Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who's taking the second SEISS grant?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I saw my accountant today and asked him if I should claim the grant as I weren’t sure if I should as I’m only down £165 per month plus quite a few shops during the latest lockdown. He said if I’m not sure about claiming then don’t claim. The revenue will be checking claimants thoroughly...... eventually 
If you have a doubt why not claim it, as long as you can prove you're losing some money then all they can do is ask for it back. They will have to clarify significant because as far as I'm concerned £20 is significant. One thing for certain if you don't and ? happens they'll not let you back date it. 

If you have a doubt why not claim it, as long as you can prove you're losing some money then all they can do is ask for it back. They will have to clarify significant because as far as I'm concerned £20 is significant. One thing for certain if you don't and ? happens they'll not let you back date it. 
I can prove I’m £30 a month down for sure as it’s an office that I clean monthly   It used to be £86 a month inside and out. They stopped having the insides cleaned in March so I reduced their bill by £30. They pay in the bank. The others that I’m down by pay cash. I gained a £320 a month in April so my takings are actually up but I’m still £165 down on what I would be if it weren’t for corona. I wouldn’t say I need it as I’m up but I am eligible. Battling with my conscience ?

I can prove I’m £30 a month down for sure as it’s an office that I clean monthly   It used to be £86 a month inside and out. They stopped having the insides cleaned in March so I reduced their bill by £30. They pay in the bank. The others that I’m down by pay cash. I gained a £320 a month in April so my takings are actually up but I’m still £165 down on what I would be if it weren’t for corona. I wouldn’t say I need it as I’m up but I am eligible. Battling with my conscience ?
I would never tell anyone what to do, all I look at is what is the risk and as far as I can see they will ask for it back. If you're taking the mick and can't prove you've lost money then there might be worse consequences.

If you do claim, and I'm wrong I'll come visit you ?

All I would say is this 3rd grant has changed from a period point of view as well. So gov have said only claim if you feel you will have made a significant loss over the whole tax year, not just the period Nov to Jan. You have to decide what a significant loss is, but it has to be over the whole year. So if your year end accounts are down on last year, claim it. If they aren't don't.
Is it for the whole tax year though?  Then do you have to include previous grants as profit?  Then noone should be down unless you've done fxck all year round

HMRC expects you to make an honest assessment about whether you reasonably believe your business will have a significant reduction in profits.

To make a claim for the third grant your business must have had a new or continuing impact from coronavirus between 1 November 2020 and 29 January 2021, which you reasonably believe will have a significant reduction in your profits.

Is it for the whole tax year though?  Then do you have to include previous grants as profit?  Then noone should be down unless you've done fxck all year round
See above from @Dave B

So how it's understood is, has the impact from Nov - Jan affected your accounting year turnover as a whole. So say you are £1000 down from Nov - Jan. But then you make that £1000 back Feb - April then you wouldn't be entitled to it. So the financial impact in Nov - Jan has to affect your yearly turnover as a whole if that makes sense. You can't just say I lost money in those 3 months and that be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how it's understood is, has the impact from Nov - Jan affected your accounting year turnover as a whole. So say you are £1000 down from Nov - Jan. But then you make that £1000 back Feb - April then you wouldn't be entitled to it. So the financial impact in Nov - Jan has to affect your yearly turnover as a whole if that makes sense. You can't just say I lost money in those 3 months and that be enough.
I don’t agree with that reasoning , if you loose a £1000 worth of work due to covid , and you  then pick up an extra £1000 worth of work you arnt Evan you are still £1000 down as that’s new work although you are earning the same , we don’t qualify for this grant but I would claim given the example I have just used with a clear conscience , and would happily argue that point with HMRC if they wanted to take matters further . 

I don't know, but I understand that no - this is purely down to profit during the months nov to Jan for grant 3, then Feb to apr for grant 4.  It is weird as most who have claimed who were legitimately down in every quarter and claimed are in for a bumper year ?

And btw, I don't have a "social conscience" in claiming what I'm entitled to.  And if the govt decide I can have a bumper year, then I accept their unquestionable wisdom.

I reckon the Gov will have slightly reworded things a few times and in the end they will do what they want as in going after businesses that they don't consider effected and have claimed.

1st  grant I was eligible I stopped working for a time therefore my turnover was down and for a period of weeks due to the wider effect of been behind with work and extra precautions reducing my ability to manage my workload as normal plus some jobs asked me not to call.

2nd I wasn't eligible I was trading as normal and my customer based increased as did my turnover and profits and the extra cost in buying disinfectant doesn't break the bank at £1 a bottle every 4 weeks 

3rd grant not eligible as I consider myself trading as normal. 

Latest Posts

Back