of 6mm id 11mm od hose but it seems a big rigid. Should I give it a go or return it for 5mm ? I want something that's light a flexible. Suggestions please.

I'm in the process of switching from trad to wfp trolley system, I've bought 30m of 6mm id 11mm od hose but it seems a big rigid. Should I give it a go or return it for 5mm ? I want something that's light a flexible. Suggestions please.
If this is for your Gardiner Backpack then they recommend a maximum of 20m plus the pole hose.
When I used my backpack I used 20m 5mm pole hose. (Yellow PVC Hose 5mm for pure water fed pole window cleaning - buy 15m + and it's only 30p a meter). It's quite good hose as it doesn't seem to have much 'coiling memory', it's not that robust.
Using pole hose as an extension will reduce your flow a little and it's not as robust as 6mm hose but it will work fine.

I would have just bought pole hose and not bothered with the main hose which is what we have on a reel, if you think it's rigid now wait until it gets cold it will be a P.I.A you can usually buy a 30m coil from Gardiners just fit that to your pole as one continuous length,

Having said that 30m of pole hose is quite a bit to manage and will tangle up as it does and the more you have the more of a chew it will be to manage on a daily basis 10-15m along with the recommended amount of pole hose for the size of your pole would be far more manageable

I would have just bought pole hose and not bothered with the main hose which is what we have on a reel, if you think it's rigid now wait until it gets cold it will be a P.I.A you can usually buy a 30m coil from Gardiners just fit that to your pole as one continuous length,

Having said that 30m of pole hose is quite a bit to manage and will tangle up as it does and the more you have the more of a chew it will be to manage on a daily basis 10-15m along with the recommended amount of pole hose for the size of your pole would be far more manageable
You're probably right I just need enough length as I have to sometimes go up over a garage roof and down the other side to get to the back of the house.

You're probably right I just need enough length as I have to sometimes go up over a garage roof and down the other side to get to the back of the house.
Personally, I'd completely sack those houses off, I had some of these on my rounds and they either got the fronts done or opted to go elsewhere they just take up to much time which you aren't getting paid for unless you've factored that extra time of lugging a ladder up over a garage and down the other side,

I have a telescopic ladder for some flat roof access but any new enquires which require flat roof access or the type you are on about get turned down.

Personally, I'd completely sack those houses off, I had some of these on my rounds and they either got the fronts done or opted to go elsewhere they just take up to much time which you aren't getting paid for unless you've factored that extra time of lugging a ladder up over a garage and down the other side,

I have a telescopic ladder for some flat roof access but any new enquires which require flat roof access or the type you are on about get turned

If your putting a ladder up then down the other side, wouldn't it make more sense to do the back of the house traditional ?.
That's what I was thinking.

To you, you're right if I'm going to have to go up and over a roof there's no point in taking my pole, I'll just do it traditionally.
I wouldn't be carrying trad gear and wfp this is just going to make more issues for you how can you carry a backpack, wfp, ladder and a bucket of water,
not forgetting that those customers who won't take to wfp because they won't want wet windows and will be asking you to squeegee them and why can't you just do them all trad they'll say, if your plan is to reduce the risk of falls moving forward then pishing around with a ladder and trad gear isn't going to help you,

local to me there is a father and son who sort of switched to wfp about 10 years ago they opted for trolley yet still went up a ladder because a lot of customers still wanted trad the customers dictated to them how it was going to be I think the dad has now retired and the son has a lad with him they mostly wfp the tops and trad the bottoms and as far as I'm aware still do some ladder work.

Going wfp should be all out it's your business and your health that is most important, you'll lose customers along the way because they won't care or respect the fact that you are making the switch so you don't risk falling anymore, better to take the bull by the horns and tell them how it's going to be and if they don't like bid them farewell

I wouldn't be carrying trad gear and wfp this is just going to make more issues for you how can you carry a backpack, wfp, ladder and a bucket of water,
not forgetting that those customers who won't take to wfp because they won't want wet windows and will be asking you to squeegee them and why can't you just do them all trad they'll say, if your plan is to reduce the risk of falls moving forward then pishing around with a ladder and trad gear isn't going to help you,

local to me there is a father and son who sort of switched to wfp about 10 years ago they opted for trolley yet still went up a ladder because a lot of customers still wanted trad the customers dictated to them how it was going to be I think the dad has now retired and the son has a lad with him they mostly wfp the tops and trad the bottoms and as far as I'm aware still do some ladder work.

Going wfp should be all out it's your business and your health that is most important, you'll lose customers along the way because they won't care or respect the fact that you are making the switch so you don't risk falling anymore, better to take the bull by the horns and tell them how it's going to be and if they don't like bid them farewell
absolutely right and at the end of the day the result is the same whether done trad or WFP: clean windows. In fact in the case of WFP, clean frames as well.

I do a sheltered housing and they have been fitted with new pvc windows that can also open in the way. A young customer said you won't need to come back because they can clean them from the inside. Then I got thinking, most are old and get me to clean the inside every 6 months so there's no chance they will be able to clean the outside even by opening them in the way. I will pay them a visit and see how it goes and now I'm thinking I may pick up a few more due to cleaning the frames and cills but should be interesting. ?

absolutely right and at the end of the day the result is the same whether done trad or WFP: clean windows. In fact in the case of WFP, clean frames as well.
I see what you're saying, I've been letting my customers know about the switch to wfp and so far so good. I only ever use a bucket on a hip when I'm trad cleaning so I don't carry buckets of water around with me. As I take on more customers I'll start to let the ones go which I need a ladder for.

I see what you're saying, I've been letting my customers know about the switch to wfp and so far so good. I only ever use a bucket on a hip when I'm trad cleaning so I don't carry buckets of water around with me. As I take on more customers I'll start to let the ones go which I need a ladder for.
Just do what I did and give them the ultimatum. WFP or get someone else to clean your windows, I never lost any or one when she stopped breathing.

Hi iron giant i just got a Slx 30 pole 30 foot of hose i would need to fully extended if I want too is that right so would I get 40 feet of hose just too give me extra bit to fit to my backpack an then use a aluminium pink to plug in .

Hi iron giant i just got a Slx 30 pole 30 foot of hose i would need to fully extended if I want too is that right so would I get 40 feet of hose just too give me extra bit to fit to my backpack an then use a aluminium pink to plug in .
An one more question sorry where does it fit when its at the pole shorter I need to fit one you see how do I do it just feed it down the pole yes many thanks chum

Latest Posts

Back